Next year's firewood part II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian S

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, I dunno if you remember this post...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=128745

But early in the year I brought home most of what I'll burn this winter. I got close to filling all my racks but throughout the summer I've burned some off in my fire pit and a couple racks weren't exactly overflowing so I got some more of the same stuff.

4821174512_ee3e1f878f_b.jpg

In my first post I complained that my 6401 with the 20" bar could not get all the way through the bundle so a few months ago I scored a 25" Stihl bar with a dull Stihl skip chain off the trading post. The chain was square ground and I have no idea nor interest in filing square so I re-filed it with a round file and got busy.

4820553629_361c6f1ca6_b.jpg

Don't let anyone tell you that a 6401 shouldn't wear a 24-25" bar, with the skip chain 25" bar it cut just as fast as the 20" and full comp chain. The chips flew out instead of slowly trickling out of the kerf like they did with the 20" setup. I feel no need to step up to the 7900 top end, this saw really pulls great.

The 36" x 41" x 41" bundle is fairly seasoned and weighed 950 lbs on my scale, I'll take it home and make one more cut to split the bundle into two 18" wide bundles and then pissant it all back to the rack. I think from now I'm going to do it like this, cut it into manageable chunks here at work, then truck them home on Friday afternoons. It'll give me something to do on Saturday morning for a few weekends in spring and I'll get to play with the saw more times that I would otherwise.

4820554549_b47ff6a5c8_b.jpg

4821174334_396b9348fe_b.jpg

Ya'll have a great weekend and drink a few beerskis!

Nice!!
We need a pic of your wood pile, you must have the neatest, squarest pile around :hmm3grin2orange:

That saw looks bigger than a 64cc in that photo.....Looks like a monster.

Yeah, it's a big heavy saw. It can be converted to a 79cc saw for pretty cheap, but I don't need any more power.... right now......

Yeah, it's a big heavy saw. It can be converted to a 79cc saw for pretty cheap, but I don't need any more power.... right now......

WHAT??? Turn in your ArboristSite Membership card as you leave!!:chainsawguy:

WHAT??? Turn in your ArboristSite Membership card as you leave!!:chainsawguy:

Yeah yeah yeah, but a man's gotta know his limits!

I'm just a poor hobbyist trying to stay warm, let me again stress POOR.

Latest posts

Back