nice little mill I built today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stilhusk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 60" chainsaw mill i made a few years ago and it works fine but it is heavy (has a 394xp each end) and way too big for the smaller logs. I recently hot rodded my 357xp (port mods, expansion chamber pipe), It's got loads more power so I thought I'd make a small mill for it.
I used a winsor roller tip bar 27" overall length, first I drilled the bar either end with a sharp 8mm tungsten tip drill. I drilled 2 bits of flat bar steel and welded a nut above each hole. I welded the flats to the ends of 19/19mm square tube with the nut inside, then machined the flats so they are square to the tubes.
I drilled two sections of larger square tube and welded nuts above the holes.
The rectangular frame is made from 25/25mm square tube. It measures 500mm/250mm ( I'm really sorry about the metric dimensions but that's how we work in NewZealand)
With the 19/19mm tubes bolted in place on the bar I positioned the frame between them and slotted the tubes with nuts down onto the frame and welded them in place.
Ground an old chain to 0 degrees then milled a 250mm wide board- I fixed a flat board to the log and ran it down that, it is very light weight and it works perfectly!
All this took about 6 hours including sharpening the chain and used about NZ$12 worth of materials (not including the bar, chain and saw of course)

Want to make one?
You need:
2 250mm lengths of 19/19mm tube 1.6mm wall thickness.
2 60mm lengths of 20/3mm flat bar, 8mm hole in the center
2 8mm nuts & bolts 20mm long with washers and spring washers
2 60mm lengths of square tube, 20/20mm inside dimension
2 12mm nuts and bolts 20mm long
2 250mm lengths 25/25mm square tube 1.2mm wall thickness
2 500mm lengths 25/25mm square tube 1.2mm wall thickness

welder, angle grinder, drill press

happy milling !

Nick

Nice mill Nick! I would like to see pics of your larger mill too if you have any. I would like to see one of those doubles run one time.:cheers:

Interesting. Does the pipe hit the log when you're milling?

I's like to see pics of the bigger mill as well.

Nikko

The big mill and one 394 are in bits at the moment- undergoing modification, but I will post pics when I put it back together.
The exhaust is well away from the log but part of it does get a light covering of sawdust.
The log my mill is sitting on in the photo was milled by an 066.

A couple of pics of boards milled today.
The timber is a NewZealand native podocarp called Totora It is a softwood but takes a long time to grow- some trees can be over 600 years old! Fine grained with a pleasant pinkish color, easy to machine but can be a bit brittle.
My 0 deg chain produced a good finish but took a while.
I tried a standard 30 deg full comp round chisel chain and got close to 30mm per second in a 200mm wide plank, not bad for a 357xp I thought.

I have a 60" chainsaw mill i made a few years ago and it works fine but it is heavy (has a 394xp each end) and way too big for the smaller logs. I recently hot rodded my 357xp (port mods, expansion chamber pipe), It's got loads more power so I thought I'd make a small mill for it.
I used a winsor roller tip bar 27" overall length, first I drilled the bar either end with a sharp 8mm tungsten tip drill. I drilled 2 bits of flat bar steel and welded a nut above each hole. I welded the flats to the ends of 19/19mm square tube with the nut inside, then machined the flats so they are square to the tubes.
I drilled two sections of larger square tube and welded nuts above the holes.
The rectangular frame is made from 25/25mm square tube. It measures 500mm/250mm ( I'm really sorry about the metric dimensions but that's how we work in NewZealand)
With the 19/19mm tubes bolted in place on the bar I positioned the frame between them and slotted the tubes with nuts down onto the frame and welded them in place.
Ground an old chain to 0 degrees then milled a 250mm wide board- I fixed a flat board to the log and ran it down that, it is very light weight and it works perfectly!
All this took about 6 hours including sharpening the chain and used about NZ$12 worth of materials (not including the bar, chain and saw of course)

Want to make one?
You need:
2 250mm lengths of 19/19mm tube 1.6mm wall thickness.
2 60mm lengths of 20/3mm flat bar, 8mm hole in the center
2 8mm nuts & bolts 20mm long with washers and spring washers
2 60mm lengths of square tube, 20/20mm inside dimension
2 12mm nuts and bolts 20mm long
2 250mm lengths 25/25mm square tube 1.2mm wall thickness
2 500mm lengths 25/25mm square tube 1.2mm wall thickness

welder, angle grinder, drill press

happy milling !

Nick

+1 !
Good looking mill, thanks for the info! :clap:

Latest posts