No good deed goes unpunished

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last spring I got permission to remove a grove of Black Locust in the middle of a farmers field.
Those things make a big mess when they hit the ground. About half of them could be made to fall inside the grove needing only limbing with trash left as is. Great. The other half (8 or 9) would fall in the field. Not so great. Thought of Ben, a member of the guard and working several jobs.

I already have enough (60+ cord) to probably last me what years I have left. So... not wanting the clean up problem I offered Ben, a buddy, all of those with the stipulation he had to contact the owner and get permission to work in there.

Fast forward to a month ago with harvest in full swing I saw Ben and asked if he had the permission. "No, I haven't asked yet and don't want to bug him during harvest"...Okay, fine. Last week he finally called, got no answer from Steve (not a surprise as he is notorious for not returning calls".

So...still not wanting the mess cleanup I offered to work with him using my truck (he supply the gas) figuring Steve wouldn't mind that arrangement.

Okay, now I'm into doing half the work. Not too bad and getting to cut with someone hasn't happened but a few times in all these years.

So today was first work day. Me, Ben and Ben's kid. I knew it was an offer that should never have been made when he started on a log I had already down and bushed out. Painful to see, Poulan Pro -35 (too much dirt to see the first digit) 20", chain very dull.

So...3 hours I fell two trees, brushed out two, bucked two while he was chewing his way through one. He did load the truck while I was finishing my second tree. that alone was worth having him with me. Sonny boy got his rear chewed out by daddy for being basically a useless hanger around instead of picking up trash like he was there for.

So, I'm stuck, made the offer and will live with it but I'm going to have to do almost all the work. I can't wait for him to get a free day now an then. Those trees need to be out of there in a couple weeks. I'll work every couple days solo and with him when he can. Days I work solo I'll haul it home and dump it in a separate pile and he can pick it up later. I did find out when we unloaded at his house that he has almost no wood left.

Really not as bad (except for the clean-up) as I made it out to be. I need the exercise and a few hours day playing with the saws it worth a bunch. I did bring his saw home and will sharpen it for him. Probably needs a good cleanup also from the looks of the outside.

Harry K

Good for you to help him. One thought though, if he is willing to learn you might show him how to take care of his saw. I learned the hard way on how to sharpen a chain. Suffered the sore arms and back from wrestling a dull saw for longer then I care to remember. My uncle laughed at me but never bothered to show me how. 20 minutes of his time would have saved me a lot of trouble.
The return on your investment would surely pay off in the end.

Harry, that's a good thing you did. Wasn't how you'd envisioned it but a good deed has its own rewards.

Well...it obviously *is* your hobby dorking around with saws, felling, bucking, figuring out how to get wood from A to B, etc.

some times things go smooth, other times...that's what makes it interesting!

Dang wish I was closer, my neighbor and me would have that done in a weekend and we would be grateful to get the wood.

Dang wish I was closer, my neighbor and me would have that done in a weekend and we would be grateful to get the wood.

No problem with giving it away. I have another guy who would take it in a flash but Ben was first in line.

Adding to the pot. Sharpened his saw this morning. It is a Poulan 335 Pro. has been to several different wars, dirt caked on. Cleaned bar grooves with my Stihl depth gauge, grove raker tool. Had to scrape HARD to get through the stuff caked on the bottom of the grooves. Only thing half way clean was the air filter - there were still a few spots one could see light shining hrough. Gave it a good gasoline soak and toothbrushing. I know that he did not put many hours on that saw, probably given to him since the last time I cut with/for him. He had his new big box (IIANM was a wild thing) and it was stolen shortly after that.

Finished sharping and decided to drag out my old Husky 51 - been years since I ran it. Fresh gas, lots of pulls and it fired up, sharpted that chain and will give him the saw plus a couple loops "to use until I ask for it back". I vaguely recall that it didn't like to start after shutting down warm.

Harry K

Chainsaws are like tools and guns; I might let you borrow them, but first I'll show you how I take care of them. If I get them back looking like someone has molested or otherwise misused them, you can go to the rental place next time.

Good for you on giving someone the benefit of the doubt though, and sometimes just getting the chance to run a saw is worth a bit of trouble. :chainsaw:

This, my friend, is what's known as a "teaching opportunity". I know you generally don't sharpen in the field, but how about inviting him over to the workbench for a couple lessons when he stops in to pick up wood?

That 335 ain't a bad little saw either. Like most of the newer Poulans, that 20" bar is a bit optimistic, but they're a good little midsize saw. I think they're 50-55cc, somewhere in there.

Thanks for helping those that could use (and sounds like they deserve) a little help.

No problem with giving it away. I have another guy who would take it in a flash but Ben was first in line.

Adding to the pot. Sharpened his saw this morning. It is a Poulan 335 Pro. has been to several different wars, dirt caked on. Cleaned bar grooves with my Stihl depth gauge, grove raker tool. Had to scrape HARD to get through the stuff caked on the bottom of the grooves. Only thing half way clean was the air filter - there were still a few spots one could see light shining hrough. Gave it a good gasoline soak and toothbrushing. I know that he did not put many hours on that saw, probably given to him since the last time I cut with/for him. He had his new big box (IIANM was a wild thing) and it was stolen shortly after that.

Finished sharping and decided to drag out my old Husky 51 - been years since I ran it. Fresh gas, lots of pulls and it fired up, sharpted that chain and will give him the saw plus a couple loops "to use until I ask for it back". I vaguely recall that it didn't like to start after shutting down warm.

Harry K

First, good on you for helping out another!

As for both chainsaws, maybe check the plugs to make sure the gap is still appropriate for the machine. Then if you have a tachometer, check the high and low on each and adjust them if necessary. (It usually is if the saw has any amount of hours on them) And adjust the idle. You'd be surprised how snappy those older chainsaws get once they are tune properly.

That reminds me, I need to do mine again! I usually only do them once a year, more if they're used heavily.

For those who don't know how or are unfamiliar check this site: (they are also an arborist site supporter)
Chainsawr Adjustment and Tuning of a Chainsaw Carburetor

Harry K

I have a husky 51 that i purchased new; it's now about twenty years old; the main instruction the saw shop guys gave me was to be sure to use premium nonethanol fuel, never said much about what chain oil to use; been using the tall timber stuff from the local farm supply store for the last 17 years or so and been humming along just fine; an acquaintance suggested to use the Husky brand oil 'cause it hangs on the chain/bar better, so I tried it, and yes it's more sticky so it should work better but didn't notice enough difference to account for the higher cost. Put one chain brake on it and maybe one air filter on it in all those years, been a darn good saw, paid for itself many times over. Never had any issues with it starting when cold or hot.

Good of you to offer to sharpen the guy's saw.....and as someone suggested perhaps show the guy how it's done. I started cutting with my father when I was around 15, first day out I put the bar in the dirt bucking up a hard maple, he stopped what he was doing and said now's a good time to learn to how sharpen, he had made a gizmo that held the saw down on the truck tailgate so I got my first lesson right there; I'll be sure to pass that along to my boy when he gets old enough to run a saw. When friends ask about buying a saw or just questions in general about sharpening, etc., I offer a lesson if they're interested....I mention one of the worst things you can do is operate with a dull chain, hard on you and the saw.

I have a husky 51 that i purchased new; it's now about twenty years old; the main instruction the saw shop guys gave me was to be sure to use premium nonethanol fuel, never said much about what chain oil to use; been using the tall timber stuff from the local farm supply store for the last 17 years or so and been humming along just fine; an acquaintance suggested to use the Husky brand oil 'cause it hangs on the chain/bar better, so I tried it, and yes it's more sticky so it should work better but didn't notice enough difference to account for the higher cost. Put one chain brake on it and maybe one air filter on it in all those years, been a darn good saw, paid for itself many times over. Never had any issues with it starting when cold or hot.

Good of you to offer to sharpen the guy's saw.....and as someone suggested perhaps show the guy how it's done. I started cutting with my father when I was around 15, first day out I put the bar in the dirt bucking up a hard maple, he stopped what he was doing and said now's a good time to learn to how sharpen, he had made a gizmo that held the saw down on the truck tailgate so I got my first lesson right there; I'll be sure to pass that along to my boy when he gets old enough to run a saw. When friends ask about buying a saw or just questions in general about sharpening, etc., I offer a lesson if they're interested....I mention one of the worst things you can do is operate with a dull chain, hard on you and the saw.

I'll invite him out for the next sharping session. Was out today and had to touch up my sharpening from yesterday. It wanted to cut in a curve. We have a 'work day' out there tomorrow, hope to take down and clean up one tree. there are only 4 left now.

Dodged a bullet today. Bucked up a tree I fell last time, worked top to bottom. Next to last cut on the butt I was really 'eating wood' as I noticed a piece of wire sticking out of the grass. Stopped the saw right on the verge of grabbing it. I had forgotten about that wire. The only wire I have found in two seasons working out there and it has been in my way though both seasons. Just a good sized ball of hog/barbwire in the weeds that I kept moving back and forth around that stump. Dunno how I forgot it was there.

Harry K

Nice day working with him. Fell, bucked and cleaned up the mess from one tree plus the butt log from one we left last time.

Gave him a quick lesson on "letting the saw do the work", i.e., seem to have cured him if the constant back/forth, up/down action and showed him that a sharp chain needs no down force applied.

3 trees and and a totally dead small one to go. I'll probably go on Thursday or Fri solo and then Satruday with him.

Odd thing in that field. The grove is around a spring on the East end. Water trickles out of a hole about 8' down into the ditch. Never been a sign of a problem out in the field. I cut all year last year there and up to harvest this year. Drive anyplace on very dry ground. Sometime in late August a wet spot broke out about 20' away from the original sping in the field. I had been driving right through that area all summer, not a sign of it. Last week after harvest I almost go stuck in that spot. It is growing by leaps and bound and now has a running trickle feeded the orginal creek. this is semi arid farm country. For a spring to suddenly develop in late summer is unheard of.

Harry K

Nice day working with him. Fell, bucked and cleaned up the mess from one tree plus the butt log from one we left last time.

Gave him a quick lesson on "letting the saw do the work", i.e., seem to have cured him if the constant back/forth, up/down action and showed him that a sharp chain needs no down force applied.

3 trees and and a totally dead small one to go. I'll probably go on Thursday or Fri solo and then Satruday with him.

Odd thing in that field. The grove is around a spring on the East end. Water trickles out of a hole about 8' down into the ditch. Never been a sign of a problem out in the field. I cut all year last year there and up to harvest this year. Drive anyplace on very dry ground. Sometime in late August a wet spot broke out about 20' away from the original sping in the field. I had been driving right through that area all summer, not a sign of it. Last week after harvest I almost go stuck in that spot. It is growing by leaps and bound and now has a running trickle feeded the orginal creek. this is semi arid farm country. For a spring to suddenly develop in late summer is unheard of.

Harry K

Pipe leak :msp_w00t:

Back