no good firewood story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
at my full time job today, a nurse comes up to me and asks if i still have any firewood left.
i say yes, $150/cord includes delivery, $25 extra to stack.

she says, "okay, don't worry about stacking."

hands me a piece of paper with directions to her house
and her phone number.

gets out her checkbook and writes a check for $150.

then...

"wait, what is the length of the firewood?"

"20-22 inches."

"oh that's too long. can you cut 'em in half?"

"yeah, but the price will up a little."

"how much more?"

"$50"

"oh, that's too much!"

tears up check and walks out the door.

:monkey: some people just want something for nothing.
oh well, one less thing for me to do this weekend.

That sucks

It would be good if you had wood 16 to 18' in length.

And some stove wood wood that is 12" and less.

I can see it would be a lot of work cut a cord of wood in half.

I get plenty of wood that is cut short I set it aside for customers who want shorter lengths.

David

keep your cuts at 16" and you will never go wrong! My buddy has an OWB and when we get together to do some cutting we always kid him about his habit of leaving the logs long. Put a tape measure on the one and he gives us that wry look before cutting through it with the saw:chainsaw:

So help me God, I always end up cutting it short...

HONESTLY...it's 14" long...I swear!!!!

Am I the only one that uses the bar as my measurement tool? My splitter will take 25" and I cut my wood 24" (the tip to sight line on chain cover is 24"). Then again maybe I'm way to fussy about it.:confused:

I cut my own firewood @ 20 - 22", but i always cut some at 16" to sell as thats is by far the most popular size around here. $200 / cord cut & split would be a bargain around here. If thats seasoned....... thats a huge bargain.

16" too 18" seems too be the standard for "most" woodstoves. I built a saw buck with uprights at 16" so that if I buck wood with it, I'm always close without a measure each time. In the field I'll use my bar (18") as a quick and dirty.

Am I the only one that uses the bar as my measurement tool? My splitter will take 25" and I cut my wood 24" (the tip to sight line on chain cover is 24"). Then again maybe I'm way to fussy about it.:confused:

It is my brother and I cutting all our wood. When we first started, we had anything from 13" - maybe 22" lengths. What a PITA to stack. It didn't take us long to figure out that if we mark every saw with a 16" mark that we would do a much better job.:cheers:

Yeah, I use my bar also. And if my bar isn't long enough, I actually make a mark on my clutch cover with a permanent black magic marker. It wears off, but I just refresh it every now and then. I never try for perfection, but most of my wood comes out within an inch or so each other.

Years ago........ I actually tried using one of those rigs that sticks a plastic or thin steel rod out the side of the saw :)newbie:). I know.... total rookie move, but I've just never been good at eyeballing and having the length consistant. Thos were a total waste of time and money, as they always broke or bent every time I put the saw down. Marking the bar is quick, cheap, and effective. :cheers:

That stinks. I ususally cut mine between 16-18, some get to be 20, and I have a few customers who scream cause their stove is an insert and will only barley fit 16"'s. they have to put 20's in at an angle. I said thats fine, go pay the guy down the road that has a processor and every log is 16 or under.

Guess she will be cold, huh.

She could always get a buck saw and cut the pieces in half herself...maybe next time she won't balk at the price.

Am I the only one that uses the bar as my measurement tool

I measure by my bar (20").

Dad had a mark scratched in the clutch cover of his XL-12.

My stove can take 24" logs...I've tried those but I found I don't like feeding logs that long. 20", 22" work well.

Anyone have any experience with one of these length markers? I think if I bought a tri-axle of 'straight' logs at a time I would think about something like this, but for me its always easier to use the bar as a guide when possible. I don't have any equipment, and I take everything from trees I'm cutting (crotches, etc), and split by hand, so by the time you factor all that in, my log lengths are from 10"-20".

http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5MI-265

I would like to buy one, but it looks like northerntool doesn't sell them anymore. I kind of like seeing things in person before ordering off the internet.

I have the issue of odd size logs when friends come to cut for a day with me. Logs will be from 13"-22"!? And I can't complain about it because they're working to heat my house!

I use a Mingo myself. Really nice on tree length logs. Mark 16" as fast as you can walk. My homemade splittter has an opening only 18" so I really need to be fairly accurate. They are a hard plastic so you need to watch you dont step on it or hit it with piece of wood.

I just take a tape measure and a can off road marking spray paint and just go down the log. I think the measuring with the bar is not as easy and not as accurate.

I can't explain it either, but I also end up with wildly varying lengths. I could stand there and "visualize" the final length I want, and after it's cut..too long or short!! It all still burns though. I provide fairly uniform lengths if given to someone else.

Back