nobody carries any winter blend bar oil around here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walmart and VIP have it around here in the winter. My dealer usually orders in a case or two a winter for me and says I'm one of the only people who ask for it. Man do I hate it when it warms up and my saw is full of low temp oil, the huskys are leaky enough. Nothing like having a whole tank of oil on the floor.

Put some JB Weld on the seals of your oil tank...my only thought

I sawed in below freezing temps last week. The regular Stihl oil worked fine but a quart of Poulan oil I had was like molasses, would barely come out of the bottle.

I just run the regular stuff from stihl (orange bottle). I'll cut it down with diesel if it gets too cold. Tried the low-temp stuff one time and I had oil everywhere, just seemed a little too thin for me. Ended up mixing it with the regular stuff to get rid of it. My dealer is always tryin to peddle the low-temp oil. They must have a crap-load they cant sell.

I cut some last year at 5 below. Used regular stihl oil, it was awesomely good :) I just let the saw warm up for a couple minutes and kept my gas/oil and bar oil in the cab. No problem at all :)

Yeah i agree...regular bar oil is fine just keep it and the saw in the cab on the way to the site.

OP: Haven't you used the 361 much? That saw is amazing...just fire it up and park it next to the tree and go back to the truck and warm up. After 5 minutes go back out there and it will be felled and bucked. It doesn't care what kind of bar oil you have in there.

Yeah i agree...regular bar oil is fine just keep it and the saw in the cab on the way to the site.

OP: Haven't you used the 361 much? That saw is amazing...just fire it up and park it next to the tree and go back to the truck and warm up. After 5 minutes go back out there and it will be felled and bucked. It doesn't care what kind of bar oil you have in there.

I love my 361, best saw I have ever run

Find a hardware store that sells "Do-It" brand, I really like their summer and winter weights and use them regularly.

In my opinion, they are a bit thicker than others and seem to be very tacky.

Mark

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Hasn't any one operated a ketchup or mustard bottle??

Here's how; un-cork, turn the jug, and squeeze. . . .

you can cut half the seal so the oil doesn't come out in such big glugs. .

went to pick up my poly flue brushes and was checking out the bar oils,,they had echo,poulan pro and master mechanic bar oils,,,i picked up a gallon of the master mechanic,,shook it and compare it to the echo and it was a lot thinner,,,so i bought a gallon of it for $10.00 got home with it and poured some out,,it is thinner and has close to the same tackyness as the echo,,so i am going to try it this winter cutting and see how it does,,the way it looks it should flow a lot better then the echo bar oil

o8 - Have you tried veggie or a blend of veggie and bar oil? Cutting the oil with kero like mentioned before is a good idea. 10 bucks for bar oil seems crazy to me.

o8 - Have you tried veggie or a blend of veggie and bar oil? Cutting the oil with kero like mentioned before is a good idea. 10 bucks for bar oil seems crazy to me.

that is about the cheapiest around this part of the country,,i know i have about a quart left of echo oil in a gallon jug that i will mix with kerosene and try it too,,,i am just looking at my options right now

I guess I'm lucky up here on prices compared to you guys! The veggie may be worth a shot. I don't really have any issues with it even on long bars. On the bar lengths you have tackifiers are a non-issue IMHO. :givebeer:

I used veggie oil all summer and ended up rejecting it as an option. It seems too tacky and attracts lots of dust that sticks to everything. I don't mind a dirty looking saw but this stuff results in an extra-crusty one.

went out to the shop this morn and shook that gallon of master mechanic bar oil and it wasn't much thicker at all

Latest posts

Back