Noob Question: Side Track Mill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knot_Smart

Personally, I Like Myself
Reaction score
First post here but I've been lurking a bit, mostly to ease my CAD issues and more recently my urge to try some milling. I've been enjoying all the pics and details on milling and hope to build one myself which brings me to my query about the single track jobs that I've seen here.

I don't know what you call them but I'm talking about the mills that have the saw mounted to a trolley type frame that that runs along the ground on one side of the log, not over the top so the bar is 'free' at the nose end. Is there anything that makes this design more stressful for the saw and anything in particular to consider when adopting this style?

Right now I have access to a basic Alaskan style rig at my work and as soon as I get a decent saw I'll be trying that first but I'm itching to make something on my own and thought the single track would be better for the following reasons;
No need for portability, I would haul logs on a trailer and roll them right up to the mill (easy right? har har!)
Small logs, guessing 12' long and 20-25" wide max.
Focus will be on making the saw frame and trolley track on the heavy side for stability, durability and smooth rolling. My bones are about wore out and it looks like it might make my life a wee bit easier compared to other styles?

Saw will likely be a Stihl 038, at first. I believe it's a super or mag (has dual port muff, full wrap, deep side cover) and I'm working on a deal for that right now. It obviously needs a lot of love but first thing will be pulling the muffler and going from there.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Welcome to the site. Google the Norwood Portamill and see if that is along the lines of what you want. Your description is a little vague. Once we are all talking apples to apples and oranges to oranges, we can come up with plenty of designs. I use an Alaskan with my Stihl 660. But, I just retired and plan to start building a log cabin on my farm. I'm thinking along the lines of the portamill, Joe.

another idea: make the saw-on-a-jack stationary and next to a trackway (maybe even bolted/welded to the edge of the gorilla rack; put the log on trollies on the track to be pulled onto the saw (instead of putting the saw on the trolly)

Thanks for the replies and the drawing, that pretty much sums it up! I just checked the site mentioned above and after seeing their prices I think the only way this is feasible as a DIY is my scenario where I'd be using mostly reclaimed materials (think scrounged or leftovers from jobs etc). Right now I'm lacking the track bits but I'm fairly confident in finding something without too much trouble. As for moving the log instead of the saw, I never thought of that, it almost sounds too professional for me!

How do you think this style compares as far as wear on the saw goes? With the bar through-bolted in an Alaskan style rig there's almost no stress on the saw body, where this arrangement with the bar nose free it puts all the strain on the saw (sorta like bucking does but it's a much harder rip cut). I'm thinking with proper set up and shooting for a cutting speed that mimics a gravity/self feeding Alaskan this should be fine right?
Thanks

Seems to me the best way to build semi portable csm is to build a two rail base that the log lays on and a 4post top part to hold saw and bar horizontal and roll down the rails like a bsm does. Plus if you get big into sawing you could convert it into a bsm later.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

It looks like I will have a larger work space come spring time so I will have more options to consider then. For now I'm going to concentrate on gathering materials and try to gain some experience using the Alaskan set up at my work. I think any improvements with technique there should help with my own set up too. Thanks again for the ideas and info, I will follow up with future progress. Mike

Latest posts

Back