Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dry, yeah, and cold. Cracked an elbow falling on ice this week. Rain's supposed to return Mondayish. You guys have been getting all of our precipitation, which, really is for the best -- hopefully this winter kills the last few years' drought for you.
As I understand it, the surface water drought is officially over for Norcal. The south state didn't get near the precip we did. The big unknown is how how long it will take for the seriously overdrawn aquifers in the central valley to recharge. Given how much subsidence has occurred, for many places recharge is just a dream.

As I understand it, the surface water drought is officially over for Norcal. The south state didn't get near the precip we did. The big unknown is how how long it will take for the seriously overdrawn aquifers in the central valley to recharge. Given how much subsidence has occurred, for many places recharge is just a dream.

I hear that. I saw how low Shasta Lake was last year -- there were marinas stranded on rock a couple hundred feet above the water, boats and all. Groundwater? It's poorly understood how quickly they can recharge. It's either a couple of years or a couple of thousand years and not much in between. Let's keep our fingers crossed for the former, and plan for the latter.

This is the root ball from the fallen oak pictured in Tyler's post above. It finally yielded after being attacked from 3 sides with the back hoe.
miniGTG - 1.jpg

Root ball held up by back hoe. Note the front wheels are off the ground. We put 4 heavy rounds on the loader, supplemented by Eccentric and myself riding on the rounds. That put the wheels on the ground.
miniGTG - 2.jpg

Rounds still left to be collected and split. Hole from root in foreground.
miniGTG - 3.jpg

HEAVY load of wet oak in pickup, more rounds in the rear.
miniGTG - 4.jpg

Getting ready to drop a mostly dead maple. It was gonna drop anyway, better at our convenience.
miniGTG - 5.jpg

Jeremy doing some prep prior work.
miniGTG - 5.5.jpg

Eccentric finishing face cut.
miniGTG - 6.jpg

Self explanatory.
miniGTG - 7.jpg

Afterwards we feasted on pulled pork sammies, chips, slaw, and pickles. Mmmmmmm.
Thanks, Tyler, for giving us the opportunity to have so much fun.

Dry, yeah, and cold. Cracked an elbow falling on ice this week. Rain's supposed to return Mondayish. You guys have been getting all of our precipitation, which, really is for the best -- hopefully this winter kills the last few years' drought for you.

I-80 today near Donner Summit and Truckee, CA. Don't think I'll be driving to Reno, NV today.

16114090_1356388524381270_8412038972998616163_n.jpg

IMG_0247.JPG You guys made quick work of that oak. I should let the trees pile up (not literally) before calling on y'all. It feels like every time you come out we run out of stuff to cut. Great pics Charlie !! Thank you all for coming out. We always have a blast. I have to say I'm blessed with a woman who can cook pretty darn good.

That's got to be about 20 ft or more huh jimmy?

About par for a normal winter. There was a 22 ft snowpack when the Donner Party was stranded up there. In October 1993, about 8 feet of snow fell in 8 hours at the Donner Summit Fire Station. There was 8 ft of snow in Truckee during the Memorial Day Weekend of 1995 when we helped my son move from Truckee down to Orangeville. During that weekend, my DIL's dad slipped and fell real hard on the snow and ice in their slippery driveway. The locals in Truckee carry about 400# of sandbags in the beds of their 4WD pickup trucks during winters there.

I may have to pick your brain a bit about that. What exactly should I do to it? Atpchas' Oregon worked great, should I just splurge for a machine that I know will work correctly?

Back