Northern Grinder shims

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplemeister

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just received my Northern Grinder via UPS and wondered if anyone out there is still able to proved the shim washer kit that was mentioned in the past threads regarding this tool. If so, please send me a private message and I will be glad to send a reasonable amount for your trouble. Many thanks.

Maplemeister: :cheers:

Thanks for the reply Blackdogon but I have all-ready made all the modifications previously mentioned on the site except for the large washer
that separates the two aluminum sections of the vice base. I would prefer to install a metal one so I only have to do this once, and was hoping someone who made them previously on the site might still have one laying around.

Maplemeister: :cheers::cheers:

Thanks for the reply Blackdogon but I have all-ready made all the modifications previously mentioned on the site except for the large washer
that separates the two aluminum sections of the vice base. I would prefer to install a metal one so I only have to do this once, and was hoping someone who made them previously on the site might still have one laying around.

Maplemeister: :cheers::cheers:

Maple, I have sent two of the guys involved in the washer/shim deal pm's and neither one replied. I did all the mods mentioned except the washer/shim and mine sharpens chains just fine, it takes finesse and consistancy though.
I sharpened 2 chains for my 272 and 254 and have done 10 chains for the processor and I have been very happy with them all. As I went through them I could see the patterns of hand filing showing why they weren't cutting as good as they could be.

Howdy Moss:

I found a piece of sheet brass lying around this morning about 15 thousandth's thickness and cut a washer out of that with some heavy shears. I am not a fabricator and don't know if the brass and aluminum will work together or not but I thought I'd give it a try anyway and see what happens. I also cut some brass shims for inside the vice base and am in the process of epoxying them in this morning. Will let you know how that all turns out later on. I did all the other mods as mentioned and added one additional mod. The motor head unit was not quite accurate when set at 90 degrees so I installed a brass washer in the slot the head travels in to correct that issue. After doing that, I checked the accuracy of the motor head to the chain vice with an angular Gage, and it is right on. I also trued up the vice rails so they are at 90 degrees to the motor head when set at 90 degrees. I had sharpened a couple of chains before doing any mods, and the only real problem I saw was that the teeth were not being ground down in an equal length from left to right sides of the chain. Hopefully that issue will be resolved with the mods I have undertaken. Like you, I had requested a washer shim kit a while back with no results. I suspect the fella's that were doing them got sick of all the requests, and discontinued the offer. Quite frankly, I can't say that I blame them. When you make an offer like that on a site this large, you are probably going to get buried in requests. Pouring rain here today just like yesterday, so turned out to be a good day to work on the saws, Chains, and chain grinder. More later.

Maple:

Latest posts

Back