Northern Grinder ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just got my grinder and cleaned up the castings. I hope they still make the shim kits for them. The grinding wheel seem to vibrate allot so I got another wheel form a local saw shop and ordered two from baileys but did not help. So I returned the grinder and got another, this one seems a little better it has more of an up and down wobble as apposed to side to side. I notice the stones don fit tight on the shaft. My question is, is this normal for this grinder and will I still get satisfactory results?

Which Model did you Get? Is it the Oregon Knockoff? I Like mine now that I have everything Lubed,Tight, smooth. There is a little Lateral Play But I use that to Just Kiss the cutters when touching up. If you have a plastic one Go Back, It won't make you happy.

I have the Oregon Knockoff. Does you wheel wobble side to side or up and down?

My wheel spins pretty true. When I get home tonight I'll go out and try to wiggle it by hand and report back. I'm pretty happy with mine, It's Waaaayyyy Better than the $30 Ebay cheepies, they Fgnsuk.

The shaft on mine seems slightly bent, I do have a little wobble.

It still sharpens just fine as far as I can tell.

Just went out and checked mine, The wheel has no movement. No up/Down or side to side. The only slop in the whole thing is in the frame it's self which isn't much and I use the slop to come in and Just Kiss the cutters when needed. Other times I just come straight in.

I Hope you can get yours figured out (Or get another good one)

They're still a bit rough even with the shim kits. I've often wished I had the green to buy one of those maxx grinders. Not going to happen tho, and the china cheepies do sharpen the chain, just not with as much finesse as the genuine article.

Ian

Have to dress the wheel...

Some new wheels are ballanced better than others,,but like using a surface grinder,,,anytime you take the wheel off and put it back on later,,you will have to dress it...I wish I could explane it better,,but with the clearance on the arbor hole on the wheel and the high speed of the grinder it trows it off ballance anytime you change a wheel...Had a few on my Oregon grinder that was pretty good and one 1/4 width wheel I thought was gonna blow apart till I dressed it,,it shook that bad...

i have the northern grinder and sharpen a pretty lot of chains with it over the last couple of months it still seems tight and does a good job for the price i would by another one as they are soo cheap... maybe when you put a new wheel on you could use one of those wheel dressing blocks to true it up that's what i do they give you a small one that works for the first few times

goodluck

:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Just ordered grinder

I got the grinder that sells for $95.00.I haven't recieved it yet.What size wheel does it take.I want to get a flat one for the depth gauges.(66mm equals what)Shaft hole is what size?
thanks
Ed

Noethern Grinder

Can anyone help with the wheel size for the 95.00 unit.Arbor hole size and wheel dia.
Haven't recieved unit yet and want to get a flat wheel for itNo dementions given in online manual.
thanks
Ed

I believe the the center mounting hole is 7/8 and the dia is 5 5/8. I bought 2 4" wheels for my cheeeeepie $30 grinder and their too small (Dia) for the oregon knockoff. though the center hole is the same.

wheels!!

gentleman thanks for the help!Urbicide tryed giving you an ata boy but they wouldn't let me!!thanks again
Ed

So...I am putting together an order for one a these $95 units and want to get a spare wheel in case the main wheel is broken etc.. But, they only list the replacement for the Oregon and not the cheaper 193020 grinders? Do they not sell spares?

I see the baileys link above, but is that also for sharpening the teeth or just rakers?

So...I am putting together an order for one a these $95 units and want to get a spare wheel in case the main wheel is broken etc.. But, they only list the replacement for the Oregon and not the cheaper 193020 grinders? Do they not sell spares?

I see the baileys link above, but is that also for sharpening the teeth or just rakers?

The large width grinding wheel is for lowering the rakers (depth gages). You will need a smaller width wheel for sharpening your chains. The actual width you will need is dependent upon the pitch of the chain. What are you running? You will also need a dressing block which is used to form the correct shape on the outer edge of the grinding wheel. This edge is what comes in contact with the teeth on the chain.

I just picked up some of that .325 X .063 chisel with the 17" bar-n-chain combo from Bailey's. I also have some other .328 & small Stihl chain for my pole pruner and some smaller chain for my Dolmar 401 (Woodland Pro from Bailey's).

The Northern site shows wheels for the high dollar machine specifically by referencing the part number, but not the cheaper units. This just had me worried about fitment and availability in the future.

Does anyone think the Oregon wheels will fit the knockoff is my main question?

Yes, if the grinder you're getting is the chinese 511 knockoff, any wheel that will fit the 511 will fit it.

Ian

Back