Northern Tool Powerhorse 20T dual split review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakers

Owner - Arbor Jake's Tree Service, LLC
Reaction score
this winter i purchased the northern tool powerhouse 20 ton dual split log splitter on sale and assembled for $950. i had been tossin around the idea of pickin up a northstar Vertical/Horizantal splitter in the 20 ton range just for the small stuff and splitting by myself. i already have a huge splitter with a log lift and all the power in the world for the big ones but it works best with two or three people. i wanted something small and compact, easy to move, easy to store, and ultimately an easy to use one man splitter. this powerhouse 20T fit the bill perfectly. the tongue weight is very manageable at around 30 pounds. pulls easily with the 4-wheeler or moves by hand. its short (61" tongue to rear) when the cyl is retracted. comes with a log table on both sides to make life easy. seems to have plenty of power splitting in both directions and rarely even kicking down in the twisted stringy ash i split. havint the "split both ways" option is actually very handy in stringy wood. i can see it not being so much of an advantage in nice straight grained oak or good ash but then the fiskars is faster anyway.

a couple things that could be better:
-(as mentioned in another review i read) a better guard or shield for the engine. even just extending the right side log table would help protect the engine from dropping a piece of wood on it.
-slightly bigger hydro tank would be nice but would add weight. i split for over an hour and i could still hold my hand on the pump as long as i wanted but in a warmer climate that may not be the case
-taller wedge. the bigger rounds (10" and up) didnt split all the way through to the top. im sure if i wasnt splitting stringy wood this wouldnt be an issue at all. im also spoiled with my big splitter and a 14" wedge. i also have to remember that the wedge is welded onto/into the inner square tube that is only 1/4" thick so a taller wedge would just rip out that much easier

I will say that it looks like it would be a royal pain in the buns to assemble so maybe pay to have it done if you arent very good with hydro lines and wrenches in tight spaces. i bought mine assembled already as it was a display model and the only one they had in stock so i forced them to wave the assembly fees. i do understand that the quality and longevity arent going to be the same as the bigger I-beam splitters but im sure it will last me a long time anyway. sooner or later the chonda will puke out and ill just slap another on there for $200 and run it some more. i wouldnt expect it to split 100 cords a year but id see no reason why 10 or 20 couldnt be put through it as i intend to find out

All in all id say its a good splitter. for the price you could have a standard V/H splitter and if that fits your needs then go for it. if youre looking for a compact yet powerful easy to move and store splitter with fast cycle time, then this will serve you great.

Powerhorse Horizontal Dual Split Log Splitter — 20-Ton, 208cc | Log Splitters| Northern Tool + Equipment
11571_1_lg.jpg

Do you have an old junk riding lawnmower kicking around? Seems you could cut up the front end and use some of the box frame and hood to cover your splitter engine.

I have the same on except PTO powered. I've split 12 cord so far with no issues & I think they are a pretty good value.

Northern tool has now discontinued this model and the other smaller model of dual split. mine is still going strong. i will be using it tomorrow again and ill snap some pics of the few mods i have made. from the other reviews on this and other brands the dual split design seems to be fairly stout. whichever brand you get should be good

Here is a whole thread on the 2 way splitter.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ran-a-2-way-splitter-sunday.190097/

I think that you can still buy it as a 'GNE' (Great Norther Equipment) product with a Honda engine.

Philbert

EDIT: OOPS! Looks like the GNE has also been discontinued!

EDIT II: OK, now it is sold as the 'Brave' 2 way splitter. Looks the same. Can't tell if they changed the name and paint, or if it is a copy/clone.

These are the pictures of mine after two seasons of use. i've probably split 20 or so cords with it to date

I had to extend the rack on the motor side after dropping a split on the dipstick breather and breaking it. i made my own set-up out of pipe fittings. also sharpened the knife to a fine edge as the 1/16 flat edge from the factory tended to ball up with fibers in the stringy stuff. i had some trouble with the wood slipping on the ends so i welded beads on the plates. the two 3/8 X 3/4 flats they had on each side from the factory just didn't cut it. also added a gauge. i will most likely add a couple inches to the top of the wedge. its 7 inches tall now but i'm used to my old big splitter with an 18 inch wedge so im thinking maybe 3 inches on top set in just a bit so it doesn't split as much as just cut the strings on the taller pieces

IMAG0213.jpg IMAG0215.jpg IMAG0221.jpg IMAG0220.jpg IMAG0217.jpg IMAG0218.jpg IMAG0219.jpg

I thought yours was in side and I thought it was Electric then I saw the motor that would be a great machine I think with a 5 hp 220 electric motor and a three stage pump wow to run in side my single electric splitter for inside my shop several people have tried to buy it but it ain't for sale in my life time. Might buy one and convert it to electric just to have My wife said our tax man said we need to buy something we running out of write offs. The thing would proble get me hurt. My electric is faster than I am so 2 times the cutting speed wow

Back