Northstar VS Huskee.Which way would you go?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
I am looking at a buying a new splitter, mine bit the dust in a way that cant be feasibly repaired and in the end I would just simply bust it again anyway.I am looking at the Northstar 37 ton, and also the Huskee 35 ton. Both are within a hundred bucks of each other, but each have their good points.

North star has the idle controlled 270 cc Honda engine, Huskee has the 342 cc Briggs. Both have 14 second cycle time.

Anyone got any input?

The valve placement would have me leaning towards the Huskee. I always use my left hand on the valve and my right for positioning the splits. But the Northstar looks very well built and you just have to like the Honda engines.

I can't speak about the Northstar, but I like my Huskee. As to support there is thread after thread about the stellar support Speeco provides on the Huskee splitter and I don't remember reading any about the Northstar. Any idea who makes them?

I have never used the Northstar but I have quite a bit of time behind the husky 35 ton. I don't own it, but I have borrowed and used one frequently that splits 40+ cords per year for the last ten years. The only complaint I have is the return detent needs adjusted. I liked using it so much that I went out and bought a 22ton Huskee for myself. It is a fine machine as well.

Customer service from Speeco has been well documented on this site as Laird mentioned. I'm sure the Northstar is a fine machine but I liked going down to TSC and bringing it home in my truck.

Both look great.
Only thing I have to add is that I believe Honda to be about the best small engine you can buy.

Having said that, even though Briggs have always seemed a little crude and 'vibraty', I have never killed one!

Had my Huskee 35 ton for five years now, only problem has been a leaky hose which was easily fixed.

The engine on mine is a Briggs I/C engine and even though I LOVE those Honda engines this one is no slouch. Starts every time even if it's sat for six months, will split anything you can get in it and then some.

Other issue is I bought a 4-way wedge from a guy that was a bolt on, don't waste your money on one, did not work (jammed bottom wood on beam).

NO complaints on my Huskee, was on sale at TSC for $1600 and I never looked back,

Brother in law just bought a 22-ton Huskee and that thing isn't a slouch either..............

Art

I bought a Huskee 22 ton for $999 at TSC and I love it. Well made, especially compared to the 27 ton Troy Bilt from Lowes.

Having said that, my vote would be for the smaller engine - that extra displacement on the Huskee is going to translate to fuel spent! THink about how many times you refuel the machine in a day's splitting….at least consider the operating cost difference.

If I had a Northern tool store somewhat near me, I'd have gone with the 37 Ton Northstar. Since there are no Northern stores around here, I bought the 35 ton Huskee and am happy with it so far. I'd have bought the Northern just for the GX series Honda over the not so commercial grade Briggs. If it was a Briggs Vanguard series, I'd say the motors were equal.

I cant speak for the Huskee, but I have a NT 22 ton, which has the same frame as the 37 ton. I know for sure the NT splitter is very well balanced which makes for easy moving. The splitters height is perfect for horizontal splitting. The splitter I used to rent, sat so low to the ground that my back was always bent over running the control. Now I can split for hours without getting a sore back. The log cradle works great for holding any size rounds. The log stripper is heavy duty and works great. I also like the wedge design, it has a "hook" at the top of it, pointing downward, which keeps the log from riding up. My buddy has a speeco 22, and the wedge was too short so he had to weld a chunk of steel on top of it to make it a bit taller. I know the NT splitter requires you to purchase hydro fluid, not sure on the Huskee. Also the NT splitters no longer use a hydro filter on their units like they use to. Not sure as to why they stopped. Although there is a screen inside the hydro tank that the suction hose attaches to. You would most likely be happy with either splitter. Where ever you get the best deal with the best warranty go for it. I know there is a certain month of the year where NT has 10% off their power tools which includes splitters.

Last edited:
I have a 2007 huskee 35 ton. It will split any thing htat goes under it. I have split around 50 cord of wood in the past 15 or so months with the machine. I had to adjust the valves on the B&S i/C engine and that has been my only trouble. Fuel isnt that bad on the 12,5hp either. IT will run for around 90 minutes on a full tank and that will split a cord of straight oak.

I've looked at both, and I think the Northstar gets my vote, but it's a fairly close race. The Honda engine is probably worth a few bucks more in my opinion, and it has a 9 gallon hyd tank vs 6 1/2 on the Speeco/Huskee. Speeco has a bit wider track width 49" vs 43", should be a bit more stable if towing offroad, as well as a slight advantage in weight (660 vs 625#). More steel is generally mo' better in my book.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either, so see where the best deal locally is and let the checkbook loose :D

We fully expect a 3 page report on the trip to pick it up, the stop at the gas station/restaurant on the way home, and whatever misadventures you can get into putting it together :hmm3grin2orange:

We fully expect a 3 page report on the trip to pick it up, the stop at the gas station/restaurant on the way home, and whatever misadventures you can get into putting it together :hmm3grin2orange:

Nope, there aint going to be any adventures with this one. NT will ship the splitter to our nearby store for free, and when I get the call I am going to hide in the back of the truck under a blanket and let the wife drive. I figure that if I stay hidden the entire time, then neither the wood fairies nor karma will know I am along for the ride and will look elsewhere for their source of amusement. i got an old store mannequin out back that I am going to dress up in my lucky pants (my wife has just declared my lucky pants unrepairable and unwearable, but we all know better than that) and prop against the wood pile for the day.By the time anyone figures out that aint me out by the woodpile I will be safe back at home with a splitter in the back.

Whats the best way to carve boobs off of a mannequin anyway? Chainsaw?

I personally would get the Northstar... It looks beefier, and has a Honda engine to boot.

And another 2 tons of splitting power over the Huskee.

In the end, they both are great splitters, better than most, and definitely better than no splitter.

P.S. Can you post more pics of the splitter you broke? What engine you got on that one?

I can't speak about the Northstar, but I like my Huskee. As to support there is thread after thread about the stellar support Speeco provides on the Huskee splitter and I don't remember reading any about the Northstar. Any idea who makes them?

Northstar actually builds their own equipement, their log splitters are built in Faribault MN and they seem to use quality parts. Haldex pump, prince valve, and they build their own cylinders.

I personally would get the Northstar... It looks beefier, and has a Honda engine to boot.

And another 2 tons of splitting power over the Huskee.

In the end, they both are great splitters, better than most, and definitely better than no splitter.

P.S. Can you post more pics of the splitter you broke? What engine you got on that one?

Tell me what you want to see and I can post up what ever you want of the thing. Here is one. The engine is the Honda GCV series.
attachment.php

I like the NT splitter too. Bought the 30 ton and splitter is built very well. Did have a return line break after 4 years, broke 6wedge bolts at once splitting a 50" crotch-I know my fault, and the pivot pin broke after the warranty had expired and Nt replaced for free-real easy people to deal with. The store in Asheville is a good store to deal with too. I would recommend buying the wheel fenders if you haul the splitter alot-especially in the Winter- the engine gets covered with mud and salt without it. Also pull the hubs and grease the bearings, they had very little grease in them.
Would be happy to p/u the splitter in Asheville and meet you in Hot Springs-Im in Asheville almost every day. I live in Hot Springs.

I like the NT splitter too. Bought the 30 ton and splitter is built very well. Did have a return line break after 4 years, broke 6wedge bolts at once splitting a 50" crotch-I know my fault, and the pivot pin broke after the warranty had expired and Nt replaced for free-real easy people to deal with. The store in Asheville is a good store to deal with too. I would recommend buying the wheel fenders if you haul the splitter alot-especially in the Winter- the engine gets covered with mud and salt without it. Also pull the hubs and grease the bearings, they had very little grease in them.
Would be happy to p/u the splitter in Asheville and meet you in Hot Springs-Im in Asheville almost every day. I live in Hot Springs.

I might take you up on that offer. Our local tractor supply has the Huskee in stock and I plan on heading over there this weekend to take a look, but it would be nice to see the NT model in person as well.I am leaning towards the NT model myself and it would be nice to see it in person to see how comfortable the controls are placed, etc. Nothing worse than spending long hours slaving over a machine that was designed by somebody who never split a stick in their life.

Latest posts

Back