Northwest Coast Cedar Log Shortage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leebo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I called my salesman at Weyerhaeuser for a quote on about 6000 bf of special order Red Cedar timbers (6 X 12 - 16' and 4 X 10 - 20') for an upcoming job. He said that a lot of the mills were idle due to a lack of logs caused by an extremely wet winter in the Northwest. Was that the case this past winter? Not that my salesman would ever make something like that up to jack the price. ;) ;)

True, the mills are hurting for wood...and are paying $1100mbf for logs over 32' and $875 for under. I just sold a butt log which had split when I felled it, and was only deducted 20%.

rbtree said:
True, the mills are hurting for wood...and are paying $1100mbf for logs over 32' and $875 for under. I just sold a butt log which had split when I felled it, and was only deducted 20%.

Thought you might like to see the quotes:

6 X 12 - 16' $2700mbf
4 X 10 - 20' $2700mbf

WRC, Rough Dimension, Appearance Grade, Structural Stamp

As for the "wet winter" question: Yes, it was an above average fall/winter/spring for amount of moisture. Too bad we are now into the drought cycle again after many years of below average precip. Haven't see a drop of measurable rain in over a month.

Harry K (SE WA)

Latest posts

Back