Milling Yellow Cedar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yellow cedar is used for siding on the west coast it holds up better than any thing to salt spray and sideways rain. I have been told that stainless steel nails are needed to last the life of the wood. I does turn to a nice gray color as it weathers.

Nice work! I mill a lot of yellow cedar in the form of old power poles. It's nice because the wood is stable and dry (been in the air since the '70s and earlier)

I'm on a job in Kimberley right now, but I'm trying to round up a bunch of old yellow cedar poles, around 24-18 DBH and bring them home. This stuff is nice, old tight not, tight grained stuff. I had no idea yellow cedar was so valueable; I know it's better in the campfire than red cedar or douglas fir!

Funny thing about alaskan yellow cedar (Cupressus nootkatensis) is that it is not really a cedar. for that matter neither is western red, eastern white or tennasee aromatic. This is why it smells more like monterey cypress or port orford cedar (also a cypress)

Actually there are no true cedars native to North America (latin is your friend). We do have quite a few that have been planted here and are growing through out the continent such as deodar cedar, sometimes called himalayan cedar.

Nice work! I mill a lot of yellow cedar in the form of old power poles. It's nice because the wood is stable and dry (been in the air since the '70s and earlier)

I'm on a job in Kimberley right now, but I'm trying to round up a bunch of old yellow cedar poles, around 24-18 DBH and bring them home. This stuff is nice, old tight not, tight grained stuff. I had no idea yellow cedar was so valueable; I know it's better in the campfire than red cedar or douglas fir!

Weird that Yellow Cedar poles made it that far into the interior, especially considering that some of the biggest pole operations in BC's history were set up around the Shuswap decades ago, at Chase and Sugar Lake to name a couple.

Weird that Yellow Cedar poles made it that far into the interior, especially considering that some of the biggest pole operations in BC's history were set up around the Shuswap decades ago, at Chase and Sugar Lake to name a couple.

Not really, when you think about it; Yellow Cedars are sold all the way down to Florida. I've climbed yellow cedars in Ontario that weren't grown there. I've set 120' cedar poles in Fort McMurray that were driven straight from Vancouver by a husband wife team; Husband driving, wife steering the trailer.

There used to be a pole manufacturer in Kimberley where I'm working now, but they didn't make a stitch of poles on the line that I'm on. Did a job in Revelstoke once, where they make poles and I set a red cedar that came from Sechelt.

I heard that yellow cedar was used for kids climb around toys and such because they are less likely to get slivers from it?By the way very cool post!

Latest posts

Back