Norwood Mill may be mine this weekend!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headleyj

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well hopefully I'll be the new owner of a used Norwood this weekend! I found one for sale ~5hrs away, talked to the fella last night, seems like a solid mill. He just used it the other day and said he made ~ 15 cuts with it and worked perfect.

It's about 8 years old and has a 13hp Honda on it (pull start I assume) I really don't care if it is, I plan on just doing some hobby stuff. He didn't know the exact model but from the pics it looks like a Lumbermate...but maybe it's a Mark IV?? IDK. It's got trailer lights on it and a homemade axle with what appears to be leaf springs. It also has 4 leveling jacks with it. I'll plan on putting it on the trailer cause he said he wouldn't trust the axle on a 5hr highway trip. He also said it may need a new belt (runs from the motor to the clutch I assume?) but other than that he said it works great.

I'm a little skeptical cause the proce is almost too good to be true, but I think he just wants it gone. I am so pumped! He said he'd have a log on there for me so I could try it out first too. He was an older gentelman and "sounded" honest.

Does anyone see or read anything I should be leary of?

Here are the pics he took;

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I believe its a Lumbermate. Has the embossed track steel. Very nice mill. Ive run the smaller Norwood and its a great mill as well.

It IS a Lumbermate and i believe it's a Mark 4, they were replaced with the Lumbermate 2000 in the year 2000.

It's VERY important that you get an owners manual with/for it, as everything you need to know about adjusting it is in there. There are all kinds of useful info in that manual, it's a must have!

The Honda 13 is a manual start, and electric start isn't needed on them, as they start easily, and are very reliable.

Go through the manual, and check all the adjustments, change the oil in the motor, and have fun!

I've milled many thousands of feet on an old Lumbermate powered with a Honda 13, it's a pretty good mill! Congrats to you!

Rob

It IS a Lumbermate and i believe it's a Mark 4, they were replaced with the Lumbermate 2000 in the year 2000.

It's VERY important that you get an owners manual with/for it, as everything you need to know about adjusting it is in there. There are all kinds of useful info in that manual, it's a must have!

The Honda 13 is a manual start, and electric start isn't needed on them, as they start easily, and are very reliable.

Go through the manual, and check all the adjustments, change the oil in the motor, and have fun!

I've milled many thousands of feet on an old Lumbermate powered with a Honda 13, it's a pretty good mill! Congrats to you!

Rob

great info man, thanks!

BTW, i don't see the water bottle that lubes the band, it goes up in that rack on top of the head. They did break down quite easily in the sun, but he may have kept it inside? You DO need to lube the band with water, so see what he has been using. Also, try to get some bands with it, and see what he has been doing to sharpen and set them.

Lots of Lumbermate info on the Norwood forum...

Rob

BTW, i don't see the water bottle that lubes the band, it goes up in that rack on top of the head. They did break down quite easily in the sun, but he may have kept it inside? You DO need to lube the band with water, so see what he has been using. Also, try to get some bands with it, and see what he has been doing to sharpen and set them.

Lots of Lumbermate info on the Norwood forum...

Rob

ahhh - I didn't notice that, I'll be sure to ask him. He said he had a box of 10 blades but they were too long for it :( He didn't mention any sharpener of setter so I don't plan on getting one with it. I figure I'll have to get one seperately.

Well I got it. 13 hours round trip and a sore butt, but I got her. It needs a water tank and a manual, but other than that she works great.

It's got 5 or 6 blades that fit it and are brand new, then 20 (yes 20!) blades that are too long for it......gonna see if someone can cut them down.

has 4 log dogs with it too - pretty happy bout that! Can't wait to use her!!

Back