Nos 261 or get a new 400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing is the whole reason for a bigger saw is a bigger bar right? Bigger saw for bigger logs. Im not a fan of long bars on smaller saws. And for this test to be a fair comparison they should both be tested in big hardwood logs too.
Exactly. A guy came into my shop recently and was asking if a 372XP (X-Torque) would run a 36” bar, I think we know what the answer to that question is. Ended up selling him a 592XP with full wrap and a 36” bar. Big wood requires a big saw.

Exactly. A guy came into my shop recently and was asking if a 372XP (X-Torque) would run a 36” bar, I think we know what the answer to that question is. Ended up selling him a 592XP with full wrap and a 36” bar. Big wood requires a big saw.
And this ladies and gentlemen is why we own more then one saw....

Mini derail, how are people taking to the 592xp?

A 460 is a turd of a saw.
Not_Going_To_End_Well.jpg

Nuff said!

keep the 261 and buy the 400.
Or sell the 261, pick up a good condition used 241 port that, and also get the new 400. Then you have a fast and handy limbing saw, capable of bucking... and a healthy sized all around saw, that will do just about anything you want, aside from the extra large wood.

I own a ported 261, 400, and 462. Ported 261 will not keep up to a 400c. 462 is not a big enough difference from the 400. But thr 462 is a hell of alot cheaper than a 500. I'm porting my 462 to create the separation. Also got my 462 brand new for $300cad less then tha the dealer had is listed for.
Quick and dirty is the 400 is the best saw I've ever run and owned STOCK, by far the most versatile.
If you can keep the 261 and get a 400, it's an awesome 2 saw plan. But do not hesitate to sell the 261 and buy a 400 with the 25 inch stihl light bar.

If u can afford it, Leave 261 never gassed if possible and keep box and get 400 with 20" light bar

Thanks for the replies! I knew keep both would be the answer! I've gone ahead and ordered the 400 as I got a good deal. I'll probably get rid of the 261 as my saw is just for use on the farm, it's hard to justify a pro saw let alone 2 and they're probably not too far apart enough in size either.

Back