Nose Sprocket Rescue - Illustrated!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philbert, thanks again for posting over in my thread about the chainsaw incident. I finally have the storm damage all cleaned up and am now able to think about something else. I was looking at the sprocket tip on my Tsumura guide bar and it's got 4 rivets holding in the sprocket, and the dimpling on the rivets is very obvious on one side. I've never toyed with these before, in the absence of a chain breaker, what's the best and/or easiest way to take those rivets out? I've got basic hand tools, so no saw shop or machine shop at my disposal, at least not without having to pay for it.

Worst comes to worst, I've got a decent OPE about 8 miles from the house, and may have to buy replacement rivets from them anyway. Thanks in advance for any guidance that you can provide.

Best,

You can drill the rivets out, as long as you are going to replace them. Or, you can use a narrow punch (or even a hardened nail of the right diameter), with the rivet centered over a hole in a block of wood.

Again, it is a replaceable nose sprocket that most people would toss out and replace. You have nothing to lose, and a lot to potentially learn or gain in satisfaction

Philbert

A few more trashed tips from bars that I saved. The tips are from Oregon 28 inch and a 36 inch bars. The 28 was pretty nice and received a near-new salvaged tip from another bar whose slot was butchered and an extra rivet from a previous tip kit. The 36 looked pretty toasty but fortunately the chain groove is clean and smooth or it'd be scrap. A bit of sanding and it looks way better in my opinion. Can anyone tell me what the SZA means?
FullSizeRender.jpegFullSizeRender 2.jpegFullSizeRender 3.jpegIMG_5246.jpeg

Oregon made / makes a lot of bars for OEM applications, specialty packaging, etc., and some of those had non-standard markings. A guide to standard markings is attached. You could try calling their Customer Service folks and asking:
1-800-223-5168, Monday through Friday 6:30 AM - 4:00 PM PST

Are you going to open those tips up and see what they look like inside?

Philbert

Attachments

• Oregon Chain Bar Ref.pdf
    7.7 MB · Views: 10
Very good thread
I had not seen it before though
I also had curiosity in 2017
Ugly but runs OK with a shot of grease now and then

sprocket nose parts

Back