Nosy neighbor...1.....Wood thieves...scared

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Nosy neighbor chiming in. I heard voices, youthful ones coming from the neighbors place, he doesn't have offspring, and its rare when he has guests including a youth. My curiosity was peaked, and then I saw the van, at his wood pile, and had to bellow for them to hear me, " THAT'S PRIVATE PROPERTY", it took a bit for them to see me, and even then they were slow to act, but the pieces fell from their hands and the drove off slowly.

Guess they were marking the hillbilly from the richguy's house for later retribution.

The other way to handle that, and it was what I should've done, is to drive down to them, and offer a way for them to earn their needs instead of fretting about stealing.

What's worse, they were using the company van for the heist. Three guys, younger than myself since I could hear the youthful pitch of their voices.

Had they kept their mouth shut, it would have taken me at least five more minutes before spotting them. I was walking my mistress security rounds.

So, score one for the nosy neighbor, and score who knows what for the needy guys.

I'm generally a nice guy, and would have been happy to have them split/stack for me, to earn a pickup load, if they were local, I'd even delivered for free with the one ton dump. I screwed up an opportunity.

Great job! Two miles north of me a nosy neighbor solved the theft of 19 guns and over a hundred and twenty dvd's. He had dish network trouble and the repairmen came to fix it, they left and he saw them pull in the neighbors, he knew the neighbors didn't have dish, when the neighbot got home, he went down and asked about it. That's when the guy realized he had been been ripped off. This particular dish repairman was implecated in several break-ins.

What company? I'd be calling the owner with the plate number. I kind of doubt that he's okay with his vehicles being used for theft. Might be even more effective than a call to the cops. That's very high-minded of you to have the impulse to offer thieves honest work, but it would be risky.

Jack

That sort of thing happens alot here in the mountain community where I live. Seems some people are either just too LAZY to go cut their own or can't afford to buy it so they steal it. With the majority of the homes up here being 2nd homes or vacation "cabins" there is no one around to stop them.
It would be hell to be locked up over stealing something you could go out and cut for yourself, and every now and then you read about it happening.

I would have blocked them in with my vehicle and then gotten out of there and called the police and let them sort it out. Folks like that need to be stopped. I bet the owner of that vehicle is going to be peaved when he finds out it was used in an attempted theft,

First they swipe some firewood. Then the woodsplitter disappears. Pretty soon that chainsaws are gone. I've seen 1 theft turn into 3-5 in the past and it sucks.

What company? I'd be calling the owner with the plate number. I kind of doubt that he's okay with his vehicles being used for theft. Might be even more effective than a call to the cops. That's very high-minded of you to have the impulse to offer thieves honest work, but it would be risky.

I bet the owner would be even more motivated to deal with it if the cops paid him a visit. Problem is, the cops will do what (if anything) they choose to do, the OP won't have any control over it.

My guess would be that they'd have a face to face with the owner, while peering around and seeing what they could discern 'in plain sight' that might give grounds for a search warrant. That would definitely give me an incentive to make sure the cops never had reason to darken my doorstep again.

your're a good man...

your're better than me, having been the victim of property theft in my own driveway before, i would've pumped them full of lead and left them for the coyotes...as for the owner of the van, who knows he could've been the one who told them to take it. theives have no honor or morals and are a complete waste to society. too many people in this world have grown up with poor principles and gotten us in the mess we are in today, just look at wall street. instead of wasting taxpayer money rehabilitating them they need to just "fade" away.

At a minimum you should have got the plate # and company name. For me, I wouild have provided that info to the neighbor and let him handle it.

Just scaring them off accomplishes nothing as far as correcting the behavior goes.

Harry K

I would have blocked them in with my vehicle and then gotten out of there and called the police and let them sort it out. Folks like that need to be stopped. I bet the owner of that vehicle is going to be peaved when he finds out it was used in an attempted theft,

First they swipe some firewood. Then the woodsplitter disappears. Pretty soon that chainsaws are gone. I've seen 1 theft turn into 3-5 in the past and it sucks.

Don't be surprised if you discover that the owner of the company van is a crooked dirt bag who is a knowing and willing accomplice to this theft of private property.

I once turned in the driver of a company pickup that was recklessly weaving all over both sides of a 2-lane county road while he was speeding at 30 MPH over the posted speed limit of 45 MPH. The owner of this company threatened me with retaliation from his brother who is a cop in our small town police dept. The owner of this local small business is a belligerent, rude and crude knuckle-dragging barbarian.

Reckless driving on our county roads is in the jurisdiction of the California Highway Patrol, not the nasty dirtbags of the Paso Robles Police Dept.

Last edited:
From me to them........300 feet of cornfield.

Take a picture, hmm....too far.

The only option was to drive down to them, and be a good samaritan. If they were stealing, it was likely they were cold at home, or too poor to buy their heat. Hence the mindset to offer them the opportunity to earn the wood. I could use the help more than they could use the jail time.

My LP delivery driver has already inquired about my cord cost. Not sure if he was looking for a solution to a cold family or a base price to sell his monster pile of aging wood.

The homes are 300' from the road, and the neighbors are 1/4mile to 1/2 mile apart. In this case, the neighbor bought the 40acre corner, separated 8acres and the dilapidated farmhouse from it for a profit. Enter us.

So, my fulltime job allows me to be the busy body.
12 homeowners in a 4sq mile area.

I did my rounds today telling the accessible landowners about the vehicle, who I saw, their description and so on.

I'll call the county sherriff tomorrow. They are twenty miles away, so it would have been pointless to call. Better to talk to the local business owners in town, they have faster contact systems than the sherriff.

I'll be hoisting a sign in front of my easy to access oak pile:

Before you steal it, call me to earn it.

If I knew someone was stealing my wood I would take a few pieces and drill some out and fill the holes with a little gun powder. Let them burn that, it will be the last time they would steal wood from my pile.

If I knew someone was stealing my wood I would take a few pieces and drill some out and fill the holes with a little gun powder. Let them burn that, it will be the last time they would steal wood from my pile.

The list of options before that is too long to count.

And you would be in jail because they stole your firewood......not a good choice in my book.

Yes it would, then when they blow there stove up and they kill themselves along with their family you could see it posted in the paper the next morning about a house fire killing off a family and feel proud that you were the one who did it. But, it would serve them well their death for some wood, a death sentence for them and their family for taking your wood. It would be better then them freezing to death. Hopefully it would be someone with a large family so you could take out a whole bunch of people at once.

Just think what would happen if you either you accidentally sold the loaded wood to someone or if your wife or other family member used your loaded wood? But, hey at least you could feel pride knowing that if a wood thief did come along they would get what is coming to them.

Or you could just pour fox urine in some of the pieces and when they burn it you would stink them out of their house. Or you could just post a sign that says, if you want it contact me and work for it. Or you could use one of those motion cameras and take a picture of the thiefs and let the cops handle it. Either way a life is not worth the cost of wood.

easy guys...

you know he was kidding, besides if he wasn't, remember people with a mentality like that usually shorten their lives by saying..."hey bubba check this out!...

wdchuck: Good job! Maybe post a sign that says "free, green Willow available at a local recycling center - ring the doorbell for info". :)

Edit: I've got a lot of rep to spread around but can't get you right now. :(

Shari

Latest posts

Back