not a new chainsaw, but possibly better... Efco 8550 BOSS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmethodrose

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well it's not a new chainsaw, but just as exciting (to me anyway) - my new Efco 8550 BOSS clearing saw/brushcutter/weed whacker arrived today!

For those of you who don't use them, this is the MS880 or 3120 of the strimmer world. 52cc, 2.8hp - anything this won't go through will call for the 346xp!

Too late to get a pic tonight as it's dark, here's a stock one from the interweb though.

cheers,
Joe

Hi all,

Well it's not a new chainsaw, but just as exciting (to me anyway) - my new Efco 8550 BOSS clearing saw/brushcutter/weed whacker arrived today!

For those of you who don't use them, this is the MS880 or 3120 of the strimmer world. 52cc, 2.8hp - anything this won't go through will call for the 346xp!

Too late to get a pic tonight as it's dark, here's a stock one from the interweb though.

cheers,
Joe

Very sweet, but isn't it really more like the 660/395? The FS 550 is 3.75hp; I guess it's 361 on a stick.

It makes my FS 85 look totally inadequate.

No... My weedeater is inadequate!!!

attachment.php

I have trimmer envy...

Very sweet, but isn't it really more like the 660/395? The FS 550 is 3.75hp; I guess it's 361 on a stick.

My apologies, I had forgotten to look up the specs of the 550 - I just assumed they were pretty equivalent machines! 660/395 it is...

maybe I should get someone to muff mod and port it :hmm3grin2orange:

wow..all i have a is a FS-74.....not quite in the same category. Id like to have this BOSS machine and put one of them swisher string trimmer heads from one of them deals that have wheels....thats like a 22"cut.

Congrats on the trimmer !
I think that my old school FS550 is bigger but my 365rx is the "Boss" at 65cc's .
What's one of them new machines set you back and does it come with the trimmer head/brushcutter/clearing blade or are they extra ?

I got a quote for $1400 + some change for a new fs550. And its actually the same cc as a ms290 with something like 56cc's. Actually around here some of the Christmas tree cutters use them. Unless your going to be cutting a lot of 3" plus stuff a fs250 will just plain do a whole lot. My fs250 surprised me, cutting several 1" and a couple of 2" and a 3" elderberry tree and I was only using a three sided brush cutter blade. None of the coastal range brush would even slow it down. I would say the fs550 is like an 880 and they weigh about the same too. Husky also has a 56cc trimmer as well as Dolmar. The Echo and Shindawa don't seem to go above 45cc's.

Mastermind is going to be porting my FS 250R. Trying to get him to do a thread on it. Video cuting a small tree or something so that it can be posted on the site.

Back