Not-another-firewood-wood-saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So this isn't the typical what's the best saw, get an MS361 thread. I hope...
Heading off to the family property in Australia mid soon. Got 600 acres, and a sh1t load of that is wooded. We heat space and water with wood. Normally I borrow my uncles 023 or S10, but I want my own now. I've got tools/coths out there mostly so should have 10kg+ of spare baggage. Looking at saw prices out there, they're maHussive compared to even here, let alone the US.

So I think I'll buy a powerhead here (UK) and bring it over. Minus B&C. I want to go old Stihl, mainly because of cost. I also like big heavy old torquey things. As long as dry weight is under 10kg that is... I don't mind doing some work on it first.

Wood is mainly dead eucys (if you don't kow these, can resemble soft metal...), but a fair bit of black wattle. Diameter varies, I'll pick and choose - small saw means going for small wood and vice versa. Bigger wood be more versatile maybe though.

So what's the best bet, maybe a 20" bar? 041? How gutsy/gutless is an 031? 028? 038? I'm thinking maybe £150 tops. I'll get it running nicely here if it needs it, so would be good if parts were (somehow) available.

Thanks, Harry

Thats about $300 US. You should be able to get something a little newer than an 041.

A used 038 Magnum or an 044 might be possible at that price, they are the same size saw by the way. The 036 is smaller that the 038 but still a lot bigger than your uncles 023.

Thats about $300 US. You should be able to get something a little newer than an 041.

A used 038 Magnum or an 044 might be possible at that price, they are the same size saw by the way. The 036 is smaller that the 038 but still a lot bigger than your uncles 023.

Yeah ok, so I could get something a bit better. But that was 150 tops, hoping for more like 100, but if I found a bargain 044 then game on. I also thought a good 038 would go for more than 150, but I guess I can do work on it. I thought the 036 was still pretty new, but that'd be a good one. So would an 038 pull a 20" bar with full comp through dead eucalypt? How about an 041 or 036?

I know the 023 is a different animal (mouse maybe?), and always have to choose small trees with it. It also is still suffering from when I ran it over with my landcruiser...

Last edited:
Until I saw the budget, I was going to say an 046/460. I have 100 acres in Wales, all wooded and the 046 is "general purpose" saw of choice. I can run small bar or big bar, it handles both with ease.

How do you do the cutting there? If you have a big tree, do you go to it in a pick-up (ute?) and trailer? If so, then weight isn't a problem. How about something like an 070 (Dibbs got one for £50 a fortnight ago), or that 076 we discussed? If you could pick one up for £100, you'd probably need to flex hone the bore and re-ring it...but it would slice through eucalyptus. Or if you want old and really cheap, an 07S would be fun (you did say you liked old stihls....) - you'd grow a pair of shoulders too after a few days with that!

Sensible advice is an 046 or similar - but it will cost you. Why don't you just take the 076 power head that you have?

So would an 038 pull a 20" bar with full comp through dead eucalypt?.

The 038 and 038 Magnum are completely different, the Magnum has like 7 more cc's and a lot more power. Not too many eucalytus trees here but an 038 Magnum will pull a 20" bar through the hardest oak or roack maple around here.

I have not used an 041 but it would probably do fine. The 038 Magnum will have more power. 036's have been around 15 years or so, and would be a decent medium duty saw.

If you already have an 076 it would be the cheapest route probably. Lots of parts available for them still

hmm, 070, that'd be nice... Yes I do go out in a vehicle, normally my old landcruiser, sometimes something bigger so weight isn't a problem. 07S, how's parts availability? Would be cool though. Actually though, problem with weight is the heavier the more it'll eat into my hold baggage. Also, I plan on leaving it there for when I go back, so would rather not leave my 076 as I plan on putting that to regular use. Although, along those lines I could take the 056, bit sad but it'd get good use.

Sounds like Ideally I'd like an 038 Magnum, with an 041 and 036 second. I guess I'd even go an 08S, I'm sure they behave the same as the S10, same saw but top handle I hear. Although going on my experience of finding a bar for the 076, I might avoid one.

Last edited:
The 038 and 038 Magnum are completely different, the Magnum has like 7 more cc's and a lot more power.

The 038's came in 3 varieties -
AV - 61cc (48mm bore)
AV Super/Farmboss 66cc (50mm bore)
Mag/Mag II 72cc (52mm bore)

All three of these will pull a 20" bar just fine, especially with a 7T. I've owned & ran all 3 using a 20" B&C. The 038AV was sold and it had 7T spur sprocket & a metal gas tank (heavy). The super & mag had the later style rims. I prefer an 8T rim those with a 20" bar for additional chainspeed. I recently found a like-new 038 mag for $325 USD which would be cheap if bought with British currency :)

Last edited:
Thanks I knew someone would come in with some real numbers.

The Stihl 08s is still made in Brazil because they are so bulletproof, but it was designed over 40 years ago. I think you are on the right track for finding a good used saw to take Down Under. Have Fun

You dont want to consider a husky 372 do you? I cut alot of hedge apple with it & thats the hardest wood known to man & with the 20" b&c it rips. I just dont know if you could get one used there or not. good luck.

I've got tools/coths out there mostly so should have 10kg+ of spare baggage.

I'm nearly 100% sure that a used chainsaw isn't allowed to fly under the new laws. (I did see a MS200T "fly" about 8 Feet across A workshop one day though! But that's a different story...)

I'm nearly 100% sure that a used chainsaw isn't allowed to fly under the new laws. (I did see a MS200T "fly" about 8 Feet across A workshop one day though! But that's a different story...)

you've gotta be kidding!!!! Those phucking 4rseholes. Better double check...

You dont want to consider a husky 372 do you? I cut alot of hedge apple with it & thats the hardest wood known to man & with the 20" b&c it rips. I just dont know if you could get one used there or not. good luck.

am sure it's a good saw, but I kinda like m'Stihls... I guess we'd better leave it at that, it's not based on hard facts though I don't think. Also, areb't they worth quite a bit?

Just looked at the banned items on BA, they don't list things that have been in contact with fuel, or anything a chainsaw could be. Unless I tried to take in hand luggage HA HA HA that'd get them going. I hear they don't have a sense of humour though

Used 372xp used 440 or 460 are the best bang for your buck. The Dolmar 7900 has some impressive numbers as well, those would be my first choice for an all around saw that can do everything well.

Used 372xp used 440 or 460 are the best bang for your buck. The Dolmar 7900 has some impressive numbers as well, those would be my first choice for an all around saw that can do everything well.

thing is, the 'buck' is about £100, hopefully less, at a stretch more... From looking on ebay this would be a record breaking stretch! Even a buggered 440'd fetch around £200 here

Latest posts

Back