Not another one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizmikie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Yes, another thread from a noob asking about what saw he should get. I've been reading on here for hours every night since around new years. Damn site is indeed addictive. Weird thing is, I've never even ran a chainsaw.

This whole thing started where I had a big old oak come down in a storm last summer and I didn't have a saw to cut her up. I called all the guys I knew with saws and told them I'd have plenty of beer and meat on the grill and had a chainsaw party to get the thing cut up. Also I have a few pines that I decided I want to get rid of. Well, my mother took it upon herself to buy me a cheapo poulan from Lowes for christmas. Well, that got me thinking that yeah, it's about damn time I added a chainsaw to the new homeowner tool collection. But with me being the way I am, I would rather spend the money for a quality product that will last a long time even if it's more than I need. The poulan is still in the box unopened. I don't know what I'm going to do with it. Part of me feels I should just use it until it dies and part of me says go out and get yourself a real saw.
I originally was interested in husky's as that's what most people around here I know have and they really like them. I have several dealers close by that sell husky, stihl, jonsered and dolmar. Once I started reading on here I became real interested in the ps5100 but then became concerned about them burning up plus the closest dealer that actually stocks them wants $467 when I read on here people were getting them for $400. my husky dealer is closer and I can get a 346xp for the same money. After reading on here long enough, I would love to just buy a 346xp with a 16 inch bar and a dolmar 7900 with a big bar just because. Practical for me...? probably not. I guess CAD is already setting in.
Right now I have a small fire pit where we have fires here and there but I'm in the process of finishing my basement where I have a woodstove waiting to go in. Not sure how much wood I will really end up burning down there but we got the stove almost new from the in laws.

the xp and dolmar are what I'm mostly looking at. I've done the searches and read tons on the beaten to death topic and still don't know. People seem to really be in love with the xp right now. The dolmar seems like maybe a more all arounder? with more torque, bigger chain. I really don't know. Plus there's the new 5105 which I'm not really sure what to make of it. If everything is stock what would be the better choice? I believe the xp at the dealer was a non cat model. Do the new 5100's have a cat? I know the 5105 does. And which would you take when comparing a 5100 to a 5105? If I went Dolmar I would go with an 18 inch bar with 3/8th chain. With the xp I may go 18 inch with .325 but may want to go with the 16 inch bar. If I went with the xp and 16 inch bar I feel like I would be telling myself that I'm just waiting for another one of those big suckers to come crashing down so I HAVE to go out and get a bigger saw:greenchainsaw:

I want to finally make a decision and be done with it. Even if it's just suck it up and only use the Poulan. I'm not a fan of the big box stores and would prefer to support the little guy, esp. when I can get better service and a better product. I've gone around to many of the local dealers and no one really wowed me and noone totally turned me off. I feel like I could get good support with any of the brands.
Thanks for any advice and again sorry to beat a dead horse.

Well welcome to the site bizmikie. There's plenty of good info floating around here. Since the opinion have already started rolling in here. I suggest buying whatever is in your budget. I've never bought a brand new saw. I always buy used. Shop around. There are some really good saws built now a days. I really have no preference on what I buy. They all cut wood. Good luck. :cheers:

I really didn't need a pro saw either, came here looking for info to fix up my old Stihl 039 and Homelites 330, and a Super XL. Now my kid has my 039 and my Echo cs-440, and the homelites sit in the shed neglected. Anyway I end up with a 346xp and a Stihl 460. I'd highly recommend the 346xp. It's a great saw, and will certainly be something that can be handed down in the family as something special when your days are done with it. Seems like by most reviews, it's the finest in it's class. It's fun to own something that's considered the best.

Man I hate to be the voice of reason. :chainsaw: :laugh:

Mike, first off welcome to the site, good to have ya hear (you actually used the derelict search function: D). :cheers:

The good news!!
I know the CAD is catching and it will have you firmly in its grasp before you know what hit you, and with the plans for the addition of the wood stove a two saw plan is eminent. I'd say you've done the homework and have narrowed it down nicely... a man could do a whole lot worse in life than a 5100/7900 combo.. or an MS260/MS460, 346xp/372xp combo or any variation there of (feel free to mix and match as you see fit).

When the time comes you couldn't really go wrong with any of them but I'd say overall...

The Stihls will out last just about anything short of granite, even if they're not the fastest smoothest new wiz-bang on the market. Time is the only thing that will kill one and may be the only thing that lasts longer or is more reliable... but we're still waiting on the outcome of that epic battle.

You'll find (if you can find one... and get it serviced) the Dolmars punch well above their weight and are capable of taking out any of the top ranked contenders on any given day... and at a price that makes them REAL hard to pass up. Don't be to concerned with the whole "Dolmars blow up" mentality that flies around here, they had a few issues out of the gate but they've managed to (mostly) fix those issues and they're up and running like the wind as of late... Some folks will say anything to back their favorite brand even if it means making a mountain out of a molehill to tear down the competition. (I'd go 5100 over 5105 any day.. the 7900? what else can you say.. it just flat rocks :rock:)

The Hookskis will give you a very nice "all around" package in that they have a good network of dealers who stand ready to back their product, and offer some of the top performers in their class. The 346 is at the top of its class for weight, handling, and performance even if the 5100 is still the stronger brute overall and I just can't seem to get the one bought take the place of my MS260. :dizzy: It is THE lightweight, great handling, "best overall", powerhouse to have in the 50cc saw class. The 372 is a legend in its own mind.... or is that time??.. (as Fish would say.. "but I digress." :laugh:) The 372 is a great handling lightweight saw that was never able to fully concor its 70cc class, but then again when you're up against the 044/440, 046/460, and later the 7900, how could there ever be clear winner?? The 372 is right there with the rest of'em and gets the job done with the best of'em.

The bad news.
You're gonna screw up you first saw... sorry but its a known fact.... you're gonna run a dull chain, you're gonna try to force it to cut with said dull chain, you're gonna stick the chain in the dirt, you're gonna file it badly crooked with horrible angles, you're gonna neglect the air filter, spark plug, and regular maintenance, and you're quite possibly gonna straight gas it, drop a tree on it, or run it over with your truck/tractor/trailer. :dizzy: Better to abuse the free Poulan than to fork up a very nice expensive saw that could have lasted you a lifetime. I’d say run the Poulan for a while and make all of the rookie mistakes on that little lime green turd and when you find that you can maintain it in good working order go plunk down your hard earned benjies for the good stuff.

Just my ten cents. :cheers:

erick is right. I did all the said mistakes except strait gas it. Now I know how to sharpen the chain right, do maintainance. Now im learning to take one apart and rebuild from scratch with new parts.

Look on the trading post here. Check your local dealers.

IF I was you I would look at STIHL ms 441, 460 if your cutting over 20 inches. MS 362 if cutting under 20.

You will want 441 or 460 if cutting over 20 inches. Extra power goes a LONG WAY and you wont burn the saw up overworking it.

Use that pulan for light limbing. Use it to learn to sharpen chain, do maintainance, take it apart and rebuild it.

Wear the Poulan out while stashing cash and eyeballing the trading post for deals.

Erick nailed it....except for the details on the 346 and 372.;)

Date a slut for a while.
Two Virgins on a wedding night is overrated.:cheers:

That Poulan will work fine for learning what not to do, before ya do horrible things to a 346, or... a 372.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Welcome to the site.
The best advise so far is to run that Poulan till you have a bit more experience.
When asking for advise on what saw to buy, you will get responses that could only confuse you further. One will state that his opinion is correct only to have the next say differently. Any of the major players will serve you well.

Man I hate to be the voice of reason. :chainsaw: :laugh:

Mike, first off welcome to the site, good to have ya hear (you actually used the derelict search function: D). :cheers:

The good news!!
I know the CAD is catching and it will have you firmly in its grasp before you know what hit you, and with the plans for the addition of the wood stove a two saw plan is eminent. .....

The bad news.
You're gonna screw up you first saw... sorry but its a known fact.... you're gonna run a dull chain, you're gonna try to force it to cut with said dull chain, you're gonna stick the chain in the dirt, you're gonna file it badly crooked with horrible angles, you're gonna neglect the air filter, spark plug, and regular maintenance, and you're quite possibly gonna straight gas it, drop a tree on it, or run it over with your truck/tractor/trailer. :dizzy: Better to abuse the free Poulan than to fork up a very nice expensive saw that could have lasted you a lifetime. I’d say run the Poulan for a while and make all of the rookie mistakes on that little lime green turd and when you find that you can maintain it in good working order go plunk down your hard earned benjies for the good stuff.

Just my ten cents. :cheers:

:agree2:

a 346/7900 is probably the perfect two-saw combo.

if you learn how to sharpen the chain, learn how to keep you chain adjusted correctly, learn how to mix fuel and how important it is to mark you chainsaw mix so that you don't confuse it for straight gas, learn how to say no when a friend ask to borrow your saw for a hour, learn to always wear PPE, learn how to stop and say "now if this goes wrong, will i live and will i still have all of my limbs and faculties intact"? you should be fine.

you have enough sense to ask reasonable questions on a dedicated forum, so go ahead, you have my permission to get a couple of nice saws.
YOU ARE APPROVED!!!

Like has been said many times here:

Try the Poulan and see how it works. Make your mother happy to see you use the gift. If it works use it, if not sell it and buy something decent. Don't get discouraged if it gives you fits or makes work out of the project just move on to something better.

From the sounds of it the 346XP is all you would need. Having the Poulan as a back up if you get pinched is not a bad idea.

Thanks for the comments,

The practical side of me agrees with the notion of learning with the poulan. It is a Poulan Pro pp4218av.

Luckily I have some experienced family and friends around me to help guide me. I'm obviously not afraid to ask questions. I'd rather ask then screw something up.

I use dedicated gas cans for my strait gas for my mower and mixed for my backpack blower, trimmer, etc.

I grew up with dirtbikes, snowmobiles, small boat engines so I have some basic knowledge of maintenance but I'm sure I will suck at sharpening chains for awhile. Though I did work in a saw mill for a few years, and ran a wood moulder. I would have to sharpen the heads but that's not the same thing.

I've also worked in carpentry and as an F-16 crew chief so I'm not completely clueless when it comes to mechanical things.

I'm 6ft 210 lbs. and I'm also left handed. Anyone else here left handed and do they feel like things feel a little more akward since everything is geared for right handers? I'm used to doing things right handed anyway so I guess it won't be a big deal.

as far as stihls go, I like the new ms362. My mother actually bought her husband a stihl for christmas when she bought me the poulan. His former saw was one of the two that didn't make it through my chainsaw party last summer. Actually The only three left running at the end of the day were the husky's. (Don't worry guys the other two were not stihl or dolmar) But I keep remembering that and reading comments on the poulan and how so many people have various problems with them, I sometimes feel like I just don't want to bother. But then again, hey it was cheap and my expectations are low. I wouldn't doubt it if half the problems those people comment about (product reveiws on the box store) are because they don't know what they are doing.

I would have to agree that you need to get a saw wet first and do some cutting. Use the poluan for as long as you can do a lot of little stuff with it. You need to know that you want to use the wood stove first, before you go invest in some good saws. Sometimes it is not worth the extra work to burn wood if you have other things to do. That is just my two cents.

best buys in new chainsaws would be the 6401 makita @$470. Baileys has um.

and those cub cadets that amazon is selling if they got any left.last time i looked they had a 50cccub cadet for $269 and a smaller one for $199.
\
they are the same saw as the EFCO. pretty good deals IMHO.

if you can hold out a little while you could just put up with the poulan and save your money for a used pro class 70ish cc saw.

the 372xp, 044/440 stihl come highly recommended.

just take your time and hit the want ads , local saw and pawn shops.

and cash talks---:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back