Not exactly sure what club I joined but I am sure there is one for it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbavarian

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Join the club. I just was fortunate enough to toss a piece of firewood in the bed of my truck when if bounced off another and just barely tapped the rear window.

Just like a movie or cartoon, there was a second of, "Boy that was close." Then "Do you hear something crackling." Ending up with explative, explative, explative.

Of course it is a factory tinted window with the rear slider.

Good news, glass insurance is a wonderful thing.

Learn as you burn.

Stephen

Did that about 12 years ago...except there wasn't the pause after it hit.

There was the long wait watching the log skid off the top of the pile in the bed and watch the a pointed end head straight for the rear window.

Yes, full glass is a wonderful thing :)

I've always wondered why insurance rates are so high. I certainly would have felt compelled to shell out of my own pocket rather than be part of the reason our insurance costs are sky-rocketing.

Bummer about the glass window. My friend broke my rear sliding window with a glass beer bottle he "ment to throw in the bed".

I felt guilty in the beginning but then changed my mind.

I look at it like this. I have been paying insurance for 25 years, about $800 a year. No accidents, a few speeding tickets and this is my first claim.

I stopperd feeling guilty.

It was an accident.

I felt guilty in the beginning but then changed my mind.

I look at it like this. I have been paying insurance for 25 years, about $800 a year. No accidents, a few speeding tickets and this is my first claim.

I stopperd feeling guilty.

It was an accident.

I stand corrected. My bad. Please neg-rep me. I deserve it :)

I always keep a piece of plywood or chip board in the back of my truck, broken a few windows my self. plus if I chip into the back of the truck it helps so the chips dont fall between the bad and the cab and sit and smolder on the muffler or rot on the gas tank. .........rngrchad, if ya like I will drop a bomb of neg rep on ya just for ####s and giggles:)

My brother rolled a round that was 5' in diameter into the side of his 2 week old Tacoma. It caved in the entire passenger door and panel. A back window is not to bad, but I have done the same thing.

This one time while scrounging wood, I was rushing to avoid getting caught in an icestorm, and had a piece careen off the interior roof and put a spider web crack in the windshield. It was a cargo/work van, so wide open interior.
That same van had its rear area crushed by a tree during the night some months later.

Karma funeral for the woodhauler.

My brother rolled a round that was 5' in diameter into the side of his 2 week old Tacoma. It caved in the entire passenger door and panel. A back window is not to bad, but I have done the same thing.

Was he married at the time?

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt...

I was tossing wood in the back of my pick up and one bounced off the rear window. "Whew that was close, I could have busted out that back window!"

The very next piece took a bad bounce and went right through and was sitting in the front seat along with a ton of glass, rats.

I left it busted out as it was an old rusted out 87' F250.

Rock On!

I saw the writing on the wall with a few close calls. I got a rack made. I've since bounced a couple pieces off it.

Ian

attachment.php

Hauling wood in a pickup is hard on it no matter what. Box takes a beating, paint gets a little "striping", and of course the rear glass is always victim. On a related note, I was helping to roof a house and the homeowner went to toss up a bottle of water to another helper. Misjudged the trajectory and tossed it right through the bedroom window. Now that was funny....:)

I saw the writing on the wall with a few close calls. I got a rack made. I've since bounced a couple pieces off it.

Ian

attachment.php

Ian, what is that on the pole behind your truck? ....just my guess is it bird houses made out of some kind of gourds?
.....sorry to go off topic!
Edit: or are they pods to raise young Kentucky youngins☺

Last edited:
I just grabbed those photos off a quick google search, I don't have the lens to get that close with my little camera.

Ian

Been there, done that, TWICE!

After 2, I went to work, got some parts laser cut, did some bending and welding, and wound up with this:

attachment.php

Somewhere on the heavy equipment pages there's a detailed post of my building it. I can dig it up if you'd like. As a bonus, truckloads are slightly larger now, as I toss 'em right up to the front without worrying about wrecking stuff. I don't know if better paint would hold up better, but there are some scuffs in the spray bomb implement paint I used, but it still looks better than the rest of the truck. Wire mesh would increase visibility a bit, but using the Bowtie design was just too cool not to do.

Latest posts

Back