Not many big ones left

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing the old growth trees that are left is definitely a vacation in my family's future. I can't help but think what it would've been like dropping those:dizzy:

Did a trip with wife about 11 years ago cross country. Once we got to the Redwoods I pulled over to have her drive so I could stare at all the trees as we were driving. The sight of the old growth redwoods and sequoias is amazing, not something you can describe to people. I envy the people that live close to them and can take a short drive and stand next to one when they want. They make you feel real small!!

Attachments

• DSC00806.JPG
    DSC00806.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 41
Nothing like that left in the East. Here in Southern Appalachia we had some huge old growth around the turn of the century. Between the early logging efforts and the chestnut blight very few if any left. Joyce Kilmer has some amazing trees.

This was one of the chestnuts from the turn of the century.

Shea

Another chestnut pic
The-American-Chestnut-Tree.jpg

This one came from the 'Our State' magazine history section.
Shea

A few images from my trip to Northern California last year.

Stout Grove in RNP
Redwoods-1.jpg

Navarro River Redwoods
Redwoods-2.jpg

Berry Glen Trail in RNP
Redwoods-3.jpg

Humboldt State Park | The tree on the right is about 12' in diameter.
Redwoods-4.jpg

Was out at Mt. St. Helens yesterday and saw and heard evidence of how many of the big growth Douglas Firs got blasted by that event in 1980. Was at a park today in SW Washington and there were some old Firs there that had escaped the axe. It was really awesome to see those and visualize what the forests must have looked like 100 years ago... My brother in law, who I was walking with, said that there are very few mills anymore that will even accept old growth trees as their more modern equipment can't handle the large diameters. I was picking his brain about trees the entire time we were walking as it was fascinating to me seeing I'm from the other end of the country. I'll post up a couple pics.

I was offered a chance to go up there and log the windblown stuff after She blew. I couldn't make the day in Portland with all the ash....didn't see how my lungs would survive up there. Saw some of the log loads coming from up there though. One-three logs to the load and headed for the mill in Molalla,OR. Only one other mill in CA somewhere large enough then to take that stuff and closest was Molalla. This doesn't surprise me as I used to log around Molalla in the late 70's and we put some sweet Dougs on the ground....

I moved away from the area to CO, so I never got to talk to the guys buckin' that stuff where She blew her top. That's when I first saw velocity stack air filters on Husky 2100's in the back of trucks and I assumed with oil and foam, that's how they were saving their saws from the ash...not a performance thing.

Kevin

Wife and I are planning a week long trip out that way in June. Not sure if we should fly into san fran and drive up the coast or just plan on flying in to somewhere in Nocal. Just not sure how long we need to spend up that way and not just driving.

WDO

Once you get across the Golden Gate bridge to the Marin side its a great/nice drive up to the Redwoods. I prefer to drive the coast on #1 but it`s winding and slower, scenery is well worth it though. The trip up the 101 is quicker, I often do that and turn out at Willits and make a run out through the Jackson State Forest coming out near Fort Bragg, then continue on up the coast.

Back