not on my watch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KindredSpiritzz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
20130928110430.jpg20130928111147.jpg20130928111210.jpgPICT4149.jpgPICT4150.jpg

couple months ago we had a big wind storm that knocked a couple huge trees down in the ravine behind my house, nice black ash trees i believe. Ravine's about 30 ft of very steep grade so no way to really get close to them or get them out easy. Was driving me crazy knowing there was all that wood so close to the house, but how to get it out? I had a 150 ft 3/16 cable so i bought a metal pulley for it, rigged the pulley up 12 ft in a tree to provide upward lift and had at it. Took me 2 days, snapped the cable twice but i got it all up into the yard. Neighbors thought i was crazy and i tore up some of the yard but i was very proud of my accomplishment. Probably a good cord of wood for my efforts. Made me kind of wonder what lengths you guys have gone to get wood that most sane people would have just left in the woods?
(Hope the pictures work, i had issues last time i tried posting some.)

Attachments

• PICT4154.jpg
    PICT4154.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 116
  • PICT4152.jpg
    PICT4152.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 111
  • PICT4153.jpg
    PICT4153.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 117
  • PICT4151.jpg
    PICT4151.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 101
  • PICT4155.jpg
    PICT4155.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 103
View attachment 316406View attachment 316407View attachment 316408View attachment 316409View attachment 316410

couple months ago we had a big wind storm that knocked a couple huge trees down in the ravine behind my house, nice black ash trees i believe. Ravine's about 30 ft of very steep grade so no way to really get close to them or get them out easy. Was driving me crazy knowing there was all that wood so close to the house, but how to get it out? I had a 150 ft 3/16 cable so i bought a metal pulley for it, rigged the pulley up 12 ft in a tree to provide upward lift and had at it. Took me 2 days, snapped the cable twice but i got it all up into the yard. Neighbors thought i was crazy and i tore up some of the yard but i was very proud of my accomplishment. Probably a good cord of wood for my efforts. Made me kind of wonder what lengths you guys have gone to get wood that most sane people would have just left in the woods?
(Hope the pictures work, i had issues last time i tried posting some.)

I carry 300-400' of 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" cable, 4 snatch blocks (down to three, I lost one a month ago, somehow it didnt' get back on the truck), coupls chains, 3 two straps. And have pulled some unbelievable logs out of weird places using nothing but a 2x F150. Have had to rig for 4x mechanical advantage a couple times. That really is a time consumer as you need to pull 40' of cable to move the load 10' - lots of rerigging to get the log where you want it. Just part of the enjoyment of 'wooding' and doing things others think impossible.

Harry K

i tore up some of the yard but i was very proud of my accomplishment.

I would be proud too!

One option in the future might be to cut up the wood and wait for winter to drag it up in the snow, to reduce damage to your yard. Or to buck it into smaller pieces and drag them up in a polyethylene hunting/fishing sled (the kind that gets towed behind snowmobiles).

Philbert

Nice work there!
Black helicopters in the middle of the night work really well too. So I'm told.

Long cables

Along time ago next to a national park lived a farmer. In this park he knew that at a site of a old bridge there was a set of huge wooden beams now he thought he needed them more than the old national park so he pulled a wire rope nearly a Km in to the bush by hand then winched out the beams in to his paddock with his bulldozer he did this 4 times.

Now the park ranger found out about this and was not too happy but he had a friend who was running a heilloging operation nearby. So a phone call later and all 4 beams picked up and dropped back in to the park. A quick phone call to the farmer explained that he had recovered some timber that must has "washed down on to his farm in a flood" and that he would recover and more timber that may find its way on to the property if he needed too.

Nice work.

High Lead Logging

A friend has a well service truck, 19,000 lbs dry. It has a long, extendable boom with 60' of 5/8 diameter cable and a hook that weighs close to 80 lb. We felled a standing dead Doug fir that was about 30 in. at the butt, 60 ft. + tall and uphill from the truck. It was out at the limit of the cable, so in addition to the choker chain, hook and cable, I had to drag a 1/2 diameter extension cable up the hill to the tree. We first tried to drag the whole thing down (what do we have to lose?). No dice, it actually picked up the front of the truck. Had to buck it into 10 foot lengths and drag 'em down, re-choke in the middle and hoist them onto the truck. I had to drag chain, hook and cable up that hill 6 times! I'm 60 years old, dammit!
We're more selective these days.

Latest posts

Back