Not trying to stir the pot, what OCTANE gas do you run in your saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ShoerFast said:
Ben

Maybe I'm not fallowing you here, as it pertains to the subject of octane.

What are your views? or ideas?

As I see it, any type pre-ignition could cause detanation. And detanation could cause pre-ignition,,,,,, how far am I off base on this?

Kevin

Who is pickin on my buddy Ben now.

Dang it, Ben has a grasp on one. Let it be it doesn't happen often.

Fred

Dang it, Ben is pitching a double-header did you guys read the leaded gas thread? I was going to mention it, but that's a second fiddle i don't like.

Fred

04ultra said:
the dog needs more light . to see his face FRED

I like to show her the way you'll see her at 3 am if you break in. She is almost 5 months old and 75 pounds.

Fred

Mr. said:
I like to show her the way you'll see her at 3 am if you break in. She is almost 5 months old and 75 pounds.

Fred

Hey Fred did you missunderstand what ultra said to you. It seems he was helping you by trying to tell you that the picture in your avatar was a little to dark. He pointed that out so you could adjust it and show your pet off as he deserves. You give him a slap for it. That makes no sense to me.

If you want a lighter pic send it to me and I will help you.

Arnie

It was a joke I believe he understands, but I will send you the picture.

Fred

Thanks for sticking up for me. Send the extra couple of octane with the 200cc bike motor.

Fred

Shoer, Preignition and Detonation are to differant events that people often times get confused.
I can go into detail if you want, but I suspect you do'nt so I will give you the quick and dirty.
Preigntion is by definition the ignition of the fuel/air charge before the sparkplug fires. Detonation is a abnormal combustion event that takes place well AFTER the plug has fired. pre ignition can lead to detonation, but detonation cant lead to pre ignition.
Hope this helps.

bwalker said:
Shoer, Preignition and Detonation are to differant events that people often times get confused.
I can go into detail if you want, but I suspect you do'nt so I will give you the quick and dirty.
Preigntion is by definition the ignition of the fuel/air charge before the sparkplug fires. Detonation is a abnormal combustion event that takes place well AFTER the plug has fired. pre ignition can lead to detonation, but detonation cant lead to pre ignition.
Hope this helps.

Now you made the lawyers mistake you were smelling like a rose then you had to go and say something else.

You're on the carpet. Explain away.

Fred

bwalker said:
Hope this helps.

These details I hear about.

Fred

Pre ignition is caused by something in the combustion chamber firing the fuel/air charge before the plug fires. Red hot carbon deposits, or a glowing plug ground strap are the usual sources.This is akin to advancing the timing to a large degree. As a result the piston is exposed to high temperature for a longer period of time. This can cause the piston to actually melt or it can lead to detonation.
Detonation is a abnormal combustion even that happens after the spark plug fires. The fuel/air charge begins to combust like any normal combustion event, but just prior to completion a massive pressure spike takes place. This is caused by heat in a basic sense. Pre ignition, low octane fuel, and excessive timing are real world cause. As one can imagine this sudden realese of energy hammer internal componets and can actually melt and or blow holes through a piston.
This article explains it in much better than I can.
http://ericgorr.com/techarticles/Fuel_Basics.htm

You are right about the article. Simply Pre-ignition is when the charge fires before the plug under compression because of heat and detonation is erratic firings that are not under compression.

This is the essence.

Fred

Back