Not your typical "chain too tight" question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last Oregon bar I bought had slag on the rails. It was a 42" for a husky so one would think being one of their more expensive bars that they might take a stronger eye towards quality inspection. I just filed and cleaned it up myself.

If the tips wern't hammered too bad from the sprocket jump then you could take a couple strokes with a flat file to take the edge off the tip and bring it back down to size. No sense throwing a good chain away, or keep it for a backup... it all depends on how much the tips was mushed over and if it was every driver or not (I'd probably toss it if it was bad enough and every driver as it take a lof of time to fix'em)...

Good advice, I agree! :D

I don't know where you live, but if the drivers are too messed up for you to mess with, send me the chain and if I can fix it by filing it I will fix it for you. For free of course, I have patience for stuff like that, if it can be filed back into condition I will do it for free.

Once in a while I have a chain jump the sprockets and ding the drive links to the point that they will not go in the bar groove. I usually take care of that with my Dremel tool.

If the tips wern't hammered too bad from the sprocket jump then you could take a couple strokes with a flat file to take the edge off the tip and bring it back down to size. No sense throwing a good chain away, or keep it for a backup... it all depends on how much the tips was mushed over and if it was every driver or not (I'd probably toss it if it was bad enough and every driver as it take a lof of time to fix'em)...

Waste of valuable metal, IMO. Bury a single-bit axe into a big round, leaving the poll sticking up. That can now serve as an anvil. With that and a small machinist's hammer, you can easily peen down the raised areas. Always wear safety glasses.

This whole situation is reason for being of feeler gauges and micrometers.

Waste of valuable metal, IMO. Bury a single-bit axe into a big round, leaving the poll sticking up. That can now serve as an anvil. With that and a small machinist's hammer, you can easily peen down the raised areas. Always wear safety glasses.

This whole situation is reason for being of feeler gauges and micrometers.
Good advice, I'll remember that for the future when the need arises. Still might need a few quick strokes with a flat file if there's a small burr. A good smack with the hammer should get you close, just make sure it's on a flat surface. You'll have additional problems if you bend them just a little...

With that and a small machinist's hammer, you can easily peen down the raised areas. Always wear safety glasses.
A good smack with the hammer should get you close, just make sure it's on a flat surface. You'll have additional problems if you bend them just a little...

If you peen the drive links flat, you will probably change the shape of the drive links, causing extra wear on the sprockets. Might be OK as a 'field expedient' method (i.e. - limited choices).

Philbert

Latest posts

Back