Nother home built splitter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.E. Metal Werx

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
well here it finaly is. i think it turned out really well.. except the toe plate... as you can see. splitting right out of the truck is the way to go.. but if the rounds are to big to handle i can tilt the splitter on end and do it virtical.. let me know what you think. the picture of the temp gauge is a little over 90. wish it was a little hight but heck, 90 deg after 2+ hours of use.. enough said.

How does that gauge work? Do you just drill a hole or does it need welded on. Splitter looks nice, good job:clap: :clap:

How does that gauge work? Do you just drill a hole or does it need welded on. Splitter looks nice, good job:clap: :clap:

well.. just happen to work at a place to makes hydro tanks well "i make" and all it is, is two 1/2 holes with 3/8 nuts welded in the inside and the gauge bolts right on and the bolts are hallo and alow oil to flow through the gauge. if you look close enough you can also see the fluid leval in the gauge..

So it sounds like I could not put that on my splitter. I don't know how I would weld nuts on from the back. Oh well....

So it sounds like I could not put that on my splitter. I don't know how I would weld nuts on from the back. Oh well....

oh, when theres a will there is a way... all you have to do is build up some meteral on the front and tap it. watches would work great, just need to seal, there is rubber washers beween the gauge and the tank... my tank just happens to be 3/8" thick.. he he he over kill!

oh, when theres a will there is a way... all you have to do is build up some meteral on the front and tap it. watches would work great, just need to seal, there is rubber washers beween the gauge and the tank... my tank just happens to be 3/8" thick.. he he he over kill!

That's a good idea! Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

This is absolutely a beautiful job! Compact, powerful, and functional. Not sure what is wrong with the toe plate. Maybe a bit small? Looks like it works. If small, you can always beef it up.

I give you an "A" all the way! :greenchainsaw:

ahh the tow plate. its 1 1/4" cold rolled steel and its bent.... i have a guy geting me a 2" plate soon. and thanks i spent many of many hours working on it. and i work just happend to have a gauge for the filter.. green-yellow-red.. that kinda thing.

You did a nice job man! That thing looks better than some of the store bought splitters that I have seen.

It looks really nice, but shouldn't the filter be between the tank and the pump on the suction side, so the oil is filtered before it goes into the pump? Most crap, rust, and scale, comes out of the tank and you want to protect the pump as much as possible.

Last edited:
It looks really nice, but shouldn't the filter be between the tank and the pump on the suction side, so the oil is filtered before it goes into the pump? Most crap, rust, and scale, comes out of the tank and you want to protect the pump as much as possible.

never, never put the filter on the suction line!

also, your suction line should be at least 1" off the bottom of the tank so as to not draw any debris that might be in there.

The store bought splitter I am looking at right now has the the filter between the tank and the pump, it is a big spin on filter and the suction line is big, I would think that is the way to go. I can see if you are cheap and never replace the filter it would not be good. btw it has 1 inch ID suction hose and the outside diameter of the spin on filter is 6 inch dia.

The store bought splitter I am looking at right now has the the filter between the tank and the pump, it is a big spin on filter and the suction line is big, I would think that is the way to go. I can see if you are cheap and never replace the filter it would not be good. btw it has 1 inch ID suction hose and the outside diameter of the spin on filter is 6 inch dia.

what brand are you looking at so i can recommend to others not to buy it?

never, never put the filter on the suction line!

also, your suction line should be at least 1" off the bottom of the tank so as to not draw any debris that might be in there.

How come the filter should not be on the suction side?

How come the filter should not be on the suction side?

1. all filters have a by-pass valve that is supposed to open if/when the filter gets clogged. this is so that your filter will not explode under pressure. by placing it on the suction side, your pump is going to create enough suction to open the by-pass valve, thereby rendering the filter useless. and, even IF it did work, once it got clogged and IF the by-pass failed, you'd collapse your filter. i don't care how big the suction line is or how big the filter is.

2. we've had numerous discussions here about that already. there are only special circumstances where a filter is on the suction line and on a splitter is NOT one of them. usually it would be on high tech equipment for various reasons.

3. a properly designed tank would always have the suction port off the bottom of the tank for that reason: so as to not suck any particles that might be in there. some even put in-line screens on the suction line, but most tanks don't offer access to change them if you ever had to, not to mention if they got clogged, it would ruin your pump from lack of oil flow.

4. bottom line is to take care never to allow anything to get inside your tank.

Last edited:
1. all filters have a by-pass valve that is supposed to open if/when the filter gets clogged. this is so that your filter will not explode under pressure. by placing it on the suction side, your pump is going to create enough suction to open the by-pass valve, thereby rendering the filter useless. and, even IF it did work, once it got clogged and IF the by-pass failed, you'd collapse your filter. i don't care how big the suction line is or how big the filter is.

2. we've had numerous discussions here about that already. there are only special circumstances where a filter is on the suction line and on a splitter is NOT one of them. usually it would be on high tech equipment for various reasons.

3. a properly designed tank would always have the suction port off the bottom of the tank for that reason: so as to not suck any particles that might be in there. some even put in-line screens on the suction line, but most tanks don't offer access to change them if you ever had to, not to mention if they got clogged, it would ruin your pump from lack of oil flow.

4. bottom line is to take care never to allow anything to get inside your tank.

Thanks for the info. I have been in the planning stages of building my own splitter and accumulating parts as i go along. Hydralics are one thing that I have never spent a lot of time educating myself on, and the advise on this board has been invaluable.
I have a good splitter now, its downfall are two fold. The wedge is on the ram, and the cylce time is to slow for my preference.

Its a Speeco 25 ton with a 8 hp Tecumseh it says made in Golden CO. he said he bought it at Farm and Fleet about 7 years ago, he has never had a problem with it, and I just used it to split up a 10 cord logger truck load of wood with it. I'm not a engineer I'm just telling you what I'm looking at. I was going to use his as a template for one that I am building. If the flow is good why not filter on the suction side? His seems to work just fine, splits very fast.

Latest posts

Back