Notherntools....Powerhorse log splitters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slick

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone used Northern's new two way log splitters? http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200365526_200365526

Pretty good concept, splits in both directions, check out the video in that link but figured I'd ask some guys who have split alot more than I before I dropped any $$$ :)

1157_lg.gif

I'm not sure I understand how this would work. Can't tell much from the pictures, but I can't see a standard hydraulic cylinder having the same force retracting as extending.

Almost as strong....you loose the surface area of the rod I guess...but that's it...other than that if you apply the same pressure to the same surface area (again the rod will eat up some area on the return) you get the same force....I figure hydraulics are used to pull all the time....backhoe etc..., why not on a splitter?

I've been looking at that splitter online for 2 weeks now wanting to hit the buy button. They have a couple sweet options that are attractive to me. I have been wanting to try a splitfire side by side with my supersplit. I can see myself easily welding on a 4 way wedge on this splitter. They also have the 3-pt hitch model and just a splitter assembly without motor for a very good price. These two models are very interesting to me as I do 90% 16" wood so the 18" stroke would be sweet for me.

I have had pretty good luck with hundreds of hours on honda knock off motors but they are not honda motors. They leak some oil out of the head area, the throttle linkage is weak, the muffler bolts fell off in the 1st hour on two of the units I have had, the on/off switch breaks easily.

Note that the smaller model has a 3gpm pump and is really slow. The 20 ton model has an 11gpm pump and the cycle time is 7-8 seconds. If you want a copy of the manual powerhorse splitter manual, pm me an I'll email it to you.

I like those split fires, you can get a longer length for an OWB....anyone know where to get pricing on them? Direct buy only?

Northerntool said the one in the video is the 13 ton model, which is the really slow one. The 20 ton should have about a 7-8 second cycle time(one way). I really, really wanted one but was concerned about the structural integrity and parts availability. For instance, you cannot replace just the wedge, you have to replace the whole slide assembly, same with the toe plates.....have to replace the whole beam.

Why would have you to replace the whole thing? It's just steel....that's what welders are for :)

I like those split fires, you can get a longer length for an OWB....anyone know where to get pricing on them? Direct buy only?

I called split fire a while back they said that Hamilton Equipment distributes them in Pa. So I called Hamilton at 717-733-7951,they gave me names of several local dealers. They are a bit pricey but have to be well made,because their biggest clients are rental companies.I priced the #3255 suggested retail was $3495.00 and the 4290 was $4395.00. I also priced 2- 3 point models the #3403 was $1720.00 and the #4403 was $2945.00

I was at the local NT store about 2 weeks ago. They had these splitters on display next to the front doors. From what I saw, the 13 ton looked pretty flimsy. And the 20 a bit less flimsy than the 13. They dont look as well made as the other splitters NT carries in stock at the same store, (22,30,
& 37 ton models). You may want to see one first hand before ordering from a catalog.

LOL..low splitters are OK if you're use to them. I have a 20+ yo American that only a foot off the ground...I split sitting on a log and I like it that way.

Back to the video at the end when the demonstrator splits that elm with the 13ton...HOLY COW!

With my splitter, that I'm very happy with, I'd have to shave that size elm off the sides a little. Of course back in the day I could also do elm twice that diameter by shaving off the sides too...todays elms rarely get to a 8in diameter before they die.

Anyway I like the concept of that 2 way splitter but before I bought one I'd want operate it. Splitters last a very long, long time and I wouldn't want one that was uncomfortable because of out of place controls or exhaust always blowing in your face.

Making firewood is hard enough.

They had a demo of them at the Northern store near me 2 weeks ago. THey seem to work fine. I was talking with the Northern person and he happened to be the service technican. He said they where made in China. I asked for a recommendation on what to buy, and he said, not these, get a Norhtstar with the Honda engine.

Try the NT 30 ton

I was at the local NT store about 2 weeks ago. They had these splitters on display next to the front doors. From what I saw, the 13 ton looked pretty flimsy. And the 20 a bit less flimsy than the 13. They dont look as well made as the other splitters NT carries in stock at the same store, (22,30,
& 37 ton models). You may want to see one first hand before ordering from a catalog.

I've run a dozen cords through my Northstar 30 (5.5 HP Honda) and I'm pretty impressed with this unit. I have not had it stopped by ANYTHING yet. Oak, elm, Y's, etc. I got it for about $1700 including shipping and would have paid over $2K for this splitter. I split alone most of the time so cycling time is not a factor. It is optimal for and can keep up with 2 people splitting. The best feature is the idle control, I split all day long on 1 tank of fuel and it's still not empty. The idle control also makes it a very quiet.:chainsaw:

Back