Nova Scotia hardwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The veneer wood is hard maple and yellow birch, pic 0916. Saw logs are maple, birch and ash. Firewood is a mix these plus poplar and beech.

Hi Mike, the wood was hauled with an old C6 CanCar porter. It is a double bunk, not much to look at but it runs great. I have an old C4 skidder also to do selective cuts with. For a two man operation these machines are enough.

Nice machine, I was expecting one a lot older. There aren't alot of forwarders around here, skidders seem to be prefered. There was an old C5D cable skidder that worked around here for a couple of years, that thing pulled alot of wood and on some pretty bad ground too. I don't remember the guy having any trouble with it either.

There are more C5's around here than any other makes, and they are dependable. Will take pic of C4 tomorrow. There are 11 old C4's working in my area, owned by landowners for there own use. I got a C4 because many landowners don't want large equipment on their land, and a new small skidder is alot of money.

Small new skidders are almost non existant :laugh: Around here the timberjack 230 is probably the most popular skidder but you'll see a lot of stuff. Most woodlot owners here own 4x4 tractors with winches.

I thought about a tractor, have logged with JD 5200 and Int 634, but went with the C4. I have it home now to do some of my own land this winter. here are two pics.

We have a Massey Ferguson 1040 tractor. Its one of the Japanese machines and I'm not realy fond of it. It's about 33 Hp, 4x4 and it has a loader.I won't use it in the woods though becuase it has terrible balance. Right now my dad and I are looking at a 1962 TimberJack 200 with a little ford gas engine, I think it will work pretty well. Any idea what a used 16.9 x 30 tire would cost?

My C4 has the ford gas,works great. People said it would be had on gas, but I can move 38 tons of wood on 8 gallons. I was looking for a diesel,but this C4 was owned by an elderly gentleman for the past 20 years, and only used for his own firewood. I can't say for sure on the tire, a friend got a nearly new one for his 230 for $1000.

The old TJ I'm looking at was owned by an old guy since new. He passed away a year ago and now his widow wants it to go. How long do you figure a gallon of gas will last with that motor?

Your gas consumption will vary on haul length, ground conditions, size of load and how heavy your foot is. This summer I had a short haul and hard, level ground and could run 6 hours on 3 gallons. Last winter on a longer haul, muddy ground, uphill haul it would take 5 gallons for same hours.

Latest posts

Back