Novice questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penn

Reaction score
I recently bought a Still 031 and have never used a chain saw before. We went out cutting and worked mostly on downed cedar up to about 18 inches in diameter. I had a few problems which I am sure are very basic, oh well. Is it normal for a new chain to get loose very often? How tight is best? ( I did read the manual).

After cutting well for a while I wasn't sure if there was enough chain oil comming out and increased the rate. Later the saw cut poorly and smoked alot. I figure the chain got dull on the dense wood and dirt from the logs which were on the ground, having been felled a within the last few years. If the chain oil is too high can that interfere with cutting, or was the saw just dull? I am open to any ideas you have?

Also how can you tell how high to turn up the carb?
Thanks

A new chain will stretch and a hot chain will also get loose.
Don`t tighten a hot chain too tight because when it cools it will be even tighter.
The chain should fit in the groove of the bar and should not hang off the bottom of the bar at all.
Not too tight as to make it difficult to turn by hand.
Lift on the nose of the bar before you tighten or adjust the chain.
You`ll see the extra play in the chain.
Always raise the nose on the bar, adjust the chain tension and then secure the nuts.

There are holes in the bar for lubrication, keep these open and free of sawdust and clean the groove in the bar with the special bar tool.
Too much chain oil won`t affect the cutting but any dirt at all will take the edge off your chain in a split second.

Don`t touch the carb until the saw is broken in.
Remember to turn the bar over once in a while to get even wear on both sides of the bar.

Quote from previous post-
Too much chain oil won`t affect the cutting but any dirt at all will take the edge off your chain in a split second.
I have seen inexperienced users and even people who claim to know how to use a chainsaw dull a chain in SECONDS from hitting dirt. It is very easy to dull a chain until you gain enough understanding of exactly how quickly dirt will dull a sharp edge. A dull chain will heat up very fast, and stretch out. If your chain is in need of adjustment constantly, you can bet it is too dull to use.
Kevin was correct in chain tension instructions. While lifting up slightly on the bar tip, the chain should not sag, but still spin freely.

Lazy chain adjuster

You fellas are making me sound lazy! HaHa, I just turn my saw upside down to make chain adjustments. I never knew that till a while back. Works slick, no trying to hold up the bar and tighten bar nuts although it may not work on short bars as well , not enough weight. just my 2 cents worth.:D

hell you do not need a special tool to clean out the bar rails all you need is an old hack saw blade and take a grinder and grind off one end so you have a slight angle on it and use it teeth side up and that works slick to clean out the rail and plus it saves a little bit of space in your scrap bin. that is an old farmer trick. ;)

One of my 'on-the-job' tricks was to break a tine off of a metal leaf rake. Works perfect to clean out a bar. The added benifit is that I could get new replacement rakes more often cause "Those idiot groundmen keep tearing up my rakes!!!" :blob2:

Since no one mentioned the oil thing, a way to tell if you have enough (or too much) oil is to run the saw up to speed near a clean piece of wood. Hold the tip near the wood, and you will see a small amount of oil spatter coming off the chain and landing on the wood. If you can't see any, up the oil, if you have gobs, turn it down a bit.
Turning the saw upside down sounds like a pretty good idea. I'll be giving it a try next time I touch my chain!

Alan

And I thought I was the only cheap SOB to use a hacksaw blade to clean out the bar?! It must be the farmer in me. :)

one thing i do to tension the chain with out flipping it over is set the end of the bar up on a log and have the body of the saw on the ground and that will hold hte tip of the bar up so gas does not pour out.

Latest posts

Back