Now I see what you guys have been saying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gark

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have been using a MS290 to cut wood for several years. But today I used a Pro Mac 700 that a buddy wanted 'cleaned and tested'. It sat in his barn unused for 10 years. Put a new Stihl semi-chisel (RM) chain on the saw's 20 inch bar. Coughed on the 4th pull and started on the next. WOW. It's an animal. Torque!
Have looked around for spec's on the 'ol 700 but found nothing. So:
Does anyone know the 700's displacement? What modern Stihl or Husky would provide the same GRUNT? The poor 'lil 290 will never look the same.

mac specs

Pro Mac 700

YEAR INTRODUCED:
YEAR DISCONTINUED:
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT:
4.3 cu. in. (70.5 cc):jawdrop: :greenchainsaw:
CYLINDER BORE:
2.00 in.
PISTON STROKE:
1.375 in.
CYLINDER TYPE:

INTAKE METHOD:
Piston ported
:givebeer: :popcorn:

Thats a nice looking saw.

I'd say a 372xp Husky or 441 Stihl would cut the same. Both options, and any 70cc gets the nod for all around wood cutting... at least, in my eyes.

Have been using a MS290 to cut wood for several years. But today I used a Pro Mac 700 that a buddy wanted 'cleaned and tested'. It sat in his barn unused for 10 years. Put a new Stihl semi-chisel (RM) chain on the saw's 20 inch bar. Coughed on the 4th pull and started on the next. WOW. It's an animal. Torque!
Have looked around for spec's on the 'ol 700 but found nothing. So:
Does anyone know the 700's displacement? What modern Stihl or Husky would provide the same GRUNT? The poor 'lil 290 will never look the same.

You should have never done it, I made the same mistake, Now I rarely pick up anything less than 60 or 70CC's. Now listen to me, Never ever try a 660 or 395 unless you have an extra thousand laying around.:buttkick:

The 700 has comparable cutting ability with todays saws, just NO AV, and loud as all get out...still a cool unit though..:)

Thanks hey. Have been longing to upgrade to Stihl Ms361 (4.4 cu.inch) and am looking for ammunition. That pro mac rocks. I must reluctantly give it back to its owner soon, however.

and loud as all get out...still a cool unit though..:)
Yes them old Macs were loud but no different then a modded muffler
Thanks hey. Have been longing to upgrade to Stihl Ms361 (4.4 cu.inch) and am looking for ammunition. That pro mac rocks. I must reluctantly give it back to its owner soon, however.
It's too bad he won't sell it to you.

Pro Mac 700

YEAR INTRODUCED:
YEAR DISCONTINUED:
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT:
4.3 cu. in. (70.5 cc):jawdrop: :greenchainsaw:
CYLINDER BORE:
2.00 in.
PISTON STROKE:
1.375 in.
CYLINDER TYPE:

INTAKE METHOD:
Piston ported
:givebeer: :popcorn:

Well that's the same CC as my 1970 Mac7-10:givebeer:

Yes them old Macs were loud but no different then a modded muffler

It's too bad he won't sell it to you.

I think I have an aftermarket muffler on my Mac, a stainless "superquiet", real easy to burn yourself on, melted a hole in my chaps. Nice tone, I think now I would like to mount that saw on a spare mtn. bike on the back rack:monkey:

Yes and no

Thats a nice looking saw.

I'd say a 372xp Husky or 441 Stihl would cut the same. Both options, and any 70cc gets the nod for all around wood cutting... at least, in my eyes.

Normally a 70cc saw would match up to another 70cc saw. In the case of the older 70cc saws vs. the newer ones, nah, they newer saws are a HUGE disappointment in torque. Gark, you'd need to hit around the 80cc range to even come close to the torque that old Mac put out. The new saw aren't made to push on like those old ones were. Even my old 66cc 041's have more torque, and I mean considerable than the 440 I've got and the 372's I've run. Not even in the same neighborhood as fast, but you can lift so hard on the saw with the dawgs on the 041's that it'll spin the whole log and not even come close to stalling. The 440 and 372 will die with less than 1/2 the pressure. Just my .02 so you know... :popcorn:

:cheers:

If you think the Mac rocks skip the 361 and go with a 441, 372, or 7900:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Welcome to oldsawfunnerville. It's always nice to see a new convert. Yup those older saws were a whole different ballgame. It gives you the same feeling as paying extra for a v8, you might not always need it but when you do it's there! Also I just don't get the feeling that the saw is tuned within an inch of it's life when I use an old saw. Congrats on a good saw experience.:clap:

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but maybe I can buy this Pro Mac 700. What would be a fair dollar value to offer for it? Does anyone know what it sold for new? Wouldn't parts be hard to find if need be? The torque compares nicely with the Homelite Zipsaw I had. I mean, I layed on this saw with the 20' bar totally sunk in maple (new sharp chain) and it didn't bog at all- it begged for more. What should I offer?
Thanks.

150-200 would be in the ballpark that is what I see them go for. That saw looks like has low hours and in very nice shape and well worth the money. Parts are not too hard to find and I am sure the macheads around here alone could keep you in business.

A 700 in the condition that one is would go for $300 or more on eBay. Parts are everywhere for them, same basic design from the '60s. Get it!!!:clap:

Latest posts

Back