Now I'm an Echo CS-440 owner. Anything I should know?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in MA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I haven't been active in the chainsaw scene for a while, but I realized every saw I owned from my collecting days was older than I am. That's great and all, until you need a certain part in a hurry and the dealers don't even remember your model number. Picked up a new Poulan 4218 in trade, but I took one look inside that thing and realized it wasn't made with much longevity in mind. Sold at a profit, at least.

So I found a rarely used Echo CS-440 for about a buck fifty. Say what you will about their power, Echo parts support is tremendous and very inexpensive. Should do well for a homeowner like me.

So anyway, anything I should know once the little beast comes in? Other than the usual clean and tune? I'll be happy just to have something easier to lift than my 111S.

And I know AS hates on Echos, but I'm not looking for a monster. Just something that won't break on me.

I have a 440. Not very impressed with it at all. I also have a Echo 320 I think it is. The 320 is great for it's price. I usuall us it instead of the 440 even for slighly larger wood. I took the muffler's exterior baffle off of the 320 and it really came alive. I did the same for the 440 and nothing. I think the 320 actlualy delivers more HP.

But maybe I got a lemon. To be honest, the 440 is not well broken in as I always go for the 320. So maybe it may evently liven up.

Thanks

As with any saw, keep cutters razor-sharp. Guided hand-filing is simple.
Keep fins and filters clean. Make it sing.

Cheap parts

I haven't been active in the chainsaw scene for a while, but I realized every saw I owned from my collecting days was older than I am. That's great and all, until you need a certain part in a hurry and the dealers don't even remember your model number. Picked up a new Poulan 4218 in trade, but I took one look inside that thing and realized it wasn't made with much longevity in mind. Sold at a profit, at least.

So I found a rarely used Echo CS-440 for about a buck fifty. Say what you will about their power, Echo parts support is tremendous and very inexpensive. Should do well for a homeowner like me.

So anyway, anything I should know once the little beast comes in? Other than the usual clean and tune? I'll be happy just to have something easier to lift than my 111S.

Congrats on new saw! With that said, where have you found cheap echo parts? I need some, and every place I have looked..they sure ain't cheap. Of course I guess comparing OEM to OEM they are similar in dineros to the big eurosaws, but as for relatively cheap non-OEM aftermarket...I haven't found any.

You can order parts at sepw, most not all cost a lot les than oem Stihl and Husky parts. Rings are around $5 pistons $40 to $55 CS680 P@C $125 Whole new shortblock for a CS400 $153 . Not bad for OEM Steve

Congrats on new saw! With that said, where have you found cheap echo parts? I need some, and every place I have looked..they sure ain't cheap. Of course I guess comparing OEM to OEM they are similar in dineros to the big eurosaws, but as for relatively cheap non-OEM aftermarket...I haven't found any.

I haven't tried sourcing Echo chainsaw parts or aftermarket, but for OEM parts for other Echo gear I've found Mowpart has the lowest prices. Unlike some of the big brands, you can shop dozens of online Echo parts distributors, and they'll usually stock stuff going back to the '70s.

That's a steal.

A seldom-used Echo 440 for $150? If you see another ad for one of these for the same price, send it to me so that I can buy it. My Echo 3900 peforms today the same way that it did 15 years ago.
Echo3900.jpg

Can't kill it. Terrific saw. :cheers:

Should be here tomorrow. Any bets on whether I'm going to get hosed or not? Last time I bought a good saw on eBay was about nine years ago.

Looks good to me. the echo logo on the bars doesn't last long so if that is the original bar the saw has very little cut time on it. we have a CS4400 and it's an ok saw.

The chain's not original, but the saw isn't scraped up much (especially the rubber grips on these things seem to wear quickly) so I'm guessing the bar is original.

Just showed up. Looks clean, not used much. Some areas have wear I'm not used to seeing on low-hour saws, but I think that's because I'm used to things that're solid metal and weigh 20 pounds.

Didn't realize the seller didn't run the carb out and accidentally started it in the kitchen. :rock: It's QUIET

Hey, you're not gonna get my new saw that easily. I'm starting to like it.

Definitely need to yank the limiter caps, though. It stumbles until it's fully warmed up.

Back