Now what are they gonna do with it?-a wasted opportunity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My gosh, Spring seems like a lifetime ago now to me! But back in late April, early May, while driving on Emmaus Avenue heading towards the I-78 underpass (I know there are a lot of locals on here) I spotted a TON of Walnut limbs and rounds from several trees that were taken down-there was a lot of wood there. Shortly afterwards there was a sign with the phone number saying "WOOD-CALLS ONLY" so I called it and left a message saying if the were looking to get rid of it call back but if they were selling it forget it 'cause I'm a scrounger that doesn't buy wood. Needless to say I didn't get a call back which is fine, but it is now almost October and when I drive past there it looks the same as it did before except the weeds are higher around the piles; the log lengths aren't big enough probably to mill them, and the other stuff is still laying unsplit in sections. Now I know that they thought they would sell this months ago, and maybe they didn't have the capabilities to cut it to size and split it back in May, but it just seems like a wasted opprotunity just lying there. Or some poor sap will buy it next month and split it and try to burn it and be disappointed.

I know it is none of my business-and it isn't sour grapes that I didn't get any of it 'cause I didn't need it anyway and got better BTU wood, but I guess it's just the "internal" clock and woodburner instinct inside me that looks at that everyday and shakes his head!! :msp_confused:

I know the piles you speak of fairly well. The guy advertising on craigslist is trying to sell it, as is, to recoup some supposed loss after the good saw logs were harvested. Apparently, he subbed out the logging to another contractor that didn't fulfill the clean up portion. He's been asking ballpark of 50-75 per truck load as it sits. Says he'll cut it and split it as time permits and ask $200 a cord....probably thinks a pickup bed full is a cord. I've got the feeling he thinks those are piles of gold sitting there rotting away.

I know the piles you speak of fairly well. The guy advertising on craigslist is trying to sell it, as is, to recoup some supposed loss after the good saw logs were harvested. Apparently, he subbed out the logging to another contractor that didn't fulfill the clean up portion. He's been asking ballpark of 50-75 per truck load as it sits. Says he'll cut it and split it as time permits and ask $200 a cord....probably thinks a pickup bed full is a cord. I've got the feeling he thinks those are piles of gold sitting there rotting away.

Several years ago I spotted where a farmer had pulled down a row of locusts - just laying there. Stopped and asked about them. Saidhe hadn't decided. A year later he called and asked what I would charge to ccut them up - no splitting and pile brush 'as convenient. I eyeballed and quoted $100. Apparently not to his tasts as I got no reply (odd as he is the one who wanted a quote). Following year it was still there and I needed something to kill a day or two. Wrote him with an offer to do it freebies plus one load of rounds - no answer. Saw last month that they had been cut up and brush piled.

Harry K

Big orange came around and cut 3 big oaks and 2 big ash. Left all the trunks in this persons yard. I went up and asked them if they wanted it gone. They said they wanted it, so i thanked them for there time, and gave em my number, in case they found it to hard to deal with the large wood. Its now been 6 months with nothing touched. I stopped in again the other day incase they changed there mind. The guy said that he couldn't cut or move the wood, as he showed me his 14 in craftsmen saw. Says he will try again next summer when the wood is lighter.
These are good 30-36 diameter logs on the ground. I think they will spend eternity in that spot unless someone steals them, but that won't be me.

People are funny like that some times when it comes to old cars sitting out wasting away as there are those who also would rather let good wood just lay and rot. :dizzy:

Big orange came around and cut 3 big oaks and 2 big ash. Left all the trunks in this persons yard. I went up and asked them if they wanted it gone. They said they wanted it, so i thanked them for there time, and gave em my number, in case they found it to hard to deal with the large wood. Its now been 6 months with nothing touched. I stopped in again the other day incase they changed there mind. The guy said that he couldn't cut or move the wood, as he showed me his 14 in craftsmen saw. Says he will try again next summer when the wood is lighter.
These are good 30-36 diameter logs on the ground. I think they will spend eternity in that spot unless someone steals them, but that won't be me.

Big orange=Asplundh?

I think this is when some people learn that there is a big difference between wood and firewood. Sure, you can have the tree service leave the logs for you, but there's still quite a bit of work to turn those logs into firewood. A guy down the street had a 18 inch or so diameter red oak taken down years ago. They left all the wood stacked in his front yard. I had to drive by it everyday going to and from work and it killed me not to ask about it, but I resisted (I guess the 12 step program worked!). After about a year, he cut the logs up and moved the rounds to his back yard...where they still sit today, surrounded by weeds.

No sense telling him they will never get lighter.

I drive past a 3' dia red oak that was dropped like 7 years ago....its still just laying there. The worst thing is that its probably 24' long and is perfectly strait ....stupid

And yes I asked for it after a few years.

Putting a Super Walmart in my town...just my nature, the waste makes me cry.

Made me realize if I ever have to do a deal like that where I know the land and house is being cleared, I'm demanding a 90 day period from when they irrevocably commit to the purchase to the closing date and I'm doing everything from selling or giving away every tree to stripping the copper out of the house myself :laugh:

Did look like someone salvaged the sun room glass from one of the homes a couple days after construction started, and I know the meth heads had already cleaned out the copper. But there's acres and acres of stout oaks being piled up from the grinder.

Thanks Pony for the info-that explains a lot! If he would've split it back in May he'd make some bucks on it now-I don't know who the heck is gonna buy it now as is and then try to use it in November but some one probably will...

Thanks again!

Putting a Super Walmart in my town...just my nature, the waste makes me cry.

Made me realize if I ever have to do a deal like that where I know the land and house is being cleared, I'm demanding a 90 day period from when they irrevocably commit to the purchase to the closing date and I'm doing everything from selling or giving away every tree to stripping the copper out of the house myself :laugh:

Did look like someone salvaged the sun room glass from one of the homes a couple days after construction started, and I know the meth heads had already cleaned out the copper. But there's acres and acres of stout oaks being piled up from the grinder.

I too drive by almost everyday. They destroyed that land, wasted the houses, the trees and now IMHO the quality of life in that area

People are funny like that some times when it comes to old cars sitting out wasting away as there are those who also would rather let good wood just lay and rot. :dizzy:

CarsinBarns.com

''Im going to get to it some day''. Ive said it for years if its something you really want to do you will find the time for it.

My gosh, Spring seems like a lifetime ago now to me! But back in late April, early May, while driving on Emmaus Avenue heading towards the I-78 underpass (I know there are a lot of locals on here) I spotted a TON of Walnut limbs and rounds from several trees that were taken down-there was a lot of wood there. Shortly afterwards there was a sign with the phone number saying "WOOD-CALLS ONLY" so I called it and left a message saying if the were looking to get rid of it call back but if they were selling it forget it 'cause I'm a scrounger that doesn't buy wood. Needless to say I didn't get a call back which is fine, but it is now almost October and when I drive past there it looks the same as it did before except the weeds are higher around the piles; the log lengths aren't big enough probably to mill them, and the other stuff is still laying unsplit in sections. Now I know that they thought they would sell this months ago, and maybe they didn't have the capabilities to cut it to size and split it back in May, but it just seems like a wasted opprotunity just lying there. Or some poor sap will buy it next month and split it and try to burn it and be disappointed.

I know it is none of my business-and it isn't sour grapes that I didn't get any of it 'cause I didn't need it anyway and got better BTU wood, but I guess it's just the "internal" clock and woodburner instinct inside me that looks at that everyday and shakes his head!! :msp_confused:

Well, to tell the truth, the very word "walnut" has gone on my list of swear words. Mention it, and I am likely to either walk away without a word or give serious consideration to providing you with an excuse to stop by the local ER with a severe limp.

Three weeks ago a lady called and said she had a large tree that needed to be removed from their front lawn. They were planning on a remodel and it was in the way, and mentioned twice it was a walnut. So I go out to give em a price.

22 inches at the base, and 9 feet up to the first branch. And three birdhouses and one bird feeder nailed to the tree. You can just bet that for every nail you see there are at least 5426548 more hidden away. Not enough room in the yard to swing a midget around on a rope, so its coming down in pieces. Gave her a price of $1700 to remove and grind the stump, to which she replied, "well, we get a check before you cut anything, right?"

Um, no, thats what you pay me and my crew to remove it maam.

"But its a walnut tree! Its worth many times that for boards!" Needless to say, I didnt get that job, and last time I drove by that tree was still standing there, right along a big pile of building material.

Then there was the guy this Monday. Called and said he had several piles of logs on his property, and wanted to know if I wanted them. They were dropped and dragged out of the woods by a logging crew, then they got themselves into a jamb when it was discovered that they had wandered over the property line and had sat there for two years while the legal battle went on. Now he just wanted them gone.

As you may have guessed, almost 1/3 of the 23 logs were walnut. The rest were a mix of red oak, poplar,white oak, and one hickory. I gave him a price of $600 after measuring the length and diamters, and he hit the roof. He said that he was told that he could expect to get $4000 to $6000 just for the walnut.

I explained that at no market would he get that kind of money for walnut, even if the trees were fresh cut. But now all he had was a big pile of firewood as the trunks had split a good bit, twisted some, and everything on the bottom was rotted. After paying for a driver and self loader and hauling them to the mill, he would be lucky if the mill gave him anything. Better to cut your losses and bust it into firewood.

Nope, the guy was convinced that big pile of trash was going to fund him a new pickup truck, and nothing I could say was going to change his mind.

ugh that website made me queasy. :dizzy: :dizzy:I hate seeing good old cars that would be perfect winter projects just sitting out rotting away. People are Freakin insane when it comes to hanging onto stuff. If you are never going to fix it, KNOW you are never going to fix it, and just hanging onto something because someone else owned it and you have a sentimental attachment, you have to think in your mind what would that person rather see, it fixed up and enjoyed or rotting and mice ridden.

There was a time, years ago when walnut was standard veneer material for home speaker system finishes and television/stereo cabinets. It's all plastic now. The market for walnut veneer has gone to pot.

I agree that some folks are just plain hoarders. In their minds they'll set a fantastically high value on objects that are, in the real world essentially worthless. That's why the stuff sets and rots.

Well, to tell the truth, the very word "walnut" has gone on my list of swear words. Mention it, and I am likely to either walk away without a word or give serious consideration to providing you with an excuse to stop by the local ER with a severe limp.

Three weeks ago a lady called and said she had a large tree that needed to be removed from their front lawn. They were planning on a remodel and it was in the way, and mentioned twice it was a walnut. So I go out to give em a price.

22 inches at the base, and 9 feet up to the first branch. And three birdhouses and one bird feeder nailed to the tree. You can just bet that for every nail you see there are at least 5426548 more hidden away. Not enough room in the yard to swing a midget around on a rope, so its coming down in pieces. Gave her a price of $1700 to remove and grind the stump, to which she replied, "well, we get a check before you cut anything, right?"

"But its a walnut tree! Its worth many times that for boards!" Needless to say, I didnt get that job, and last time I drove by that tree was still standing there, right along a big pile of building material.

Then there was the guy this Monday. Called and said he had several piles of logs on his property, and wanted to know if I wanted them. They were dropped and dragged out of the woods by a logging crew, then they got themselves into a jamb when it was discovered that they had wandered over the property line and had sat there for two years while the legal battle went on. Now he just wanted them gone.

As you may have guessed, almost 1/3 of the 23 logs were walnut. The rest were a mix of red oak, poplar,white oak, and one hickory. I gave him a price of $600 after measuring the length and diamters, and he hit the roof. He said that he was told that he could expect to get $4000 to $6000 just for the walnut.

I explained that at no market would he get that kind of money for walnut, even if the trees were fresh cut. But now all he had was a big pile of firewood as the trunks had split a good bit, twisted some, and everything on the bottom was rotted. After paying for a driver and self loader and hauling them to the mill, he would be lucky if the mill gave him anything. Better to cut your losses and bust it into firewood.

Nope, the guy was convinced that big pile of trash was going to fund him a new pickup truck, and nothing I could say was going to change his mind.

people are idiots simple as that

I have a lawn customer that swears his 14" black walnut is worth a season of mowing if I take it down. Needless to say, he's still paying me to clean up the tree...and will be doing the same for the foreseeable future.

Back