NT Powerhorse two-way splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
There was a thread a few weeks back about Steve NW WI's experience with the Great Northern two-way splitter. He seemed positive about the way it worked. This looked like a good unit for my 4-5 cords per year production I need to feed the wood stove. Plus, my shoulders are starting to give out after a couple decades of manual splitting, so the timing was right.

Steve's thread

Here's the way it looks upon opening the box:
fireworks200

fireworks200

fireworks200

fireworks200

More to come...

more pictures and a boring video

Here's how I lifted the splitter beam out of the box: I used my curling bar, some rigging slings and a come-a-long anchored to the ceiling beam in my garage. Once I got it balanced, it was quite easy to lift and manuever, but without this set-up it's definitely a two-person job. The section with the engine, fluid tank and axle was not too heavy, so I just lifted that out by hand.

fireworks200

'nother angle of lift

fireworks200

Now the excitement of the video. It seems faster in person than what the video shows.

Powerhorse Log Splitter - YouTube

Nice, any splitter beats a maul. Buying a splitter is never a easy decision but once we finally take a "crow-bar" to the wallet, we are glad we did. Now you will see just how many friends you actually have. Because they will want to borrow.

I just got a North Star splitter from NT and saw this one as I was waiting for mine, and was impressed it was made in the good ole USA.

Did you have the engine running at full throttle for the video?
Other videos I've seen of the 20 ton seemed a bit faster, matching the advertised 7 second split time in each direction.

Bob, Is that all you burn is 4 - 5 cord?

I looked at those a little, as I have seen them get good reviews elsewhere on the net. If I recall correctly, the deal breaker for me was that they did a max of 18" wood?

Looks like it will do you well.

Great Pics rmi. How was assembly and how experienced are you doing this stuff? Is the engine easy to start and does it have a fuel shut off?
Also are you satisified with this piece of equipment?
Thanks in advance.

Bob, your new machine looks nice. I might need those assembly tips. My dealer that had the demo sold it to one of my buddies, but he got a couple more in and said he's leaving one in the crate for me if I want it cheaper.

Practice makes speed with these. It took me a couple hours of running it before I got a knack for which way to move things, and if I wanted to back the ram up or run it through. Once you're used to it, it'll wear ya out. Heck, it wore about 3 of us out that day!

I didn't video that one, but I don't remember as much hydraulic whine, but we had other splitters and lots of saws going in the same area, so maybe I just didn't notice it.

After a while, you'll stop worrying about trash by the lever end block, it actually cleans out of there pretty well.

Bob, Is that all you burn is 4 - 5 cord?

I looked at those a little, as I have seen them get good reviews elsewhere on the net. If I recall correctly, the deal breaker for me was that they did a max of 18" wood?

Looks like it will do you well.

They'll take 24" wood. I did some looking, for some reason they make a 3 point hitch model that only does 18"???

Wow! I really like it. I just checked the web site and they are on sale for $949. Shipping would run $169. No sales tax for me either.
Once I have my winter reserves built up I will only be splitting 5-7 cord per year and this thing would work out great. I like the compactness of it the best. I believe this will be in my shed by next winter.

I saw what i thought was a Powerhorse splitter at TSC. That one was made in China so I stepped away from it. I hope I'm not confusing the two but the blog on the one from TSC had the chinese engine blowing up to often. I sure hope the two are not the same. If it's American made no chance of that.

Hi RMIHALEK:

I always did like that little PowerHorse 2-way splitter. And ya can't beat the price. I have a little Ryobi electric splitter now and it suits my needs just fine, but if I were ever to get another splitter, it would be this 20 ton PowerHorse. I would pick it up at Northern Tool and save the shipping cost. If ya build a simple table to hold the rounds to be split, you'll increase your production quite a bit. Is there anything you "don't like" about that splitter? There's a guy that makes and sells a 4-way wedge for that puppy.

I made a video of my Ryobi splitter. Watch it to see if it gives ya any ideas. http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/191891.htm

Don <><

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have had my splitter now for 2 years now? Still the engine starts up faster then the tiller engine or the simplicity mower. It has split "almost" everything Ive put through it. (everything except the 60d pole spike I found) I am still happy with the purcashe. I did have the air intake break on me though.. I think something got bumped into it when it was in the storage shed. 1 call to the support line and I had a new filter housing in 3 days.

View attachment 225831

I saw what i thought was a Powerhorse splitter at TSC. That one was made in China so I stepped away from it. I hope I'm not confusing the two but the blog on the one from TSC had the chinese engine blowing up to often. I sure hope the two are not the same. If it's American made no chance of that.

The spec sheet on the website says MADE IN THE USA. Bottom right hand of the page. The engine may very well be foreign.

I just went online with NT and asked where the engine was made. The representative said it was made in China. That the reason I didn't get one. Good luck with though.

I've got one and worked it hard (not abused). Bent the wedge on some twisty cherry, got a new one under warranty. The wedge basically took the shape of the wood grain. Blew out the piston seals, rebuilt it myself and found the piston seals had a defect. I think they have made some improvements since I got mine, the suction line was a joke at that time. The engine has always been great. The frame does some serious flexing under load and both my end stops are bent.
That being said I still think its a decent unit for the price for a moderate amount of wood.

so far

Well, I've run about 4 cords through the splitter so far: about 1 for me, 1 for a neighbor across the street and about 2 cords of maple for another neighbor. My neighbors are all really cool people and I enjoy being able to help them out.

To answer a couple questions: I didn't measure the piece, but my neighbor with the maple had a long piece that was definitely more than 18" and probably closer ot 24". That seems about the maximum this unit can process.

As far as annual consumption, when we got the new stove installed 3 years ago ( a Harman TL300) we went from burning 5-6 cords down to 4-5, maybe even a little closer to the "4". This winter has been really easy on the wood supply; we'll probably get away with 3-4 cords if it stay as warm as it has been. So, with the splitter, I'll probably get all my splitting done in 4 or 5 weekends, so that's why I'll split wood with my neighbors too, since otherwise the machine will be sitting around too much!

So far, I'm really happy with the splitter. I run it on full throttle to keep the ram moving as quick as it can. As Steve said, I am getting better at utilizing the two-way action, and I can tell my productivity is going up. Though, I need to remind myself to take my time and enjoy being outside and not to hurry; there's plenty of time to split the wood I need.

The engine starts on the first or second pull and (oddly) needs the choke to start even when warm.

There's one mod I will definitely do: make a cover to protect the engine! I know it's just a matter of time before a log rolls (or gets pushed off) the rack and lands on the engine/gas tank. There are holes already drilled in the splitter beam that can be used to support a cover, I just need to stare at it for a little bit, make some measurements and come up with a design.

Good to hear it fits your needs! I too with my recent splitter purchase will be able to help out friends with stuff they can't bust with a maul. It's nice to be able to lend a hand, or a splitter ;)

Hi, I just bought the powerhorse and was looking for a 4way splitter head. Have any of you guys found one?

Thanks, and did you ever make that engine cover?

Patrick

Latest posts

Back