NYS Thruway firewood checkpoints

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would hire people to help me. I have a helper here and there now. To tell you the truth I'm trying to get out of cutting wood all together. I would rather buy it cut and split. I think it's cheaper overall. I can buy 2 cords for $210. To go to the woods and spend the time cutting,hauling,splitting,and dealing with saws the $210 is very well spent. Once I figure fuel and wear and tear I can make money having someone cut my wood then I can doing it myself. It frees me up to do other jobs. I'm getting oak hauled in right now for $90 a cord. It has been run through a processor and just split with a 4-way. I resplit the wood. I never even have to start my truck. It's hard to do it for that.

Scott

That sounds like a pretty good program. I try my best to stay out of the woods for product I intend to sell. So much easier to call the log truck, lay the logs out with the loader, and then buzz through them. I'll have to look into doing business your way as well.

That sounds like a pretty good program. I try my best to stay out of the woods for product I intend to sell. So much easier to call the log truck, lay the logs out with the loader, and then buzz through them. I'll have to look into doing business your way as well.

buying it like that (from a log truck) don't you have to at least pay what a mill would pay for the same load?

buying it like that (from a log truck) don't you have to at least pay what a mill would pay for the same load?

No most logging operations can take out the cull trees and sell them for firewood and these are trees that are not good for any kind of lumber, not even pallet wood. So it goes for a fair price for the amount of equipment and effort involved to harvest it.

Every time I sell wood in I take money out to buy wood again. I also take money out of the wood I cut to buy wood again. By doing this I gain every year. In the next 5-6 years I'll have enough money set back for 4-500 cords. Once I have that capital st aside I will have to do less work and still sell a bunch of wood. By hat time my bard should be concrete. That will make loading a lot faster. I'm trying to get things as efficient as I can. Labor costs will catch you in a hurry.

Scott

Being we are quaratined (WV). We CANNOT take firewood out of the state. I live in the eastern pan-handle, which means, I can be in Virginia, Maryland and Pa in less than 20 minutes. I was told they (firewood cops) have bin sitting at the 522 bridge, going into maryland, and if caught transporting firewood, the fine was $3,000.00. If someone could clarify, please do so.

They banned all firewood, for the simple fact that most people who cut firewood, don't know what ash looks like.

So, be careful, 50 dollars of wood ain't worth it.

Being we are quarantined (WV). We CANNOT take firewood out of the state. I live in the eastern pan-handle, which means, I can be in Virginia, Maryland and Pa in less than 20 minutes. I was told they (firewood cops) have bin sitting at the 522 bridge, going into maryland, and if caught transporting firewood, the fine was $3,000.00. If someone could clarify, please do so.

They banned all firewood, for the simple fact that most people who cut firewood, don't know what ash looks like.

So, be careful, 50 dollars of wood ain't worth it.

the beatle is in maple oak ash and any other wood they can get in

Here is a page with some more info http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/44008.html

Here is a form taken from that page. Self certifies you to transport wood less than 50 miles for personal use. Im assuming state campgrounds would require this or take your wood.
www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/selfisscert.pdfSuppose I'll print a few of these out. The last thing i need is a $350 ticket after loading my truck up from a nice craigslist score. Any law enforcement can enforce this law not just DEC.

Thanks for that link. I'll have those forms available in my store for any customer that may want them.

I agree with Dinger that some kind of effort should be made, but I hate the idea that simply having a load of wood in the back of the pickup truck is now a reason to be hassled by the police. So far this has not been happening, as the effort has been an educational one. But sooner or later, they'll start pulling people over.

The latest one is they have been nailing people for driving around with a hitch sticking out of their receiver. $250 fine. Insurance industry driven, as it can cause more damage if you back into someone with the hitch in there. Some guys have hitches in there so long they can't even get them out.

$3000 fine for you guys down in WV, is even more insane. It's like we are all living in 1930's Germany.

The latest one is they have been nailing people for driving around with a hitch sticking out of their receiver. $250 fine. Insurance industry driven, as it can cause more damage if you back into someone with the hitch in there. Some guys have hitches in there so long they can't even get them out.

This is a classic case of some people being stupid, making things more expensive for society as a whole, and the rest of us have to bow to them. I mean come on, what good does it do to leave it in? Several times in my life I have had to walk between cars in parking lots and almost broke my leg slamming into those things.

Same thing started the EAB problem. One individual somewhere in the world chose to ignore the kiln dried pallet wood rules and now we are about to lose our entire ash tree population. It all can be traced back to one individual somewhere chosing to be stupid, and now we will all pay.

My current supplier is charging $90 per cord of straight oak logs delivered. Hard to beat that when you think of the time it take to drive to a site, cut, load, drive back, and unload.

Thanks for that link. I'll have those forms available in my store for any customer that may want them.

I agree with Dinger that some kind of effort should be made, but I hate the idea that simply having a load of wood in the back of the pickup truck is now a reason to be hassled by the police. So far this has not been happening, as the effort has been an educational one. But sooner or later, they'll start pulling people over.

$3000 fine for you guys down in WV, is even more insane. It's like we are all living in 1930's Germany.

This "pulling people over for having trailer hitches" thing is a jaw dropper. It's like the government&police are taunting us. I won't type what I want to type right here. Is this folklore or has anyone on this site been pulled over for a hitch? That's stepping into making kids orphans department.

This is a classic case of some people being stupid, making things more expensive for society as a whole, and the rest of us have to bow to them. I mean come on, what good does it do to leave it in? Several times in my life I have had to walk between cars in parking lots and almost broke my leg slamming into those things.

Same thing started the EAB problem. One individual somewhere in the world chose to ignore the kiln dried pallet wood rules and now we are about to lose our entire ash tree population. It all can be traced back to one individual somewhere chosing to be stupid, and now we will all pay.

100% correct. I hit my shin on my own hitch once. Never left it in again!

I only take mine out if I need a different size ball, which is almost never since I sold my john boat.

Ian

1. I use my hitch regularly so it stays in.

2. If you are close enough to to bump your knee you are too close to my truck to begin with.

3. I have saved my insurance a lot of money by leaving the hitch in. I've been bumped at a light a half dozen times in my life. Each time I get out and see my hitch and bumper in perfect shape, and some little car with a hole in the bumper.

I think I'll just leave my hitch right where it is.

I go camping once a year and used to bring my own firewood, but they(the state) have banned bringing wood in. Last year I bought wood at a few of different places near the site. Cost me almost $12 a night and I could not find any within 10 miles that was truly seasoned and burned well. This year I am going to treat some of my supply and bring it with me. I have a friend with a kiln used to dry lumber, and if it meets the requirements of temperature, I am going that route.

I leave my hitch in too. I tow a trailer 5 - 6 days a week depending on work. Around here they have been breaking into trailers and stealing tools so I do not leave it on the job site.

dox53d.jpg
heres the book they / wood cops/ gave me after and all day check :help:tom

I sort of figure the beetle's gonna do what the beetle's gonna do. Maybe it makes me an apathetic, horrible person. But I just don't care&tend to think "law enforcement" knows controlling invasive beetles is a lost cause too and merely use transport fines as a revenue stream.

Latest posts

Back