Oak + Pond = Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkesler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Had an oak come down in our pond, and I would like to remove it. The trunk is about 16" diameter at the base, and it is about 2/3 submerged. I have removed the pieces that are out of the water, and now have a question. Will it hurt a chainsaw for the bar/chain to run partially submerged (not the motor, I know that is a "no go")? In other words, I need to wade out there in my hip waders and cut this into sections. I just hate the thought of running one of mine in the water...should I hunt up a cheapie saw for this job? Anybody got a throwaway "Wildthing" with about 3 cuts left in it?

Thanks,
Kurt

I noticed recently that while running my saw in my pond to rinse the bar after cutting up muddy stumps (don't worry, this was relegated to my old Craftsman 2.3ci) the water thrown back on the underside of the saw kept stalling it. Had to be careful in order to keep it from shutting off.

But then again...it's a Craftsman 2.3 ci....guess it all depends on filter location.

Chaser

What I found is that you need to pull the bar out of the water and rev the engine a few times to replenish the lube. You'll notice the saw starting to slow down a bit. Is there no way to pull the tree from the pond?

I would really suggest finding someone with a truck, tractor, or winch and get the tree out of the water. Any "minor" accident can become serious real fast in water.

No way to get it out without cutting first, as it's at the bottom of a ~25ft embankment with the root ball still firmly attached. I've already tried pulling it out with a small tractor then with the truck, and it did not even "acknowledge my existence".
:)

The water is only a few feet deep in that area of the pond, thus the hip waders idea. I may leave it for the bass, but with the price of gas that sure is a fair amount of firewood to rot away.

Whole thing is the fault of a pesky beaver. He felled a couple of smaller trees up on the bank which knocked this one over.

Get and old bar and chain and run it without oil. The water will act as a lube and coolant for the chain. I would drain the oil out of the saw and clean the bar and chain of any oil residue.
Good luck

I have done this a few times to clear brush and logs in creeks so water will flow instead of creating a log jam blocking the flow of water. Cutting in water is not an experience for a novice person who hasn't had much experience running a saw, nor is it something I would recommend if there is any way possible to winch it out. What is the spooky part of it is your not sure of your footing under the water, especially if the water is above your waist your also kind of half floating. The ability to control the saw is minimal at best.

As far as the saw is concerned it is not the best for it, in addition to losing lube on the bar, cold water on a hot clutch will shatter the shoes if your not careful. It is best to go in short bursts than all out type cutting to keep the heat level from building up on the bar and clutch.

Good luck you will need it.

Larry

Go to where it is 8" and use a hand saw?
Ask the beavers to half it for you? If you crouch three times while whisperring McCullough they will come expecting a photo op. Like this;

meercats.jpg

Make sure it's a good camera or all that will come are those meercat things. They drink beer too. So while you're there with all that beer and a camera maybe snap a shot of this thing for us?

bugfart said:
Go to where it is 8" and use a hand saw?[/IMG]

I was just thinking the same thing except using a large hand bowsaw that can handle larger cuts. I cut up many trees w/ large and small bow saws when I was younger and though it is slow it can be done. Just section it up some and drag out those parts till you're done.

Nothing happens real fast on ya' thats for sure...

Chaser

Toneman said:
Get and old bar and chain and run it without oil. The water will act as a lube and coolant for the chain. I would drain the oil out of the saw and clean the bar and chain of any oil residue.
Good luck

This is very bad advice.....

Ax-man said:
As far as the saw is concerned it is not the best for it, in addition to losing lube on the bar, cold water on a hot clutch will shatter the shoes if your not careful. It is best to go in short bursts than all out type cutting to keep the heat level from building up on the bar and clutch.

Good luck you will need it.

Larry

Good point Ax-man. I didn't think about this when I posted my comments.

Good comments, all. As for as pictures of Mr. Beaver, if I can get that close to him, it won't be his picture I'll be taking. Pesky critters.

Already done some work on it with the bowsaw, and did manage to get about 1/3rd of the tree out that way...that's why I am asking about the chainsaw. My arm, my arm. Just like wagonwheeler said "when I was younger".

Here ya go. Put a 6 pack and a lawn chair down by the pond. In a couple hours you can sneak up on him (or her) real easy.

Fireaxman said:
Here ya go. Put a 6 pack and a lawn chair down by the pond. In a couple hours you can sneak up on him (or her) real easy.

Alright, now that is a funny picture.

I'll go put out some beer.

just my thoughts. get something to get it out of the water. not worried about your saw , woried about u. when you make th ecut if it rolls, you are in water, nowhere to run . now you are pinned under it, did i mention you are under water with a ton of tree on you. now wouldnt that suck. you can see light and air but just cant get to it. i would leave it for the fish, if u have bass they love any kind of cover in a pond. if it has to come out, get an extenda-boom lift like the gehl or the gradall and get it out. rent one, youll operating it after a little practice. trust me i run a gehl every day and it still amazes me at what it can do. good luck, and please be safe!!!!!

How about this idea: Cut the tree at the base and then cut the top. Unless there is a 25" embankment all around the pond, use a boat to tow the log to some other area of the pond that has a low bank and then just pull the log out of the pond? Another thought: Don't beavers eat trees? If you just left it won't the beavers dismantle the tree this winter?

Latest posts

Back