Oak score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIspecial

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
On my way back from my lunch break I saw some county tree guys taking down a large oak. So after work I grabbed my 2171 and headed back over there. They had the limbs and brush chipped and the trunk was on the ground, near the road. I walked over to the crew leader and asked if I could have the trunk. He said "Have at it". It was a 32", 20' log. I started cutting 16" rounds and then went to quartering them. After getting 2, quartered the crew leader walked up and asked if I was going to quarter all of the rounds. I said that was the only way I could load them in my pick-up. He told me to move my truck and back up to the chipper. He then loaded up the rounds in the back of the truck with the grapple on the chipper.:clap: We were able to get quite a few on the 1 ton. And what was left of the trunk he lifted and set on blocks so it was easier to cut. Heck of a nice guy! Even gave me his card, and asked for my number. He does side jobs and said that he would hook me up with wood.

Sounds like a sweet deal!

I bet a lot of good firewood went through the chipper, though. A tree with a trunk that big had to have had some healthy sized limbs on it.

That never happens to me.........

When chat up the tree guys trying to score a little firewood, they always tell me it all gets chipped and sold to the wood chip-to-energy plant. :cry::cry:

Awsome score...let him know if hes up in the Wixom/Novi area I'll take some of what he gave you!!

He told me to move my truck and back up to the chipper. He then loaded up the rounds in the back of the truck with the grapple on the chipper.

Sounds like you were on a roll. With luck like that, a mere suggestion might have convinced him to follow you home to split and stack for you too. :)

I'd find where they're out of and leave a 12 of something good for them with a note of thank you :cheers:

Find out what kind of beer that they link and you'll have more wood than you care to deal with. In our area everything that goes in to the chipper ends up in the landfill or later burned with the brush piles from the home owners.

If I knew then what I know now. Just got my 5036 up and going today. Gott'a love that free heat... Nice Score!!

I slipped the guy a 20 spot, for loading me. He didn't want it but it saved me a hour of work. The only bad part of this is I rolled one of the rounds out of the truck and it cracked the driveway:angry: I had another post going about learning more about climbing so maybe I can work something out with this guy. He has been doing tree work for 30 years.

(Airhorn Blowing...)

SCORE!!!!!!!!

If the guy calls ya on any more wood to snag, make sure to bring a dozen ice cold Dude flowers.

Beer Lubricates the mechanism of good will.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back