Oak Tree: in danger of falling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elleclay

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello! I'm sure everyone in the NE is busy with clean-up. Thankfully we weren't hit too hard in SE Va.

I have a neighbor's oak tree leaning towards our home and hanging over my property. It is a very tall tree, and probably two-three feet in diameter. There is some rot and branches have fallen off, however the majority have been smaller sticks. Nothing too big has fallen our way yet. I've attached pictures to see what professionals think. We are planning to send a certified letter to the neighbor to let him know we are concerned (The neighbor is currently living with his girlfriend which makes communication non-existant.)

Thanks in advance!

Sure its leaning but it look relatively healthy from the pics. Every tree has some deadwood so you'll always have lots to rake up ;) That being said every tree is a potential hazard, this one just doesnt have much of that potential I dont think. IMO

looks like a tree to me :msp_biggrin:

I see no reason that your neighbor has any obligation to do anything to that tree
at best I think all you can do is offer to pay to have the tree dead wooded and trimmed a little if your that concerned.

to answer your initial question yes the tree is in danger of falling! so is every other tree on the planet! we have done jobs where you look at the tree and wonder why the tree failed when there was no wind no decay nothing outa whack at all but your pulling the tree off a house anyhow. Then you have the trees we remove that you have no idea how they are still standing 90% rotted leaning and made it through the 70 mph winds the week before

Agreed..looks vigorous.The thing that ''might'' be a problem is the fact that most of the weigth is in the upper canopy..The lean and the crown weight are acting like a lever.There's three trees in that group?More than likely their root systems are grafted/interlaced making them more stable than if it were a single tree.

A certified letter?Puts th HO on notice.The problem is..If it does fall you'll have to prove neglience...Tough call..

The consensus seems to be no major problem.:)

Last edited:
I guess the main concern is that if you notify this guy by mail, then he doesn't cut the tree, he is liable, however, if you don't worry about the tree, and it falls on your house (fix the house) his homeowners insurance (if he has such) will be liable for the damage assuming the tree is on his property and assuming he does in fact have homeowners insurance.

Thats just how it has been explained to me in the past by insurance adjusters.
The last job I did was because insurance said the tree owner needed to take down the problem trees. Homeowner in this case was a responsible person and said take care of the leaners.

Good luck
Tree looks healthy and White Oaks (or Jack Oak whatever hat one is)are generally pretty strong trees.

If you are really that concerned, why don't you contact an arborist to do an evaluation of the tree? Why ask for free advice here?

Because I wanted to know if my concern was correct or unfounded, and because the advice is available. I may choose to contact an arborist as well.

Thank you for your responses, you have given me peace of mind that there isn't imminent danger. Will probably have an arborist come out and have his opinion.

The reason we're trying to be proactive is because during Irene, we had another neighbor's large oak fall into our backyard. Thankfully it couldn't have fallen in a better place, missing all surrounding homes and garages. But it was a huge job to clean up, and we would rather not relive that plus major structural damage to the house.

I'll load a picture for the curious. I'll also get a few more of the current tree for the person who asked.

I agree that you should get an arborist out to assess the tree, but from the pics I would not be too concerned. It doesn't look like the roots are heaving on the backside, or any visible cracks in the trunk. Check your state laws, but in many cases you would have the right to cut the tree at the property line if you desired.

Good luck.

Here in PA, it is considered a act of god, and you would be responsible to clean it up yourselfs. If it hits your house, your home owners insurance will pay for the clean up, not theres.

Doesn't appear to be any lower structual trunk/ root problems.There are some dead broken/stubbed branches...not your concern as they are over the HO property.As far as the fallen debris on your propery....There's the ''zen'' of raking..:laugh::l

Oh we're ok with the clean-up - just thought maybe you could tell something from the branches... the squirrels love the acorns ;)

That's a lovely tree - even if it is leaning toward your place!

Am I the only one who sees some strange wide-angle lens effect in several of the photos - exaggerating the lean of the tree and even making the structural walls of the houses appear to be leaning, too? I realize that the tree is really and truly leaning, but those leaning walls look like a fairy-tale house in a weird dream. :msp_biggrin:

Am I the only one who sees some strange wide-angle lens effect in several of the photos - exaggerating the lean of the tree and even making the structural walls of the houses appear to be leaning, too? I realize that the tree is really and truly leaning, but those leaning walls look like a fairy-tale house in a weird dream. :msp_biggrin:

I was just about to mention that, it was the first thing I noticed too. I think there is only one picture that accurately shows the slight lean, the one where the house isn't distorted too.

Back