Oak tree losing leaves in Summer (July)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoVaRob

Reaction score
I have a fairly large Oak tree that is about 20 years old. The past three years the has begun to lose leaves in July. The tree starts thinning out and just keeps on until its almost bare by fall. My yard is full of leaves to the point that we had to rake leaves this past weekend. We have had very hot summer this year, but the past two years haven't been that scorching. I placed water bags on it last year, but it didn't seem to make any difference. I'm stumped and could use some advice.

picture.php
picture.php

when was it pruned last? looks thick, with big crossing branches.

poor air movt = fungal habitat

Oak Tree pruning

Thanks for the reply....the oaks were last pruned about 5 - 6years ago. I have three of them and the other two are healthy with large acorns growning. This one has been shedding its tiny acorns just as fast as the leaves. I'm going to have someone come out to see about pruning the trees and see if that helps. My question is always how far back should they be cut back. I hate it when the guy tries to become Edward Scissor Hands and the trees look bare.

When is the right time of year to have these pruned?

now is fine

click the link in my sig for pruning info. bad pruning can screw a tree up forever.

Drought conditions in the south often cause most hardwoods like oak and poplar, to go into an early dormancy period just like your lawn. All the poplars on my mountain farm in NC are in this early dormancy due to extremely hot and dry conditions of late June and July. The leaves are already turning yellow and dropping. This dormancy is a survival reaction to drought conditions and is not unusual in the southern appalachians.

....the oaks were last pruned about 5 - 6years ago. I have three of them and the other two are healthy with large acorns growning. This one has been shedding its tiny acorns just as fast as the leaves...

With three trees in the same yard, two of which are doing well, and one doing poorly, it is doubtful this is environmental. This tree is under stress. How about some more pictures as suggested, including the root flare and the other healthy trees.

Before something can be corrected, we need to know what is wrong.

Dave

I agree with David and CT re wanting more pictures. Are the other two oaks just as thick?

I also am not sure I would recommend pruning a red oak at this time of year. Is Oak Wilt not a factor in this portion of Virginia? I am not suggesting this is OW, the symptoms don't match; just being hypercautious if the pathogen is near.

Sylvia

Back