Oak...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw18x

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thanks...it went in the pile for next year with the locust. I know you guys will say 2 years to season but for the OWB I'll probably split it next spring and burn it the following winter.

250080d1345918788-o1-jpg

I agree with pin Oak.

Rrrrr that be some nice pin oak there matey.
Rum night :)

Looks like it's got some good checks on the end already and bark lifting so if you split now it will be more than ready for next fall.
In a pinch late this year.

I agree though for most oaks they just seem to be better firewood the second year.

Well here's what happened: I stockpiled a bunch of wood (12 or 14 pickup truck loads) doing my own scrounging this Spring. Then my first son was born in May and all my free time went towards building a splitter, so I didn't get to cut into that pile until third week in July. This other tree service where I got the oak is a sure thing, their lot is about 2 miles away and I have a standing deal to load from the "scrap" side of their pile with their Bobcat whenever I want. So Monday this week I decide I better show my face down there to make sure they still remember me and what do I see in the "scrap" pile when I pull in? This oak + a bunch of honey locust. I hauled out two truckloads of locust and oak plus a little bit of ash (!) I found on the end of the pile, and planned on going back later in the week for more.

That's the good news...bad news is, I pulled in on Friday and they had done some cleanup work in the meantime, the rest of that locust and oak is buried out of sight. Last thing I want to do is screw up a good deal by making a mess with the Bobcat looking for it, guess I'll just have to keep working through that pile until I find it again! That's one good thing about the OWB, it's pot luck what I find down there but I can burn it all, and nice little finds like this are what make scrounging so much fun.

If it smells like Oak, Looks like Oak, Cuts like Oak and splits like Oak..... Then it probably Oak :msp_biggrin:

Back