Occasional user looking for good saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As has been said, go with one where there is a good dealer closeby. For myself, we went with Stihl primarily because of the dealer situation and of course complete satisfaction with the product. It's hard to buy another brand when I have parts sticking out my ears for the Stihl 025 - 250.

We burn a few of them up and maybe there are some better. Have a Jonsered dealer that would be highly considered. You won't go wrong with Stihl 250 for your application.

I am going to purchase a saw within the next month. I have a maculough that is hardly worth starting(if it would). I plan on partially heating my house with wood. I have two questions for all you experts. 1. What is the best saw you would recommend for a novice at a reasonable price? 2. Has anyone ever used a heatilator constitution high eff. fireplace?, If So, how do you like it?

Thanks for your time

I plan on cutting a couple cords a year Mostly Oak 14" dia. Max. I would like to spend $200-$300 if possible. Thanks for all your input already.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Ok timberrat, read the above and explain this to me? I gather from you're sig, he should buy the ms260? This is a homeowner, doing homeowner work, with small wood. Or am I misreading you're post and the fact that this has been asked a hundred times?

Husky 350 or 2150 Jonsered. Orange or Red, your choice.

I have been staying out of the "What should I buy post"
But from what I have read those are two good choices.
So far this thread has not gone off beat to "Spend more get more"

if you intend on heating your house with wood and plan on doing it for more than a year or so,I would look towards pro quality saws.

What is the best saw you would recommend for a novice at a reasonable price?

What dealers do you have in your area? You would benefit from having a dealer provide support if you have any problems or questions.

In my area, Stihl is the dominant brand with the most/best dealers.

I would 1st determine which brand has the best support in your area and then dial in a saw from that brand.

I'm with these guys. IF you have a Husky dealer, the 350 (or Jonsered 2152, red version of same saw) gets my vote too. Really good saw for the money. A 50cc class saw will cut big enough stuff when you come across it, and not take forever to get through the smaller stuff you will cut a lot of. Don't cheap out on this purchase, it just isn't worth it in the long run if you want to heat with wood. A better saw will more than pay for the cost differential in short order.

Mark

Have to agree with the 350, had two of them and they were a nice saw. But.............. for only hundreds more..............a 3120 might be just what you need:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: (I just couldn't resist!:laugh: )

chainsaw

Husky 350, plenty of power, 18' bar, won't have to bend over cutting on the ground as much and user friendly when it comes to starting and idling.:popcorn:

I'm with these guys. IF you have a Husky dealer, the 350 (or Jonsered 2152, red version of same saw) gets my vote too. Really good saw for the money. A 50cc class saw will cut big enough stuff when you come across it, and not take forever to get through the smaller stuff you will cut a lot of. Don't cheap out on this purchase, it just isn't worth it in the long run if you want to heat with wood. A better saw will more than pay for the cost differential in short order.

Mark

A 2152 is a 353 in red clothing. The 2150 is the red version of the 350.

Any quality saw around 50cc will do well for your use. I'm amazed only one person has weakly tried to upsell you into a bigger saw so far though, that's a rarity on here :laugh: .

I Have Gathered

I truely appreciate all the help. Sorry to ask the question that has been asked alot. Judging by what I have read, the Hus 350 will probably be my choice. I can tell that chainsaws are alot like vehicles in that your either a chevy fan, and hate fords or vice versa.

Well, I drive a Dodge and the chain aeint broke yet.

Thanks again

I truely appreciate all the help. Sorry to ask the question that has been asked alot. Judging by what I have read, the Hus 350 will probably be my choice. I can tell that chainsaws are alot like vehicles in that your either a chevy fan, and hate fords or vice versa.

Well, I drive a Dodge and the chain aeint broke yet.

Thanks again

Newbies, newbies newbies :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Stihl MS280

I ended up buying a Stihl ms280. They were out of the 270 so they gave me a280 for around the same price. Any input on this saw? I'm going to use it this weekend and see how I like it.

Great little saw, fill it up and put it to the wood... buy the way I hope you have some ppe...chaps eye and ear protection the way to go...just me 3 cents...bob

I would advise you to buy the Stihl 029 Farm Boss. You can get a new one with the case for about $330.00. I ran one for nearly 8 years with no problem what so ever.

that's a good deal....way better than the going rate around here. you're lookin at 349 plus case (but we throw in a chain with a case) here...and as for the 250, I find the husky 350 a lot easier to start for it's size with the deco valve, but both good buys

Back