Odd sound in my chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RikBrooks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Poulan Pro 42cc that I bought as my first chainsaw a couple of years ago. I'm afraid that the manual didn't tell me much - basically how to change the bar and chain, put in gas and oil, and how to start the thing... along with some safety tips like "don't try to change the chain while the saw is running."

Basically it said that all maintenance should be done by pros.

I just bought a SOLO 94cc and it had a REAL MANUAL and I'm learning so much. I'm learning from here too and losing my fear of maintaining the saw.

My Poulan Pro has started making a noise when it idles. It's a high pitched bell-like noise. ting-ting-ting-ting Maybe four or five tings per second.

Does that sound familiar?

Put the chain brake on while it's making this noise. If it stops, it's the clutch drum.

Not necesarily, My 361 does this and it barely has 10 tanks through it... Ide just run it till it breaks...
so does my 460 but he didn't ask about either one of them.
If his saw is 2yrs old chances are good the spur needs replaced any way.
I would replace it before ruining a chain, especially if its bent which I suspect.

It is probably the first signs of the clutch springs getting a bit weak, if the chain starts turning at idle then they will need changing.

I would make sure that the idle is not set a tad too high as this can get the centrifugal clutch tapping the clutch drum making this noise and the chain spinning if much to high.

Spud

I have a Poulan Pro 42cc that I bought as my first chainsaw a couple of years ago. I'm afraid that the manual didn't tell me much - basically how to change the bar and chain, put in gas and oil, and how to start the thing... along with some safety tips like "don't try to change the chain while the saw is running."

Basically it said that all maintenance should be done by pros.

I just bought a SOLO 94cc and it had a REAL MANUAL and I'm learning so much. I'm learning from here too and losing my fear of maintaining the saw.

My Poulan Pro has started making a noise when it idles. It's a high pitched bell-like noise. ting-ting-ting-ting Maybe four or five tings per second.

Does that sound familiar?

It means 5 Cajun angels are getting their wings, every second!!!!

If they are Heavan's or Hell's, well that should be asked in the "OFF TOPIC
LIMBO"......

Otherwise, don't worry about it, just the clutch "tinging" the drum as it idles.

MakDolly 520 DCS

I have heard that sound from this saw, once I goose the throttle to
WFO, sound goes away. I had the clutch drum off last year to change
rim sprocket pitch, greased the bearing while at it, not too concerned
about the pinging.

Latest posts

Back