OEM or Meteor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redunshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Almost ready to install the piston on my 359 conversion to a 357xp. Cylinder is fine but original piston is toast. Question. Is it worth spending $70-$80 on an OEM piston or will a Meteor suffice. Is it a matter of performance or longevity?

Be careful changing rings on a aftermarket piston,a lot of time they have thicker rings and it won't run long with a ring that's to thin.

Be careful changing rings on a aftermarket piston,a lot of time they have thicker rings and it won't run long with a ring that's to thin.
Good advice......but I have never seen that with Meteors.....but definitely a good thing to check.....like checking end gap....as far as I know Meteors all come with Caber rings.

OEM pistons are generally lighter, but meteors are excellent.

I try to reuse the oem pin if it's possible. The meteor pin is where a lot of the increased weight comes into play.

OEM pistons are generally lighter, but meteors are excellent.

I try to reuse the oem pin if it's possible. The meteor pin is where a lot of the increased weight comes into play.
Thanks. Ordered a meteor piston with caber rings. Also ordered oem circlips. Guess I'll use the meteor wrist pin as the one I have is off an old 13 mm piston and don't believe it will fit the newer 15 mm Pistons.

Meteor pistons are fine, but I stay with OEM jugs.
This.

Meteor piston, caber rings(if the piston doesn't come with cabers), OEM clips.
Make sure they're not the newer F-Cast rings. Make sure the OEM clips are of the same gauge wire.

Not a problem. All you have to do is measure them.

Take care that the pins are the same length. A longer pin can cause the clips to not seat in the groove.

Back