Off topic: Can't hold back much longer....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't know that answer yet, wdchuck. Hubby has to stay close to home for a time yet because of clinic appointments and various medical biopsies.

Cute story about kids understanding: One of our sons was explaining to his 3 yr. old what is going on with Grampa (no more drive lines powering the mechanical heart, no more bandages on his tummy, no more batteries, etc.). The little one put 2 and 2 together and said, "Then Grandpa can go swimming with me next year!" :) (smart kid! Takes after her Grandma!) Now their other little one, 2 yrs. old is walking around the house all day with her life jacket on saying "Poppa, now? Poppa now?" :) She's had her life jacket on for at least 4 days now and refuses to take it off! :)

Shari

My FIL had a pig valve put in a little while back. Our 4yo son's known this for a while. It was funny when we told him where bacon comes from a while back - and he said, "just like from gramps."

On another note - has the procedure affected his sense of taste? I know that sometimes that gets lost temporarily.

Words cannot express how happy i am for you both. I'm confident you both are gonna come out great! And thanks to the donor and family for having the compassion to share such a precious gift. Shari, hubby has a dang good wife.....Lanny

I am so glad to hear that hubby received his donor heart. I hope that all goes well in the healing process and that he will soon be able to help you with the wood chores again. Only time will tell us how he will do , You will be in my prayers along with the donor family for making such a good gift. Stay strong there is always a crackling fire for light at the end of the tunnel.

Beefie

God bless to you and the donor family. Don't forget he is supposed to hug that pillow for some time. The people who I know that had there chest opened, hugged that pillow.

God bless to you and the donor family. Don't forget he is supposed to hug that pillow for some time. The people who I know that had there chest opened, hugged that pillow.

Mike & all,

Hubby has had three surgeries in 22 months; each was major heart surgery; two of those surgeries were to implant artificial hearts; the third was this heart transplant; each time they went in through the breast bone. As they say in the medical field "Hubby was no longer a 'virgin chest'".

As an update: He continues to do well. We have heard that the survival rate of this type of surgery is 96% - that is surviving surgery only, not a statistic of long-term heart transplant survival.

They have a transplant support group at our hospital. One of the transplant patients has, so far, survived 13 yrs. after transplant.

Our oldest grand-daughter is 3 yrs. old. We have hopes hubby will be around to dance at our oldest grand-daughters wedding - 20 or so years from now. :)

We are going through $$ shock at the cost of one of his medicines, $2,000 per month AFTER our insurance covers their portion just for that one prescription. I have to do some phone calling tomorrow to see if there is any financial assistance for this one drug - this cost is crazy! Overall, it should cost us around $2,800 out-of-pocket for initial meds. After 3-4 months the number of prescription is decreased so the $$ will go down a bit.

So much so for installing our woodstove this winter, sounds like we will continue paying the oil man for awhile....... :mad:

Edit: Oops - I forgot his "minor" surgery when he had his pacemaker/defibulator installed.

Shari

Thoughts and prayers are with you guys. We have been down this road with my brother, 3 years and 3 months with new to him lungs!! So far so good!! Keep your faith!!!

Latest posts

Back