Oh 64 rebuild.... On the cheap.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol... I don't even remember. I'll have to look and let you know. The only reason I have that paint is because we used it at my old job on tractor trailers. They got a ridiculous deal on it so I bought some from them for a project.

I usually use nanson, duponts off brand, and I usually spray base clear. Me having this paint is a fluke really.

Edit.....ChromaOne.....

Ps.... Derail away! Remember... I'm ADD. I love a good derailment!
oh, I have a 064 on my bench too lol. I used imron and centari years ago.........can't seem to paint right with this newer stuff........or....I just getting old n can't paint lol.
ADD......meh, I don't really believe in that. your doin fine.

Oh.. I believe add is real.... I just don't think kids need drugs to fix it. If I play video games and sit inside all day I get fidgety too. When I was a kid, I lived in the woods by my house. I was a roughian:) outside playing all day long. I came home tired and my mind was still rolling through ideas when I went to sleep. I was actually tested as a little boy for being slow in school when they found out I have a genius iq. Go figure... Some kids just have too much to process at one time when they're little. I think it's a blessing now, but my wife wouldn't mind if I was a bit better at finishing projects or if I would stop bringing home so many new ones...lol

I use my spastic life as an example now for all the little spazwads I encounter at church with our outreach programs. So many kids that people sit in corners that are just waiting to be understood and allowed to be crazy kids..:)

I'm still always bored haha. My wife says I have a 10% problem. Every project I start gets done 90% before I get tired of it and move on to something else.

Well, here a couple pics of the ported cylinder. It has a couple deep groves in bad spots. I'm not sure bat it, but I leave it in the hands of you more experienced than I.

The pics aren't great, but the big marks I'm worried about are the one right at the top of the exhaust port and the other long one on the left. What say you saw boys? The pics are bad, but let me know if you want more.

I stopped at my local body shop and picked up some more grey white in a base coat so I may go with that now. We shall see. I would rather just blow single stage on it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 126
Meteor will be arriving Wednesday. I got a piston from Keith too and I think I may throw it together with that one for now to see how she looks after a little run time. The pic doesn't show it but that top middle scratch is kinda deep and looks like it may be a bit of an issue. I'm anal retentive about this kind of thing though so it may not matter.

FWIW, I've been told those small scratches will fill in with carbon.

I still haven't ordered bearings and a case gasket. I'm just too cheap after the huskys I've rebuilt and cant bring myself to spend the $$ on a 50 dollar bearing yet. But.... I hate to go cheap.

Besides that,I have been so busy I can't keep up. I sold a bunch of saws lately to local buddies and I had to go over all of them before the sales. And, I started to make more of my side business of buying and selling so I'm trying to figure out all of the tax stuff too while hitting all the auctions I can and that's eating up my extra $$$ big time. Know a good CPA?

As for the saw,
I've got one scratch on the ported jug that still gouges the piston with no rings that I need to try to polish a little more. I. Got the middle one pretty good with a little mandrel I made to hold I dremel buffing wheel and then use valve grinding compound on it. Worked awesome. Hopefully soon it'll be ready to rip!

I know... My dealer quoted 52. That's crazy. I have a sleeve of USA made bca bearings for every husky size and I have 30 bucks in all 30 bearings from ebay scrounging. I will win this one in the end. I'd love to have this saw to use and not sell so I have to take my time. Every time I pay retail for something, one falls in my lap the next week. :)

IMG_5382 (Large).JPG IMG_5381 (Large).JPG IMG_5097 (Large).JPG IMG_5099 (Large).JPGHave been following your 064 rebuild with interest, just been down that path. Great saw, it was worth the effort! Took me about 2 months of searching for parts and then still only managed to partially avoid the Stihl retail cartel. I was in no rush and it turned out to be a rewarding project. Here's some before and after pics.

That is some nice encouragement :). I do have one thing I've been saving for a time like this... Picked this up a few years ago for 20 bucks and just couldn't bring myself to sell it... I'm glad I hung onto it now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 46
Nice bar! Ha ha, that Stihl ES 25" above I picked up at an auction for $30, it's also been hiding in the workshop waiting for the right saw...

Sooo... Parts are scrounged and other projects finished... Time for some ooooooooh sixty four!
I'm not sure it's getting painted/ coated. It's to stinkin cold in my shop that my blaster and coaster is in and I'm just not feeling the paint... I think it will just be an ole girl with war wounds....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 38
Wow Kris I forgot about this one. Mike has this thing with pretty saws see, they gots to be pretty. Mike give me a call I got a saw that I think maybe just maybe I want to be pretty.

Back