Oh boy, this ain't good, MS441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately I know how this feels :cry: Sorry this happened Mark!! I'm sure NorthWood will take care of everything. I'll be seeing the owner of the 441 I repaired this evening, I'm curious to know how the saws running.

Andy, I know of all people you would know that feeling. :laugh:

Ok now I'll tell the rest of the story and a lesson to be learned from it.

I called about a new P/C today but wouldnt think of asking for a warranty on it. Reason is that with all this BS discussions about A.M. P/C's I was a little gun shy about them myself and was not really happy with this cyl when I got it as the exhaust port looked to have very little chamfer on it. The rest of the ports did look good though.

Since I knew the owner would be wanting the saw soon, I didnt want to send it back and loose that time or take a chance of it hooking a ring so I went ahead and cleaned up the exhaust port lightly and gave the port a very tiny bit more chamfer on it myself.

Long story short it still hooked a ring and if you modify the part you cannot expect the company to stand behind it. Would it have hooked a ring anyway? I dont know, I'm thinking so. With the rest of the ports looking good I think this was just one of the ones that slipped by.

The company did offer to send me one at a very nice discount and promised it would be shipped out today. Very stand up people.

I'll check the other one close when it gets here but it will get bolted straight on out of the box.

Andy, I know of all people you would know that feeling. :laugh:

The company did offer to send me one at a very nice discount and promised it would be shipped out today. Very stand up people.

I'll check the other one close when it gets here but it will get bolted straight on out of the box.

Sure isn't a good feeling!!

Glad NorthWood is helping you out.

The 441 I had is still running great after 6 months in commercial use. I was up front with the owner when using the AM top end, I said it could last one minute, one week or indefinitely. Using these kits is a bit of a gamble, but if they work, an old saws can live to cut another day.:cheers:

Sure isn't a good feeling!!

Glad NorthWood is helping you out.

The 441 I had is still running great after 6 months in commercial use. I was up front with the owner when using the AM top end, I said it could last one minute, one week or indefinitely. Using these kits is a bit of a gamble, but if they work, an old saws can live to cut another day.:cheers:

Well its good to know that its still running fine, I expect better luck out of the next kit. Hope to get it going by the weekend for him at least.

BTW, I like that new avatar! it rocks. :laugh:

Just trying to eyeball from the pics,
but looks like the ring end was gonna be close to the port edge.
Is it practical time wise or worth the work to measure the width and index the port location ?
=
bear in mind this monocular diplopia thing makes it tough to gauge at certain spacings now.
Can't read a vernier scale anymore on account of it.

The replacement jug showed up today so soon as I got home I got busy and got the saw put back together, had just a wee bit of light left to give it a run. Runs good too.

Like I said, was in a rush to get it back together so the owner could have it for tomorrow, so no pics etc. I will say that the jug this time looked really pretty good all over, ports looked good, all of them.

Had a bit of trouble with that throttle cable not letting it come all the way back to idle, had to tear back into it. Not sure what I did to fix it but its fine now. Kinda a cheesy linkage setup if you ask me for a high dollar saw, but I guess it works.

Set it up a little rich since its going right out to work tomorrow!

The replacement jug showed up today so soon as I got home I got busy and got the saw put back together, had just a wee bit of light left to give it a run. Runs good too.

Like I said, was in a rush to get it back together so the owner could have it for tomorrow, so no pics etc. I will say that the jug this time looked really pretty good all over, ports looked good, all of them.

Had a bit of trouble with that throttle cable not letting it come all the way back to idle, had to tear back into it. Not sure what I did to fix it but its fine now. Kinda a cheesy linkage setup if you ask me for a high dollar saw, but I guess it works.

I know man. The whole throttle linkage setup is worthless on these saws. I never hear about them breaking but they do seem weak IMO. The on/off/choke lever feels weak too. It feels like it would break when you push it to choke. If you let the throttle off a bit when pushing it down it goes down easily though. It's not near as stout as other Stihls.

I know man. The whole throttle linkage setup is worthless on these saws. I never hear about them breaking but they do seem weak IMO. The on/off/choke lever feels weak too. It feels like it would break when you push it to choke. If you let the throttle off a bit when pushing it down it goes down easily though. It's not near as stout as other Stihls.

???? So you have never heard of one breaking, I know of over 20 441's that I have never heard of the levers breaking. I personally have put as much or more time on a 441 than most anyone around in a logging setting and your comment is "The whole throttle linkage setup is worthless on these saws." ???????? How so, you don't even know of one breaking.

The switch on the 441's is one of the easiest and most user friendly systems on a saw, ever designed, you don't have to hunt around or push hard to get it to do exactly what you want it to do. How on earth you could break it and it not be due to shear stupidity is beyond me.

If you let the throttle off a bit when pushing it down it goes down easily though.

You do know that is how they were designed to be operated don't you??? Because based on the above statement it appears that you don't know how to operate it, and therefore it would lead someone such as yourself to think that the switch is about to break, when in reality, it must be very strong if you have been operating it incorrectly and it hasn't stripped or broken yet.

Sam

I have to agree, of the four Stihls I have bought in the last year, the 441 control lever feels the most flimsy to me. And I have run two different 441s that each had a different feel to the lever (neither was great).

My 261 lever works fine, but also has a flimsy feel similar to the 441. I'm kind of neutral on the 461 lever -- it works OK, no complaints.

I don't own a 362, but ran one of those recently and it has a real nice lever -- very stout with firm and positive feel.

???? So you have never heard of one breaking, I know of over 20 441's that I have never heard of the levers breaking. I personally have put as much or more time on a 441 than most anyone around in a logging setting and your comment is "The whole throttle linkage setup is worthless on these saws." ???????? How so, you don't even know of one breaking.

The switch on the 441's is one of the easiest and most user friendly systems on a saw, ever designed, you don't have to hunt around or push hard to get it to do exactly what you want it to do. How on earth you could break it and it not be due to shear stupidity is beyond me.

You do know that is how they were designed to be operated don't you??? Because based on the above statement it appears that you don't know how to operate it, and therefore it would lead someone such as yourself to think that the switch is about to break, when in reality, it must be very strong if you have been operating it incorrectly and it hasn't stripped or broken yet.

Sam

I think I know how to operate a chainsaw Sam. You ain't the only man here that runs a saw for a living. I own, love, and run a 441C everyday too bud. But the control lever is flimsy as hell and I think most will agree. Yea, I know to let up the throttle when pushing it down. Did I not just post that I did in "the above statements"? Read back and see. I posted the proper way to do it for people that did'nt know how. So yea, I guess I'm doing it wrong everyday, even though I know the right way to do it? Your just always looking to sling that internet mouth around on here, implying people are stupid or inferior to your almighty ass if they don't agree with you. Little man complex?

Last edited:
I have a 441 I bought a little over a year ago and it been fine so far! I don't know if it's a C or not,how do you tell and what's the difference? Thanks

I have a 441 I bought a little over a year ago and it been fine so far! I don't know if it's a C or not,how do you tell and what's the difference? Thanks

The 441C has the m-tronic (auto adjusting) carb. It has a "C" on the starter cover next to the number "441". If yours has carb adjustments then it's the regular 441.

They're both good running saws.

Good deal Mark..:)

Sam

Sam, your getting to be very predictable and boring.

Please take your Stihl flag waving and insults to some other thread. Better yet, go start your own.

Latest posts

Back