Oh yes, another fuel topic...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nix

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So, just wondering what you all think about using different quality of fuel. As in 87, 89 or 93 octane gas in your saws.

When I got my last saw (the husky) it was having trouble jumping to full revs right off, even when running for a few minutes. It'd just kinda bog down for a sec before taking off. I adjusted the carb a little bit which helped, but didn't fix it completely (made it a ton better though). I was running 87 octane fuel mix and decided to try 93 for the first time (never run anything but the 87). Now the saw maxes out right after starting, and just overall runs better.

My only concern is... well, is 93 actually Okay for a saw? I've heard mixed things on it, some say it burns cooler and others say it totally screws up the carb with filth. The deal I bought it from runs 87 only, but that's just because it's cheapest. He said 93 is just a higher quality gas and would probably burn a bit better.

Any replies would be appreciated.

If you notice an improvement in performance in the higher octain. Run it!! Its not going to hurt anything. I beleive manufactures say their saws run on 89 or what ever to appeal to a buyer thinking they dont have to run the expensive fuel. That doesnt mean it won't do better running on higher or lower grade fuel. My personnal opinion is keep it fresh what ever you feel runs better and you cant go wrong.

Ah, Okay. That makes sense. ^_^

Also, my other question was just that... how long does a mix stay fresh? I don't put any stabilizers in it, but I know the Stihl oil has fuel stabil in it. Does the Husky xp oil?

I don't do as much cutting in the winter (can't see the wood!), so I wonder if I should be keeping mix throughout the winter months when it doesn't all get used up. Should I get rid of it and make fresh for when I get cutting again (which I do in the winter, just not as much) or is it alright to let it sit for a while?

I dont know about the husky oil having stabilizer I dont use it. Should say on the bottle if it does. Some other options to think about is 50 fuel if you can find it. It is pricey but getting more popular. Around here it is $5.00 a Qt...This stuff has no ethanol, extened shelf life,89 octane and premixed already, or try an additive like stabile or startron. I cant speak for any of them. I have not used them but I have not heard anything bad about them...3 months is my max for me... I by 5 gal at a time, mix 1, so I dont loose to much if I dont use it all and what ever is left over from my 5 gal can that doesnt go into mowers, splitter ect goes into the vehicles.

93 is perfectly fine for any saw with less than ~200psi compression, and running higher octane can actually harm performance and create tuning problems.
i keep gas for a couple of months, maybe a little longer. stabilizer help prevent degredation of the fuel, but it doesn't do anything about the hydrophillic properties of the alcohol found in nearly all fuel. a full can will absorb less water than a nearly empty can. i haven't had any carb problems using stihl ultra and doing it this way. YMMV.

I only mix 1 gallon at a time so that I am reasonably sure my fuel is fresh - but I am a homeowner with an outdoor boiler and I don't cut daily. If I am not going to be cutting for a month or two I dump the fuel out and start the saw and let it idle until it runs out of fuel.

I can get 87 Octane fuel that they deliver to farmers around here and it does not have any ethanol in it. I mix in about 25% Avgas or racing fuel just to bring the octane rating up a bit - but I am not sure that is necessary. I think is is probably OK to run fuel with ethanol in it as long as you don't let it sit for very long and keep it fresh - 2 months max. I believe it helps to keep it in a sealed container and in a place that doesn't have lots of temperature swings or direct sunlight - which would result in the cans gettting pressure/vacuum swings that would allow humid air to enter the containers.

If you are having good luck running 87/88/89/93 or whatever octane you can get locally - just keep it fresh and use a good quality full synthetic oil made for air cooled engines.

^+1
If its over a month old, into the whatever, snowblower got the end of the last gallon. Isn't worth burning up a saw, and I don't need Stabil or fresh mix for them this way.

I always run 93 octane with full synthetic in a tightly sealed container. I don't let it get more than 2 months old, or it goes into the lawnmower. Ethanol blended fuels are hygroscopic and will pull moisture from the air- (especially if its not in a tightly sealed container!) One of the articles I've read says that the fuel blenders rely on the ethanol to boost the octane level, If the ethanol gets pulled from the fuel blend due to phase separation, the octane will drop in the remaining fuel.
I've had a few incidents where I'll suspect the fuel in my saw to be stale and will drain the tank and the fuel will be cloudy- not good! So I say keep your fuel fresh, and buy at least 93 octane. to those of you who can still get non ethanol blended fuels- I'm envious!

http://fuelschool.blogspot.com/2009/02/phase-separation-in-ethanol-blended.html

The octane rating is less important than the ethanol issue. Any ethanol-free fuel is preferable to any ethanol blended fuel. We can still find pure gasoline here in both regular and premium grades. Note that when the E-15 fuel starts coming from the refineries, the gas stations are required by EPA to install double-walled storage tanks because of the corrosive nature of ethanol.

Latest posts

Back