Ohio Michigan Members

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why am I not surprised that someone from Missouri knows about Zehnder's... I was talking about Frankenmuth in general. When you manage a hotel there for 5 years, all of the happenings and festivities get a little old. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy good beer and fried chicken, but I can get that from the grocery store...

Grew up in Corunna.
Ferris State U. grad.
Class of 91
:msp_wink:

Another Bulldog, cool.

HaHa!!! We're everywhere...

attachment.php

Almost like a little MI reunion in here...

I knew/partied with some FSU people. My brother graduated from there a couple years ago. Now he's an engineer with John Deere making the big bucks... And here I sit selling cars. That's where a Northwood diploma got me.

I don't remember the name of the coney place just what went on when we were there and that the coney's were darn good. Last year I played down there was 95. I always get pegged as an FSU grad. b/c I live in Big Rapids...but i'm a GVSU grad.

I don't remember the name of the coney place just what went on when we were there and that the coney's were darn good. Last year I played down there was 95. I always get pegged as an FSU grad. b/c I live in Big Rapids...but i'm a GVSU grad.

I spent every Thursday afternoon during bow season, hanging from a tree in a Remus swamp...
:msp_wink:

Any news on this possible gtg?

I think I tried to get this going last year and we didn't have any luck. I'll offer to host again if anyone is interested. I've never been to an actual gtg before. Dumb question but what exactly happens at one of these things? Wondering what would be the best time to do this. I have a bunch of wood that we could get to right now but if we wait until the crops come off, we would have very easy access via the edge of the field.

Every been to Vegas? No one talks!

Seriously? What ever you would want to do. The one I went to was in middle Ohio, cant remember who hosted?? We ran some saws, food was good, BS'd some and went home. There was an area for swap meet to happen. We passed a hat to help with the bills and in general was a very cool time

I think I tried to get this going last year and we didn't have any luck. I'll offer to host again if anyone is interested. I've never been to an actual gtg before. Dumb question but what exactly happens at one of these things? Wondering what would be the best time to do this. I have a bunch of wood that we could get to right now but if we wait until the crops come off, we would have very easy access via the edge of the field.

Im game I don't live far from you at all.

Seriously? What ever you would want to do. The one I went to was in middle Ohio, cant remember who hosted?? We ran some saws, food was good, BS'd some and went home. There was an area for swap meet to happen. We passed a hat to help with the bills and in general was a very cool time

Bump...

I hosted my first one this summer. First, provide plenty of wood. Some big wood is nice to bring in the long bar crowd, but not absolutely necessary. Some 15 to 20 inch stuff is nice. A lot of the guys like to have logs around 10 inches on a sawbuck to do timed runs on. Makes it easy to compare. Guys start to arrive around 7 or 8am, most around 9 or so. Host provides a lunch, can be simple hamburgers/ hot dogs or get fancier if you like to cook. I fixed hamburgers and roasted some pork loins, also had sides like cole slaw and tater salad. A variety of pop (or soda if you prefer LOL) Some of the guys will bring snacks, chips, dessert. As previous poster said, guys pass the hat and donate money to help with expenses.
All in all, it was a lot of work, but worth it. I think I may do it again. View some GTG threads to see what goes on and get an idea how things were laid out. Here is a link to the one I had, the actual GTG pictures start at about page 26.
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/234023.htm
Jim

Thanks for the insight. That sounds like a good time to me!

So here it is, I'm offering to host again. I have all kinds of dead Ash to work on and I have some big 30"+ Cottonwood that can come down if we want to drop something big. I have access to tractors, trucks, and trailers if need be and all wood would be easily accessible via a wide trail and powerline right of way. I can have a couple splitters on hand as well and I might even be able to get someone to come out with a processor...

Here's the catch... It would probably need to happen by the end of September. My family farms about 400 acres of corn so once we start with that, my weekends are shot for a while. After that is hunting season and I don't want to be messing around in the woods then.

I work some weekends so I'd have to see about the Saturday but I'm proposing the 28th or 29th of September, that's 3 weeks away. Too short of notice? Otherwise we could do sometime in December but then it's a little cold...

Let's finally make this GTG happen!!

Thanks for the insight. That sounds like a good time to me!

So here it is, I'm offering to host again. I have all kinds of dead Ash to work on and I have some big 30"+ Cottonwood that can come down if we want to drop something big. I have access to tractors, trucks, and trailers if need be and all wood would be easily accessible via a wide trail and powerline right of way. I can have a couple splitters on hand as well and I might even be able to get someone to come out with a processor...

Here's the catch... It would probably need to happen by the end of September. My family farms about 400 acres of corn so once we start with that, my weekends are shot for a while. After that is hunting season and I don't want to be messing around in the woods then.

I work some weekends so I'd have to see about the Saturday but I'm proposing the 28th or 29th of September, that's 3 weeks away. Too short of notice? Otherwise we could do sometime in December but then it's a little cold...

Let's finally make this GTG happen!!

December would be cool... Can't be any colder than Grantsburg WI in February...
Deer season done, corn all in, Saw TIME!!

I'm good with December as well. Would give everyone some more time to schedule things. Having the crops off would help as well as we would be able to work from either side of the woods.

I posted this before. Satellite shot of the area we'd be working with.

253710d1348274832-satellite-shot-jpg

The piece of woods is on the left. You can see my drive way where the woods and field meet by the road.

Back