Oil mix concentrations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys new here but can shed some light on the oil thing as for the last seven years I've watched it all change. The 50:1 ratio is an epa way of making people buy equipment. Echo, dolmar, tanaka, lawn boy have all said specifically to run 32:1 in all there engines regardless of what the cap says. Personally if the machine that's running is zinging all the time like a saw use a good marine synthetic at 32:1. If in a slower spinning 2 stroke or one that sees a wide rpm range of operation use a good air cooled oil so the carbon doesn't stick to everything. Hope I helped!

Edit: sorry guys forgot to mention I've been a power equipment mechanic for 7 years. And all those recomendations of 32:1 are all directly from the manufacturers.

Last edited:
Hey guys new here but can shed some light on the oil thing as for the last seven years I've watched it all change. The 50:1 ratio is an epa way of making people buy equipment. Echo, dolmar, tanaka, lawn boy have all said specifically to run 32:1 in all there engines regardless of what the cap says. Personally if the machine that's running is zinging all the time like a saw use a good marine synthetic at 32:1. If in a slower spinning 2 stroke or one that sees a wide rpm range of operation use a good air cooled oil so the carbon doesn't stick to everything. Hope I helped!

Edit: sorry guys forgot to mention I've been a power equipment mechanic for 7 years. And all those recomendations of 32:1 are all directly from the manufacturers.

Marine synthetic? At 32:1? In a saw?

Yes sir marine oil specific ones have the right additives to help the rings stay cool under load. Especially on a tight high rpm saw like a dolmar 5100 or the like. If not after a good whooping sometimes the rings but gently not enough to stop or loose compression instantly but severely lowering the motors life expectantcy...plus the penzoil marine smells wonderful when it burns too Haha

isnt that marine oil for oil injection ,different thinner viscosity so it pumps through the oil pump ?

isnt that marine oil for oil injection ,different thinner viscosity so it pumps through the oil pump ?

Those oils are specific to the pumps like polaris quads. Older outboards you mix in the tank just like a saw. If you run regular two stroke in an injected polaris you hear expensive noises

Say what you will, but I don't measure my oil, I eyeball it. I've been buying 2 cycle marine oil for the past 3 years by the gallon it cheap and I buy it from walmarts. I also use there bar oil too. On an average week I use 7 gallons of mix, more if the chipper runs out because I will dump what I have just to get finished. I have never changed a spark plug in my life, nor have I ever seized a saw in the past 35 years. Most of my saws are 5 plus years old and used daily.

The only saw I ever siezed was my old mans XL12, straight gas in the mix can. I broke it free with a socket wrench and some wd40, he never knew the difference, I woulda got my azz beat if he ever found out.

So in my humble opinion the excat science of mixing oil is over rated

While you need oil in the gas everyone has there preference...but the proper tune is the the big piece of the puzzle. Unless ur racing make em fat and happy and they'll live forever

A good friend of mine has a stihl weedeater it is 15 years old at least. He has used nothing but the fuel out of his Jon boat it's whole life. Quicksilver is the oil and it runs like new. I use ultra but i run it at 40 to 1. During the purchase it got me an extra year on my saws warranty. I will not use any other oil in my ope. I can't trust change when it comes to what works why switch.

Accept it or not, marine oil is not made for air cooled engines. The oil people/engine makers know that and that's why they make blends for the various applications.

*I never brush my teeth and I've never had a cavity.......(J/K) but you get it :msp_wink:

Not sure if this is off topic or not but what feul do you guys run in your mix. I only run 93 in everything from my truck down to my micro 2000

TCW3 marine oil is not a good idea. Sure it will work for awhile, but I've seen a few cylinders that were ran on TCW3 oil and the amount of carbon was staggering, the cylinder was chewed up from it. You can lead a horse to water.;)

I had a like new cheapie leaf blower come in the other day with the worst case of carbon I have seen inside anything 2 stroke. :msp_scared:

I'm still trying to get the guy to tell me which oil he was using. :laugh:

Not sure if this is off topic or not but what feul do you guys run in your mix. I only run 93 in everything from my truck down to my micro 2000

I wish I could afford it for my 7.4L truck but I do run 92/93 in my OPE, mainly because that's the only stuff I can find these days without ethanol.

I wish I could afford it for my 7.4L truck but I do run 92/93 in my OPE, mainly because that's the only stuff I can find these days without ethanol.

Octane is the fuels resistance to pre ignition that's it. Octane has nothing to do with being better fuel, in fact you're better off running lower octane in engine with lower compression. Lower octane fuel actually has more energy.

I had a like new cheapie leaf blower come in the other day with the worst case of carbon I have seen inside anything 2 stroke. :msp_scared:

I'm still trying to get the guy to tell me which oil he was using. :laugh:

I've had quite a few also all of them were the cheapy homelite oil except one. That one the bought environmental friendly two stroke oil Haha which is basically bean oil for the most part. Muffler was clogged solid and the piston seized 360 degrees around the bore took an air chisel to pop it out. Then he wanted to know if.echo would cover it....

Oil thread here we go. No! 2 Cycle oils do not contain zddp, as Zinc does not burn off and will leave ash everywhere, polymers are use to eliminate ash as much as possible. Calcium is another anti wear additive use in normal engine oil, not 2 cycle oils as it would also leave deposits.

As long as you jet properly 32:1 or 40:1 will work fine in just about every non injected 2 cycle engine. 50:1 is too lean IMHO and is the cause of most premature bottom end failures IMHO.

Ummm.....Yes they do.

If you are talking about TC-W3 boat oils, then I would agree, because they are supposedly ash less type oils. They supposedly do not contain ash bearing metallics like ZDDP (zinc).

Air cooled oils, (for motorcycles and the like), are typically low ash oils, which contain low concentrations of zinc.

Bob the oil guy has some 2 stroke oil analysis' on their site.

-OMB

Latest posts

Back