Oil prices driving up firewood too?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooooooooooh! Now there's a Texas size BIG log now, yes-sir-ree-bob. Man oh man, wish I had a chainsaw big enough to cut that up with. I think my poor little 361 with a 24 inch GB bar would just not quite be up to the task (snicker snicker).

I have been dropping so many trees here we have maybe 20 more cords of wood on top of the 8 or so cords left in the rack from wood cutting this spring/summer. But man oh man, but the price of firewood around here has gone through the roof. Last year it was $120 a cord for good stuff (oak and madrone). This year its $180-200.

But that big log there... (scratching chin) wow, might last a whole day in my OWB. :biggrinbounce2:

180 to 250 a cord for hardwood, notstacked. A bit pricey in my eyes. I get my wood for free, a cut it into rounds and split my self. I have little helpers that stack it on pallets for me:). I give alot to family and friends who are appreciative of the gesture.

Whats the price of fire oil in the us?

1000Liter "264 gallon" is 1820 USD here in sweden :(

Whats the price of fire oil in the us?

1000Liter "264 gallon" is 1820 USD here in sweden :(

Heating oil here is about on par with gasoline prices. Right now it just over $3 a gallon (but going up fast with gasoline, after the price of crude oil has gone through the roof). So in terms of Sweden, we pay far less, and about $800-900 USD or a 264 gallon tank, or HALF PRICE. High Swedish taxes for you...

Also for comparison here, at $3 a gallon for heating oil, the equivalent prices would have to be paid for these other fuel sources to get the same amount of heat (so wood is still cheap at $300 a cord!):

Heating oil energy at $3 a gallon (at 83% effeciency heating) is the equivalent price as:
$1.88 /gallon for propane (at 79% efficiency heating)
$2.81/gallon for kerosene (at 80% efficiency heating)
$2.08/therm for natural gas (at 80% efficiency heating)
$0.09/kWhr for electricity (at 98% efficiency heating)
$401/cord for seasoned firewood (at 77% efficiency heating)
$354/ton for wood pellets (at 83% efficiency heating)

Last edited:
I'm getting 270-300 for a true cord this year. That price is in the middle.

Scott

i was guessing there wasn't a full cord in the ad in the OP. i guessed maybe 1.5 or two face cords....tops. plus, you would have to cut and split the wood.

I also think that the emerald ash borer isn't helping the price of firewood. Here in ohio alot of counties are in quarentine, and wood can not go in our out without proper authorization. Fuel sure as hell don't help either.

i was guessing there wasn't a full cord in the ad in the OP. i guessed maybe 1.5 or two face cords....tops. plus, you would have to cut and split the wood.

Yah, looks to be about a half cord. Though with an OWB, I wood not need to split or cut any of that wood, except that:

HUGE LOG! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

I mean, that impressive giant log wood take me a few minutes to slice and dice up, tops. I wonder if they would throw in the stump 'for free' if I were to flush cut it to the ground? I could make some curly fries splitting it in quarters. :chainsaw:

Last edited:
I was thinking of firering up the 3120 for that huge one. Firewood prices have seemed to stay about the same around here. Alot of apple and pear wood going for cheap. So maple oak red fir has stayed about the same.

I don't see how firewood prices can keep from going up. I priced diesel today at 3.39 a gallon, gasoline isn't much different. Firewood here is selling for about what it did when fuel was 1.00 a gallon. I know it's driving my prices up.:chainsaw:

Oh, and that little pile of wood? I get paid to haul that kind of stuff off.;)

Andy

even off road fuel is over $3.00 a gallon..... I don't think we will ever see $2.00 a gallon fuel ever again in our lifetimes... if it was summer I wouldn't care cause I can use 100% biodiesel but with it in the high 20's at night my truck dosent like to fire on it cold even with 3-4 cycles of the grid heater

Back