Oil type in canned pre mix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefish

I saw that...
Reaction score
I know SEF runs motul in theirs. Wondering what Tru Fuel and stihl run in their blends. I know that I like the tru fuel a lot. Totally odorless in both my saws. Russ

That's a good question. I'd really like to know what oil is in TrueFuel. The 40-Fuel version of Truefuel is dyed green. Never ran the 50-Fuel. Since that can's red, I'll bet it has red dye. Matching the color to any specific oil will be a wasted effort however. The industrial customers (VP with their SEF94, TrueFuel, Stihl, Aspen, etc) can get oil to use in their premixed, canned fuel in whatever color (and other specifications) that they want from the oil manufacturers.

While were on the subject of canned fuel, has, does, anyone ever question the accuracy of the mix ratio? I mean most you guys are pretty particular when it comes to fuel, mix oil, and ratio. Taking it for granted your getting whats printed on the label is what it is. Could have the proverbial kid from Home Depot who just lost his job for incompetence sitting at the mixing station for all we know. That said i just bought two cans of Truefuel 50 from my local farm and ranch store to have for emergency's or the like and its got me wondering. Im sure its all computer controlled and thats were the fear lies!

Im sure its mixed by machine and not some pimple face kids and im sure its all tested before its put in the cans.

The 40-Fuel version of Truefuel is dyed green. Never ran the 50-Fuel. Since that can's red, I'll bet it has red dye.

Confirmed, TruFuel 50 is (very) red. SEF94 50:1 seems kind of green-blue.

Last edited:
Info from bobistheoilguy.com says that Omni makes Stihl HP Ultra.

I think the term "makes" isn't really exactly appropriate for these types of two stroke oils.

Basically most of the recipes are proprietary and/or even the property of Stihl, Husqvarna, etc, even though they don't "make" them, or even design them.

Basically a specially bottling company that specializes in petrochemicals (omni speciality packaging for stihl, spectrum for husqvarna and many others), operates under a contract with Stihl or Husqvarna, to prepare and bottle their specific two stroke oil.

The actual origins of the oil mixes are something else entirely--I think there are sorts of special petrochemical chemistry companies that sort of make and test these things in a lab. The components of the two stroke oils are likely sourced from multiple vendors.

I have had really good luck with the True Fuel 40:1. I have been a little curious as to what oil is used, but it seems consistent. I havent been through a ton of it, mostly just use it to run saws before storing. Smells good too.

For the oil-concerned types, buy the straight SEF and put in your own oil. The 5 gallon pail is especially easy with a bottle of 5 gallon mix.

Pb where are you getting the pails? I am just down the road from you. Russ

It's on Wilson St. in Brewer. They had to order it for me before, but it only took a couple of days. I haven't had good luck with the SEF in my saws so i haven't ordered any in a couple of years.

URQUHART'S PERFORMANCE

BREWER, ME

207-989-3837

For the oil-concerned types, buy the straight SEF and put in your own oil. The 5 gallon pail is especially easy with a bottle of 5 gallon mix.

I prefer to get straight SEF94 and mix my own oil in it.

That's a good way to go. I just yesterday found out that our local airport will be carrying 91 octane unleaded eth-free gas along with the usual 100LL. They had a big 'press release' about the new fuel recently, stating they were the first in the state to sell it....blah blah blah. Called them up.........................and they told me that the 91 non-eth isn't being pumped yet (but it soon will be) and they absolutely will NOT allow me to dispense fuel into a can (be it the 'new' 91 non-eth or 100LL). Gave some BS about it being 'illegal' because they can't see what you're running it in. Dispense straight into the plane only. I'd told her that I flly 1/4 scale airplanes and run 1/5th scale RC cars that burn gasoline, and want to use fuel without ethanol..........and would absolutely NOT run the non-eth gas in a motor vehicle. Didn't matter.

The lady on the phone then told me to go to another airport nearby because (unlike the main airport that I was calling) that airport still is unfenced and you can go right to the pumps 24/7 and buy fuel with your CC. That airport/station only has 100LL though. Funny..................if it really is 'illegal' to dispense this aircraft gas into a CA approved gasoline can (as opposed to pumping right into an airplane tank)............then she just told me how to go about 'breaking the law' over the phone! What if I was an investigator with CARB or whatever agency enforces this 'law'? Makes me believe that she's FOS about it being 'illegal'. I'm hoping that the other airfield starts selling the 91 non-eth..............and doesn't get fenced in.

The last few times I've talked to VP dealers that I know if in the area (a local fuel distributor, one powersports dealer, a couple speed shops, and an auto parts store), they were always "just about" to start ordering SEF94 to stock (or they weren't planning on selling it at all), and didn't want to order one pail at a time for me (said something aobut 'minimum orders'). Got the same story a few times over the last year. They only stock a few VP fuels, mostly for the motorcycle racing crowd here. Mostly high octane, OXYGENATED stuff. That means it's got ethanol, and has a MUCH higher octane rating than I want Hopefully they'll pull their head out and either start stocking the SEF94 or at least order pails when the customer asks....

http://www.sonomajetcenter.com/Unleaded.pdf

Back